Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Jeff Allen: ACC punk of the year

Any real competition?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Any real competition?
    Maybe his coach, since it seems like VT does this every year. I know I should be rooting for as many teams from the ACC as possible, but I can't help but want to root against them ever year.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    Maybe his coach, since it seems like VT does this every year. I know I should be rooting for as many teams from the ACC as possible, but I can't help but want to root against them ever year.
    I don't like him either. It's either Florida State or Virginia Tech that presents the greatest yearly hazard to our players; they get chippy when the going gets tight and I always fear for our safety. I'm glad this ones over and we advance to (play) the hated holes tomorrow.

dth.

The entire Unc team is more punkly than Allen. Every last one of them. I nominate Barnes' smirk as edging Allen's elbow for punkest body part.

I dislike Barnes because he plays for them. I am honestly contemptuous of Jeff Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Any real competition?
    Shumpert for his actions against Tyler Thornton might get some votes but Allen wins out in the end.

GA Tech has played Duke really chippy under Hewitt. Perhaps that will change with a new coach, since that strategy didn't seem to be working lately.
    Don't know who I would call this year's punk, though...

What I would LOVE to see ...

... in the post-game press conference, set up a flat screen TV.

Show the montage of every Jeff Allen elbow, every Jeff Allen head shake of "no" and every Jeff Allen mouthing of the word "bull" at being called for every foul ...

... SHOW IT ... then ask Seth Greenburg: "what do you as the head coach have to say about all this?" ... about time for some accountability and true calling out in this world.

Hey, Jeff: SCOREBOARD

And, by the way, great game today on your part. You were so busy woofing and being a tough guy that you forgot to play basketball.

VT

It is always something with VT. Wasn't it Paulus that got kicked in the face while on the floor? Next to UNC they are my least favorite ACC team. OK don't shoot me for this but I don't really dislike Maryland. The idiot fans yes but the team and Gary no.

There are words which accurately describe my disdain for Virginia Tech and their over-the-top physical play. There is no excuse for the premier basketball conference to have to put up with Greenburg and his Band of Bullies. The ACC needs to take action against the (C)Hokies. Allen and Delaney are an embarrassment to the league.

League expansion -- Yuck! -- Epic failure.
    Bob Green

Allen likes to play with his elbows high, and he deserves every intentional foul (or whatever it is that they're calling it) he gets for them.
    The make-up call against Dawkins was utter horse snot as the defender was within Dawkins' vertical space and Andre had both hands on the ball as he was going for a shot. It shoulda been a foul on the VT player +1 cuz the shot went in.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    It is always something with VT. Wasn't it Paulus that got kicked in the face while on the floor? Next to UNC they are my least favorite ACC team. OK don't shoot me for this but I don't really dislike Maryland. The idiot fans yes but the team and Gary no.
    Actually, that was Lee Melchionni. Deron Washington was significantly worse than Jeff Allan, IMO. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DrgNEZ8VR8

Greg Paulus got hit by Chris Paul in a sensitive area, IIRC.

Their style of play in basketball reminds me the way they try to manhandle/intimidate us in football. It was nice to see our guys not put up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    Their style of play in basketball reminds me the way they try to manhandle/intimidate us in football. It was nice to see our guys not put up with it.
    I found it quite funny that Ryan Kelly literally got chop blocked while trying to guard an inbounds play in the first half. Even funnier they called the foul on Kelly, but that's a story for another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    There are words which accurately describe my disdain for Virginia Tech and their over-the-top physical play. There is no excuse for the premier basketball conference to have to put up with Greenburg and his Band of Bullies. The ACC needs to take action against the (C)Hokies. Allen and Delaney are an embarrassment to the league.

League expansion -- Yuck! -- Epic failure.
    I could not agree more... I posted this in the Post game thread..

Aside from our traditional rival, I dislike VT the 2nd most in the conference. These Nouveau Riche wannabes would not BE in the conference if not for the power play the Virginia State Legislature applied. These guys think they are the new Maryland.. take that and the horse you rode in on Uncle Fester..

