View Poll Results: Whom would you rather play on Thursday?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely Arizona

28 28.00%
  • Leaning Arizona

27 27.00%
  • Don't care; just glad we survived Michigan

36 36.00%
  • Leaning Texas

6 6.00%
  • Definitely Texas

3 3.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Whom would you rather play Thursday?

Who's everyone rooting for in this Texas-Arizona game? Arizona has the best post player in Derrick Williams, but Texas has better post depth. Both could give us trouble. Personally, I think I rather play Arizona, but just slightly seeing as we've been able to beat teams with just one post guy. That player will usually kill us, but we can hang on the boards overall because we're better than everyone else. Even with Williams, Arizona isn't a good offensive rebounding team, which should be huge for us.

Arizona because it helps my bracket

I think the basic strategy would be have Singler neutralize Williams, and let the other guys win 4 on 4.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Who's everyone rooting for in this Texas-Arizona game? Arizona has the best post player in Derrick Williams, but Texas has better post depth. Both could give us trouble. Personally, I think I rather play Arizona, but just slightly seeing as we've been able to beat teams with just one post guy. That player will usually kill us, but we can hang on the boards overall because we're better than everyone else. Even with Williams, Arizona isn't a good offensive rebounding team, which should be huge for us.
    zona' not that I know that much about either except we seem to always beat UT but they are very very talented. Arizona I don't think is as talented overll- I will always trust K to take out one great player

i'll say texas

'Zona is ranked below Michigan according to ken pom. Texas has a lot of weapons that can give teams a lot of trouble when they're firing on all cylinders. I think I'd rather play Arizona. Their best win all season was UCLA (well, will be Texas if we end up playing them).

I'll say I don't care as long as it's not a team like Michigan. Honestly I would prefer Texas because with all that talent Rick Barnes is still the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    'Zona is ranked below Michigan according to ken pom. Texas has a lot of weapons that can give teams a lot of trouble when they're firing on all cylinders. I think I'd rather play Arizona. Their best win all season was UCLA (well, will be Texas if we end up playing them).

though zona is closer to anaheim than ut... might have a better home court advatg

I root for us to play against the team with the lower "upside." I fear the opponent playing up to our level more than I fear us playing down to their average level. So I root for the team that may be more consistently good but less often great. I'm rooting for Zona.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I root for us to play against the team with the lower "upside." I fear the opponent playing up to our level more than I fear us playing down to their average level. So I root for the team that may be more consistently good but less often great. I'm rooting for Zona.
    same here, i hitnk zona has less "potential"

Watching the Arizona-Texas game tonight. Neither looks that good really. Neither can hit a shot. I just do not care which one we play.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Watching the Arizona-Texas game tonight. Neither looks that good really. Neither can hit a shot. I just do not care which one we play.
    Really? I'm watching and it looks like both teams are playing pretty well to my eyes...at least, in this second half, it had been back and forth with trading buckets. We're definitely going to have to bring it on Thursday. Both teams are physical and have some good athletes. Their styles couldn't be more different from Michigan, though.

I am rooting for Texas, and unfortunately have to root against them next week if they pull this out, but it's Arizona every day and six ways from Sunday. Texas was legitimately playing the best basketball in the country for stretch in January/February, and y'all can complain about Barnes all you want (I know I do), but he outcoached K two years ago and almost took Duke down as a 10 seed.

J'Covan Brown is fun to watch. He's so slow, but he always gets to where he wants to be. True old man YMCA basketball.

OT

I would like to see them play 1,024 overtimes and have to stay on the court from today until Thursday. But I really don't care who we play...

I have the same impression of Arizona as of Washington: they don't know how to win this game. They've been frittering away opportunities, have no clue as to how to guard a red-hot J'Covan Brown, and just keep fouling him, including the now-ubiquitous big-man step out at the top of the key, which so often results in a foul on the dribbler, in this case, the brilliant FT-shooting Brown.

As with foolish, inattentive UW guards, just now the Arizona dribbler walked, under no particular pressure from the defense. No focus.

Edit: For example, Arizona just had an obvious 2-for-1 with a minute remaining, but frittered, so now, even if they score, Texas gets last ball.

Edit II: No plan for a good shot, no score, Texas in driver's seat.

Edit III: I didn't count on a quick 5-second call from ref, giving Zona its winning chance. But given enough "Edits," I'm sure I can predict whom Duke will play.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 03-20-2011 at 08:27 PM.

No foul on that last play??!?

Well, it's Arizona.

Sympathy to our Texas fans - a great season should not end like that.

WOO HOO!!!!!

Of course, I'm the same person who really wanted to play Michigan instead of Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    WOO HOO!!!!!

Of course, I'm the same person who really wanted to play Michigan instead of Tennessee.
    Same here, initially wanted Michigan and Arizona.

But now looking at it, they are all good teams. And Michigan is a lot better (scary) than I thought, their 3's are daggers.

Well we got Zona.

Miles/Mason are going to have to play like MEN to slow down Williams.

Wow, there have been some ridiculous endings to games this tournament. I have re-watched the 5 second inbounds call that gave 'Zona the ball back twice in slow motion, and the ref only moved his arm with the count 4 times before the TO was called. In my mind, it shouldn't have been a 5 second call and the TO should have been granted, but I guess I'm not the ref. He definitely didn't do the sign with the arm for the fifth time, but I guess the fifth time is simply the whistle. Still, heart break for TX. Arizona will still be tough, but I'd rather play them.