View Poll Results: Which team will win the East bracket?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ohio St.

40 63.49%
  • UNC

3 4.76%
  • Syracuse

17 26.98%
  • Kentucky

2 3.17%
  • West Virginia

0 0%
  • Xavier

0 0%
  • Washington

0 0%
  • George Mason

1 1.59%
  • Villanova

0 0%
  • Clemson

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Discussion thread: East (Newark) bracket

Please put all comments on the East/Newark bracket in this thread. A poll will be posted asking who you think will win the West after the brackets are announced.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

UNC gets the last #2 seed, and ends up in OSU's bracket. Also they get Syracuse as a #3 seed. Also Kentucky as a #4... really tough bracket.

TOUGH region... Wow

The Huskies (if they get by Georgia) could give UNC fits.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

UNC will have an extremely tough matchup against that Syracuse zone (if they matchup) if they can't knock down their shots.

What an awesome bracket. I don't care for UNC/Kentucky or OSU (I live in Columbus) so let them beat up on each other. Go Syracuse! or George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I was thinking that, but that is a lot of travel miles for the huskies. whew! would it wear them down?

I agree on tough. Ohio St could have to play Nova in round 2. They've been fading but are a good team. I've been worried about some of the weaker teams giving the #1's a tough round 2 game.

Mixed news for the 'Holes. They got a gift being a 2 seed, but no gift at all in that bracket. Hope the shots are falling for Syracuse. Their zone against UNC's interior game will be an interesting matchup...and, at first glance, not a great one for UNC.

They did NO favors to unc. And technically they're the worst 2 seed.

Any reason why they have two "first round games" in this region?

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I agree. UW has good size with Mathew Bryan-Amaning and Aziz N'Diaye and speed with Isiah Thomas and Venoy Overton. C.J. Wilcox and Terrence Ross are great shooters. The Huskies match-up with the Tar Heels nicely.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    I agree on tough. Ohio St could have to play Nova in round 2. They've been fading but are a good team. I've been worried about some of the weaker teams giving the #1's a tough round 2 game.
    Nova? Try George Mason. Much better team. Mason is ranked #25 by Pomeroy while Nova is a #28, and that's overall, not taking into account that the Nova of the last 5 games has not been the Nova before that.

But yeah, the Cuse zone and UNC could be deadly.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    But yeah, the Cuse zone and UNC could be deadly.
    I realize I am repeating myself here but I do not see Carolina beating UW.
    Bob Green

A poll has been added to this thread. Vote early and often

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Generally, a tough region, but not so bad for Ohio State. Their main obstacle is the strong likelihood of playing a fellow public university with a large fanbase from a neighboring state: either Kentucky or West Virginia.

I'm not a person who cares all that much about bubble talk -- I disagree with a few choices, but it's hard for me to be outraged when one sort-of-okay team makes it over another sort-of-okay team. So my main problem with the Selection Committee is the blatant disregard of accepted convention by not spreading out the Big East teams. 11-seed Marquette could play 3-seed Syracuse in the Round of 32 in this region, while the West has slated 6-seed Cincinnati and 3-seed Connecticut.

I understand that squeezing 11 Big East teams into a 68-team field presents a challenge, but this was an easy fix. Swap Marquette and 10-seed Georgia (no one thought Georgia should have been a 10-seed anyway), and swap Cincinnati and 7-seed Temple. Done. No Big East team faces another, at least until the Round of 16.

The Committee was embarrassingly lazy here. Someone needs to thaw out Billy Packer so that he can punish them effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I realize I am repeating myself here but I do not see Carolina beating UW.
    Thank you! UW is one of those teams designed to wreak havoc on the chalk. Before the field was set I had pretty much penciled them into the Sweet 16. The only thing making me hesitate now is the fact that their games would be in Charlotte.

Of course, watch the Huskies lose to UGA.

This is a really interest region. UW and Cuse are both teams that could wreak havoc on Carolina, but I think with a week to prep for the Cuse zone, that's less of a concern than UW is. In terms of a UNC/OSU Elite 8 matchup, I think it's a tossup. That's actually a better matchup for UNC than you would think - Henson or Zeller on Sullinger, Barnes on the wing is hard for OSU, Henson is a hard match for OSU, and Marshall is far better than OSU's point (I forget who it is). Obviously, OSU can hit the 3, but I don't think UNC has to double Sullinger (Henson or Zeller can easily take him on their own, I think), and so it's a hard matchup for OSU because they're not seeing constant double-teams.

I'm honestly having a hard time not sending Carolina to the Final Four in my bracket... sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    I'm honestly having a hard time not sending Carolina to the Final Four in my bracket... sadly.
    Carolina has played poorly (save for Duke at the Dean Dome) the past few weeks. They beat Clemson FSU and BC each by just 2 points, started all three ACCT games very poorly and got waxed by Duke. The blueprint has to be well known now - hound Kendall Marshall and keep the pace a little slow. I could see them losing to Washington or Syracuse. I do not see them beating Ohio State. If they make the FF, somone will have done the dirty work for them via upsets.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Carolina has played poorly (save for Duke at the Dean Dome) the past few weeks. They beat Clemson FSU and BC each by just 2 points, started all three ACCT games very poorly and got waxed by Duke. The blueprint has to be well known now - hound Kendall Marshall and keep the pace a little slow. I could see them losing to Washington or Syracuse. I do not see them beating Ohio State. If they make the FF, somone will have done the dirty work for them via upsets.
    And I think that Isiah Thomas is the kind of guard who will give UNC fits. Plus I think the Syracuse zone will be a problem for UNC, even with most of a week to prepare. I just don't think they have the personnel to attack a zone.

If anyone bought tix to Verizon and wants to get rid of them, let me know.
    Also posted on exchange but that room seems to have an empty feel.