Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    First, I never mentioned Andre, he was respectable 2-5. But do you realize Duke was 3 of 15? Kyle is about 16 for 100 in the last 16 or so games. Nolan was not very good either in the UNC game and last night he was 0-4.

Next, make an extra pass? Every shot Kyle took from 3 last night he was wide open. I'm not sure looking for someone to pass to is the option, more of take it to the basket. The guy had 29 points and none from 3 land, that tells me his game is going to the hole and not shoting the 3's.

Seth had a nice night, 11 points. But he was 3-11, 0-1 from 3 land.

These guys need to take it to the basket and get the easy shots or foul shots. Duke doesn't need the 3 if they take it to the basket and play good defense. They need to play with a lot of intensity like they did last night when Nolan went down.

Live by the 3 die by the 3, we have seen Duke go through that before and ask ND, they died by the 3 last night against 'ville.
    Well, I understand what you're saying, but it's obvious the coaching staff doesn't agree with you. Duke will continue taking open threes when we get them, and that includes Kyle. Personally, I think that's a good thing, but whether you agree or not, we're all going to have to just live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    What do we think is an effective number of 3 point shots? We shot 15 last night. I really liked the way we attacked the hoop against MD and worked for higher quality shots. After watching last night I would prefer that trend and don't think I'd want more than 15. Thoughts? I totally appreciate there is some game to game variability here.

Any feel for what we averaged last year - especially towards the end of the season? Last night's shot selection reminded me of last year's run.
    We averaged 19.55 three point attempts per game last year (32.9% of our shots). I'm too lazy to break it down further than that. We average 20.38 three point attempts per game this year (34.9% of our shots)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    First, you're jumping way ahead. Let's think about VT (hasn't been VPI for a long, long time) and win the game today.
    Actually their official name is Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, hence the VPI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech

Here is what I'm talking about...

Kyle
    All 32 games 15-174 or 32.8%
    Last 16 games 17-75 or 22.7%
    Last 7 games 2-23 or 8.7%
    Last 2 games 0-9 or 0.0%

Team
    All 32 games 258-687 or 37.6%
    Last 16 games 108-327 or 33.0%
    Last 7 games 39-128 or 30.5%
    Last 2 games 9-42 or 21.4%

When Duke plays a UNC 30% isn't bad unless you take 20+ 3's becasue that is 6 of 20.

Losses to VT and UNC Duke was 10 of 47.

This is highlighted by the fact that Duke does not do a good job with offense rebounding, about middle of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
    Actually their official name is Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, hence the VPI

And hence the Va Tech. Look, if I were in a bar, and told the guy next to me that I went to VPI&SU, he would probably make some pun on the initials, and move down to the other end of the bar! Who could blame him?

Watch the press conference from last night (www.the.acc.com and follow links). Kyle GUARANTEED that his shot is going to start falling. So I don't expect the team to go away from a style K has used for years. He wants his shooters to keep taking shots.

LGD!!!!!!

First, I never mentioned Andre, he was respectable 2-5. But do you realize Duke was 3 of 15? Kyle is about 16 for 100 in the last 16 or so games. Nolan was not very good either in the UNC game and last night he was 0-4.

Next, make an extra pass? Every shot Kyle took from 3 last night he was wide open. I'm not sure looking for someone to pass to is the option, more of take it to the basket. The guy had 29 points and none from 3 land, that tells me his game is going to the hole and not shoting the 3's.

Seth had a nice night, 11 points. But he was 3-11, 0-1 from 3 land.

These guys need to take it to the basket and get the easy shots or foul shots. Duke doesn't need the 3 if they take it to the basket and play good defense. They need to play with a lot of intensity like they did last night when Nolan went down.

Live by the 3 die by the 3, we have seen Duke go through that before and ask ND, they died by the 3 last night against 'ville.
    ND, who has won 12 of 14 and lost in OT to #14 ranked Louisville will likely not change their extremely efficient offense (Pomeroy rates them 3rd in the country) because they may have missed some shots against a good team.

Yes, if a team misses a whole bunch of threes, they may lose, but overall the 3-point shot is a very efficient way to score points and most (if not all) of the top offenses, use it. I strongly disagree that Duke doesn't need the 3. Duke's strength is its perimeter and that includes some great 3-point shooters, though some have struggled lately. I don't think Duke is going to win all of its games by ignoring its very good 3-point shooters. I can agree that the team does need a balance of interior and exterior passing and scoring to play its best.

