Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Well, at least they're tiring out the heels a little more.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Stop Kendall Marshall, dUNCe becomes a very mediocre basketball team.

unc never deserves to win a game. Ever. Nothing will ever change this. But Clemson definitely didn't deserve to win after just self-destructing like Miami did yesterday. How do you NOT call a TO in the last 30 seconds of regulation in a tied game when you have the ball and THREE time outs to set up a play?!?!?!? To me that's a must to give the direct instruction to your kids about what you want them to do. Truly what the expression "epic fail" was created to represent.......

Quote Originally Posted by karmacoma View Post
    First Miami, now Clemson. Both had Carolina dead to rights, both just utterly failed to seal the deal. Why have these two teams just absolutely, comletely wilted down the stretch? And why does it feel like you can predict it happening, once the momentum turns? I'm actually asking these questions seriously, even though I realize it's kinda silly. Is it psychological -- the undergod starts getting tight as it starts thinking, "holy cow, we actually have a chance to win this thing! Better not screw up!" Poor execution? Poor coaching? In the case of Clemson, an inability to overcome their historical futility against Carolina? Thoughts?
    IMO, many players simply do not understand how to play the game, in the many details that make the difference between winning and losing, esp in tight situations. UNC and its end-game "tradition" is built on an understanding of relatively high % offense, and game-tested defensive pressure. They always have players who are very capable of executing.

Clemson today and Miami yesterday were - metaphorically and close to literally - clueless. It doesn't mean it was impossible for either the Canes or Tigers to win, just very unlikely.

I fully admit it's easy to assert this now, as opposed to, say, as UNC was closing the gap on the Canes yesterday.

Wow - Barnes scored 40 pts. Where would the heels be without him?

Carolina has been very good offensively during these two comebacks. Defensively, however, they've been helped out by spectacular collapses by the opposition. Add in UVA's collapse against Miami, and this has been an exciting tournament, but not one that does much to impress anyone who has been skeptical of the ACC. A lot of teams have been downright awful when they could have escaped with a win had they been merely bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post

I'm still not convinced UNC is as good as much as it is that the teams they are playing are bad.
    agree. they have just barely beaten a couple of teams that are not going to make the field of however many it is now, and for very good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    I am glad HB went to UNC
    So am I. I like the Duke team we have. The only thing I would add to our current team is a healthy Kyrie Iring.

Luckily for UNC, they come out strong against Duke. Its Duke that hasn't started well in the two prior games.

I am glad HB went to UNC
    I can't count the number of times I have said this to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Clemson got hosed on shot clock violation play. Henson had control of the ball before the clock ran out. The tie-up was legitimate. And the play was reviewable.
    Very true. That play and the stuuuppid offensive set on the last Clemson possession of regulation (Why not run the high screen that got Stitt in the lane all day!!!) just killed Clemson.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    IMO, many players simply do not understand how to play the game, in the many details that make the difference between winning and losing, esp in tight situations. UNC and its end-game "tradition" is built on an understanding of relatively high % offense, and game-tested defensive pressure. They always have players who are very capable of executing.

Clemson today and Miami yesterday were - metaphorically and close to literally - clueless. It doesn't mean it was impossible for either the Canes or Tigers to win, just very unlikely.

I fully admit it's easy to assert this now, as opposed to, say, as UNC was closing the gap on the Canes yesterday.
    Interesting thoughts, thanks for the response. And thanks for not pointing out my typos, including the most excellent "undergod." Like a demi-god, but different.

Luckily for UNC, they come out strong against Duke. Its Duke that hasn't started well in the two prior games.
    n=2. I guess you can put it in the bank then.

Wow, Carolina's luck has to be running out soon, right? RIGHT?

I am glad HB went to UNC
    As glad as you are to have him, I will am equally glad that he has played his way back into the 2011 draft. I eagerly look forward to his declaration to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post

After watching the latest Clempsun meltdown - they should disband the b-ball program. Never been any good and never will.

1. I'm also glad Barnes went to unc. His self absorbtion would've never fit it at Duke.

2. When Clemson got hosed on the held ball call, I knew they were done. You can beat 5 players but it's extremely difficult to beat 8.

3. In answer to "Is this scripted?" Yes, I believe it is. (Alright, maybe I'm a bit over the top with my antihole attitude.)

4. True story: Yesterday, I watched a one year old stick her hand in the back of her diaper, pull it out and wipe "what she had found" on the carolina shirt she was wearing. It was the most enjoyable experience I've ever had at work.

GTHC

The scoring for last years team came from the front court. If you fail to see that, there is no helping you. You can claim the stat all you want, but for it to be valid, you have to actually have all the facts.
    The stats are a fact. And, it's a fact that Zeller and Henson, while effective, are finesse players. Barnes is primarily a jump shooter, Strickland is effective in the open court but doesn't pressure a defense in the half court, and Marshall is a great passer but not very quick.

Al Featherston had a great multi-year statistical study on fouls. Not surprisingly, the teams that won the most typically had the best differential. Guess who outperformed the statistical prediction? Yes, UNC.

At 5-11 leading the conference in FT differential? That loses credibility.

People also like to ignore the fact that Duke has had the best collection of penetrators to attack defenses in the ACC over the last 20 years. And, yet, we haven't led the conference in FT differential once in the last decade. State school preference.
    Last edited by Duke79UNLV77; 03-12-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BattierBattalion View Post
    Wow, Carolina's luck has to be running out soon, right? RIGHT?
    One game maybe two games is luck. When it gets to 5 games, 6 games, etc. there is more to it than luck.
    UNC has matured as a team and are not to be taken as lightly as counting their wins as luck.
    Know your opponent and their capabilities and face them heads up.
    I am SURE that is what Coach K. is going to do after we beat Va. Tech and meet the Heels tomorrow.

This UNC team stands no chance in a 6 game tournament against top-25 teams.