Dre was fouled on THAT drive. He had his hand on the ball taking a shot, not a wild swing. Allen MADE it the issue.. he prolly could have gotten away with BOTH of those elbows like he always dose, IF he had show some restraint and not beaned Dre in the Face.

If WE had to expand I would have done it to focus on Core Competencies (Basketball) and not try to buy market-share and artificially prop up football. I would have looked to Louisville, Uconn, G'Town, KY and Syracuse. If there is East cost ball its ACC or bust. To heck with an out of conference schedule add quality teams and return to the round robin.

Talking K Got Even

K had Duke playing tough physical game today, and it really got into Delaney's and Allen's heads. Delaney was complaining all game long, and Allen got two technical/personals for obvious elbows. Classic case of "you can dish it out, but can you take it?" K didn't call off the dogs until the last 1:30.

I don't think K likes Seth very much.

Sagegrouse
    'BTW if State and Ga. Tech upgrade, is Seth then the worst coach in the ACC?'

dukestheheat

It's either Florida State or Virginia Tech that presents the greatest yearly hazard to our players; they get chippy when the going gets tight and I always fear for our safety.
    When Al Skinner was coaching alongside the River Charles, and Sean Marshall and Jared Dudley were still in town, Boston College made today's Florida State and Virginia Tech look like the the cast of Ladybugs. I have never hated a player more than I did Sean Marshall. The definition of a criminal. I have, in recent years, hated Paul Davis, Josh Boone (I wanted Boone X'd out), Joe Alexander, Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Green, Deron Washington, Chas McFarland, Derwin Kitchen, Harrison Barnes, John Henson and Jeff Allen, among many others, just as much, but none more than Sean Marshall.

With Marshall, forget "getting chippy." If you scored on him, you had to make sure he wasn't going to pull out a shiv. I will never forget Redick's three-on-one fast-break triple at Chestnut Hill in 2006, which was followed by the stare-down of Sean Marshall after Marshall attempted to slow him up at half-court with a punk chest bump. Sweet memories.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    I could not agree more... I posted this in the Post game thread..

Aside from our traditional rival, I dislike VT the 2nd most in the conference. These Nouveau Riche wannabes would not BE in the conference if not for the power play the Virginia State Legislature applied. These guys think they are the new Maryland.. take that and the horse you rode in on Uncle Fester..

If WE had to expand I would have done it to focus on Core Competencies (Basketball) and not try to buy market-share and artificially prop up football. I would have looked to Louisville, Uconn, G'Town, KY and Syracuse. If there is East cost ball its ACC or bust. To heck with an out of conference schedule add quality teams and return to the round robin.
    Agree completely - I was going to post my own thoughts on this but you hit all my points

Duke and UNC fought expansion at the time - watching VA Tech today once again confirms how awful it is to have that school in the ACC

The ACC sold its soul when it expanded to become a football conference and did not even get the benefit of becoming a better football conference

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    When Al Skinner was coaching alongside the River Charles, and Sean Marshall and Jared Dudley were still in town, Boston College made today's Florida State and Virginia Tech look like the the cast of Ladybugs. I have never hated a player more than I did Sean Marshall. The definition of a criminal. I have, in recent years, hated Paul Davis, Josh Boone (I wanted Boone X'd out), Joe Alexander, Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Green, Deron Washington, Chas McFarland, Derwin Kitchen, Harrison Barnes, John Henson and Jeff Allen, among many others, just as much, but none more than Sean Marshall.

With Marshall, forget "getting chippy." If you scored on him, you had to make sure he wasn't going to pull out a shiv. I will never forget Redick's three-on-one fast-break triple at Chestnut Hill in 2006, which was followed by the stare-down of Sean Marshall after Marshall attempted to slow him up at half-court with a punk chest bump. Sweet memories.
    I don't even think Sean Marshall's parents liked Sean Marshall.