View Poll Results: Who will win the Southeast bracket?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pitt

18 38.30%
  • Florida

7 14.89%
  • BYU

3 6.38%
  • Wisconsin

5 10.64%
  • Kansas St.

9 19.15%
  • St. John's

2 4.26%
  • UCLA

0 0%
  • Butler

1 2.13%
  • Old Dominion

0 0%
  • Other

2 4.26%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Discussion thread: Southeast (New Orleans) bracket

Please put all comments on the SEast/New Orleans bracket in this thread. A poll will be posted asking who you think will win the West after the brackets are announced.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I think Pitt got the easiest bracket by far. If they can't make a final four run this year, they may never get there.

Who did the Big 10 pay off? Michigan State as a 10 seed? Michigan an 8? Penn State a 10?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

florida as a 2? really?

Florida is certainly not a 2 and the 3, BYU is missing their 2nd best player. Pitt should win this corner of the bracket hands down.

Other than Wisc and Kansas St. (who would have to play one another before getting to Pitt) and MAYBE St. John's, this looks like a cakewalk to Houston for Pitt. I'd be surprised if they didn't make it to at least the Elite 8.

Maybe Butler can get back to the FF. jk

I have added a poll to this thread. It asks who will win, but maybe it should ask how was such an absurdly bad bracket put together. I would have gladly been a #2 in this bracket. Heck, I would have gladly been the #4 in this bracket.

--Jason "K St and Wisconsin are the best teams in this bracket, IMO" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have added a poll to this thread. It asks who will win, but maybe it should ask how was such an absurdly bad bracket put together. I would have gladly been a #2 in this bracket. Heck, I would have gladly been the #4 in this bracket.

Not sure how Pitt, the weakest of the #1s, got this bracket. Florida should be switched with Purdue or Texas.

Agree with everyone. This is, hands down, the easiest bracket. You have a combination of high seeds that are head scratchers (Florida as a #2 . . . after LOOSING their conference title game to a #4 seed, UK) with high seeds missing key players (BYU, and I fully admit that Duke benefited from that with Purdue as our #4 last year). That basically leaves Wisconsin as the only top four seed that appears to me to be a real threat, assuming Pitt plays up to their potential. I think that if Pitt fails to play well in the tourney again and falls early, the bracket opens up considerably. Virtually any team seeded 1-12 could lose their first game (well, besides Pitt) or make it to the Elite Eight.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Really? I'm not sold on either winning their first game. Seeding Utah State 12th is absurd; I'll take their consistency over KSU's volatility any day. And I think Wisconsin should get past Belmont, unless the final score is something like 23-19.

I think this is Pittsburgh's year to make the Final Four, but I'll admit: this does look a little like the Kansas region last year, where the 5 and 6 seeds ended up in the Elite 8. Ripe for upsets. Time to root for, say, ODU and Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I still have nightmares of Belmont, if you want a more recent (if not quite so extreme 2/15) one!

-jk
    By the way, keep your eye on Belmont. They had an outstanding season, finishing 30-4, and are ranked #18 in the country overall by kenpom. If you have any faith at all in the kenpom rankings (and I think they are excellent), you'd have to say Belmont got really screwed with a #13 seed.

Also, they have a player Scott Saunders (2nd team all-conference, and a productive inside player) who is the son of former Duke player Larry Saunders (1971 captain).

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    By the way, keep your eye on Belmont. They had an outstanding season, finishing 30-4, and are ranked #18 in the country overall by kenpom. If you have any faith at all in the kenpom rankings (and I think they are excellent), you'd have to say Belmont got really screwed with a #13 seed.

Also, they have a player Scott Saunders (2nd team all-conference, and a productive inside player) who is the son of former Duke player Larry Saunders (1971 captain).
    Totally agreed on Belmont's overall profile. Plus, they drew a first-round matchup with Wisconsin, who has displayed a recent penchant for underperforming in the NCAAs (or really, one could argue, anywhere away from the Kohl Center).
    I will almost certainly select Belmont for that first-round upset.

Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Belmont really did get mistreated. See my post in the Dork NCAA Discussion thread:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...852#post486852

I suspect that several folks will pick Belmont to upset Wisconsin including our DBR guys. Actually, I second a thought I saw somewhere that the Badgers will likely either lose their first round game or they will go to the Elite Eight.

I thought that the comment by DBR that "Wisconsin will want to run a slower, disciplined game suitable to the big stiffs they raise in the Midwest" to be inappropriate. Leuer is an oustanding frontcourt player (18.6 ppg and 7.3 rpg) and possible first round draft choice while Nankivil averages 10 ppg. Both Leuer and Nankivil are outstanding shooters and their scoring averages are even better than they appear because Wisconsin does not play an up tempo game. Neither is a "stiff".

Actually, the Badgers have an outstanding coach, terrific point guard, good frontcourt, OK bench and their pace of play normally keeps them in games even when they are playing poorly. The key for them, IMO, is the play of Taylor, their point guard. Based on a small viewing sample, they struggle when he has an off game. Don't get in a foul shooting contest wit Wisconsin because they shoot 82% as a team.

gw67

Florida

I cant believe I'm picking Florida to win this bracket. I just didnt think highly of the Big East or Pitt and there's the fact that no team losing in the 1st round of the conference tourney (although Pitt lost in 3rd round) has gone on to the Final Four.

I really dont believe in any of the teams in this bracket and am fairly certain someone is going to back in the Final Four. This could be the region that turns into a free-for-all.

My upsets are Utah State to the Sweet 16, Gonzaga to the Sweet 16 and ODU, Michigan State in the first round.

NO DOGS ALLOWED

Butler may have a chip on their shoulder...j/k my girlfriend and I met Blue II at the Final Four last year and he was very friendly and nice. (I would not let her pet him before the Championship game though...bad mojo).

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Who did the Big 10 pay off? Michigan State as a 10 seed? Michigan an 8? Penn State a 10?
    IIRC the Chairman of the Selection Committee was the Ohio State Athletic Director or some such. Yep, the same Committee that seeded OSU #1 overall (no problem with that), selected seven (7!) Big-10 teams, four of which had 13 or more losses, yet none of which were seeded below #10. The same committee that selected just 4 from the ACC - leaving off BC (21-12) and VPI (21-11) - and assigning Clemson (22-11) to a play-in game.

You can probably guess my sentiments...

This is one year I sure hope all the (selected) ACC schools have a very good showing! And I want to see one of the slighted ACC bubble teams win the NIT too.

P.S. As a point of reference, while 10-seeds MSU and PSU each had 14 losses, the other two (non-Big 10) schools - both from other BCS conferences - that were seeded #10 had just 10 (FSU) and 11 (GA) losses. And 8-seeded Michigan had 13 losses, while none of the other 8-seeds had more than 9. Grrrrrr.

Get on the Gonzaga train!

Wash Post - Fredette

What is left of the Washington Post continues to have terrific coverage of the NCAAT. Among other articles this morning was one written by Prisbell on Fredette (see link). BYU was weak on the frontline before losing Davies but now they are left to chucking up a bunch of threes. I expect them to get past Wofford but have a tough time in the weekend game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...EDh_story.html

gw67