I was also very impressed with Seth last night and thought he did an outstanding job taking more control of the offense once Nolan went out.
    Here is what I'm talking about...

Kyle
    All 32 games 15-174 or 32.8%
    Last 16 games 17-75 or 22.7%
    Last 7 games 2-23 or 8.7%
    Last 2 games 0-9 or 0.0%

Team
    All 32 games 258-687 or 37.6%
    Last 16 games 108-327 or 33.0%
    Last 7 games 39-128 or 30.5%
    Last 2 games 9-42 or 21.4%

When Duke plays a UNC 30% isn't bad unless you take 20+ 3's becasue that is 6 of 20.

Losses to VT and UNC Duke was 10 of 47.

This is highlighted by the fact that Duke does not do a good job with offense rebounding, about middle of the pack.
    So, what you are talking about is that Kyle hasn't shot well from 3-point land lately and Duke doesn't shoot well when it loses? I agree completely.
    Just as a reminder, 33% 3 point shooting corresponds to 50% effective field goal % and 30% corresponds to 45%.
    I hope Duke continues to use its very good perimeter players to get good shots and that the team continues to use the 3-point shot as an effective weapon even if the team hasn't shot as well recently as they have at other times.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

The center of the basketball universe (aka: North Carolina)

Three Things

1. We shouldn't just assume this is a win. VT has proven how pesky they can be if given the proper motivation.

2. I hope Nolan Smith is not only better but comes back ready ready to rain on VT. I also hope he doesn't do anything during this game to aggravate his toe and make it worse.

3. How will Seth handle this game? He looked fantastic after Nolan left during the MD game but can he keep that up, especially against this team? He's gotta be looking for some redemption after the visit to VT.

An afterthought: Is there anywhere I can stream the game online? I will be at my sister's house and she doesn't even own a tv...crazy hippie...

www.theacc.com/live works great

But they call themselves Virginia Tech. In my world they can brand themselves and I respect that (except unc).

Anyways...

Some of the discussion under this topic is brutal and pointless. Focus on Va Tech and the game...

With Nolan being questionable, I think Delaney will have an opportunity to have a nice scoring game. That being said the key to this game in my opinion is to stop the "other" guys for Va Tech. Allen is tough and he always plays well against us, but we cannot allow the likes of Green and Davilla to have good games. Offensive rebounds, poor transitions D in Blacksburg allowed them to get easy buckets

I think the fact that Va Tech played a physical game, late into the night and played only 6 players could cause them to get tired legs in the final 10 minutes, which is perfectly fine by me I know that Kyle played all 40 last night, but he has been doing that for years in the tourneys, he has that experience, Va Tech not so much

My bad, but...

If you go on the Internet and search for VPI, the first thing that comes up is VPI Pet Insurance!:\ If you search for VT, you come up with Virginia Tech.

I have collaborated with faculty from Virginia Tech for years, and we used to use the abbreviation "VPI" all the time. However, about 8 years ago, we received a fiat from their president's office telling us never to darken their door with VPI again. On their website everything is VT. That's all.

What a great way to waste time until 3 pm!
    DukeDevilDeb

Not Broken

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueHeart4 View Post
    I hope Nolan Smith is not only better but comes back ready ready to rain on VT. I also hope he doesn't do anything during this game to aggravate his toe and make it worse.
    Mike Gminski just announced in the Clemson-UNC game that xrays of Nolan's toe were negative - i.e. not broken. That's good news.

The center of the basketball universe (aka: North Carolina)
    Quote Originally Posted by HorvathsGhost View Post
    Thanks!

live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame...Schedule=10177

No doubt Dre will get minutes today but Tyler is probably going to get 20+. If Nolan isnt full strength he should probably sit today

Nevermind Nolan is starting

Zone?

I think starting both Plumlees might be the nice little tinkering that gives Duke a little extra momentum going into the tournament. Having 2 legit post threats might open up the perimeter a bit more.
    And then Kelly can come off the bench at full speed and catch some open looks.

Good New: Nolan's toe doesn't look like an issue

Bad News: His offense is about the same as it was before he got hurt yesterday.