Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke v. Virginia Tech (ACCT) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Let's go Devils!
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Does VT employ a press? It may be even tougher to generate offense tomorrow. I'm guessing we put Singler on Delaney again.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Seth will get 35 minutes at the point, but I think we'll see some of Kyle bringing the ball up.

Seth can handle this role. Andre should be juiced for this game. He knows that he'll be key in this game. Fully expect him to step to the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    Seth will get 35 minutes at the point, but I think we'll see some of Kyle bringing the ball up.

Seth can handle this role. Andre should be juiced for this game. He knows that he'll be key in this game. Fully expect him to step to the plate.
    i would love to see that....if we have curry,singler, 2 plumlees and dawkins on the court, we can beat them....if dawkins heats up really hot, we will blow them out and run them to death...

I know we're all concerned about Nolan, and for good reason, but I'm very confident tomorrow with or without him.

In addition to the benefit of playing a team facing their 3rd game in 3 days, VT played 6 guys tonight. Not 6 in double figure minutes. Just 6. They had 3 guys end the game with 4 fouls. They have nothing left in the tank.

This ain't Blacksburg on Gameday. We're winning by 10+.

PS I love Seth's opportunity for redemption tomorrow.

Well, it's a good thing we have backcourt depth. If Nolan doesn't play, I assume the starting lineup will be MP1, MP2, Kyle, Seth, and Andre. A lot of offensive firepower but (with all due respect to Seth's fine showing tonight from the PG spot) nobody running the show to get the ball to our offensive threats. Presumably Ryan is first off the bench, followed by Tyler, and we run a 7 man rotation to VPI's 6 man rotation.

If Tyler is in the game along with the MPs, Kyle, and either Seth or Andre, our offense would be somewhat lacking. So for the first time this year I'll say I expect to go small a lot, at least when Tyler is in the game. When the backcourt is Seth and Andre, as it will be for most of the game (if Nolan is out), I think we'll go big.

Hopefully Nolan will be OK and this post will be moot.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    I know we're all concerned about Nolan, and for good reason, but I'm very confident tomorrow with or without him.

In addition to the benefit of playing a team facing their 3rd game in 3 days, VT played 6 guys tonight. Not 6 in double figure minutes. Just 6. They had 3 guys end the game with 4 fouls. They have nothing left in the tank.

I also feel good about our next game. We can play better than the Maryland game. We need to tighten up on defense. We need much better passing. We can crash the boards even better. I just hope we can stay away from foul trouble. We gave away a lot of missed free throws to Maryland. Despite VPI's 6 guys, they will still be amped.Don't bail out missed shots by fouling.Keep Tech off the foul line. It stops the clock and gives their 6 guys rest.We want payback, but we can get it by playing our game.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Does VT employ a press? It may be even tougher to generate offense tomorrow. I'm guessing we put Singler on Delaney again.
    I'd be shocked if they do. 3rd game in 3 days for a very thin VPI team? They'll need to save their energy.

Well, playing 3 games in 3 nights is not an issue these days. UConn has played 4 games in 4 nights and is going for thier 5th game in 5 nights.

The key for Duke, NO MORE 3's. Kyle was 0-4. He took two in a row and was wide open on both. Nolan was off too. Not a time for him to go cold from the outside plus his injury is a concern. They might be able to get past VT without him but no way they get past UNC without him.

The good from last nights game might be that Mason and Miles are rising to the top. We will see how they play tonight. And Duke got some real nice play from others like Kelly and Seth with Andre sprinkled in. Duke needs that the rest of thw way.

Biggest key, Seth needs to get better on defense. If he can't stop Marshall, Tyler will have to play a lot and that takes away a scorer.

I am sure Nolan will recover quickly and -- before next weekend -- completely. With or without him, however, I am confident we will play hard and win. Our team has something to prove, and -- on or off the court --Nolan is a big part of that. Be prepared for the most extensive display ever of Greenburg histrionics, grimaces, and pickle-faces.

I'm glad we are getting the chance to play Va Tech again. We were in the drivers seat to win against them two weeks ago and blew it. That's going to add even more reason for the guys to be pumped about this one and to take care of business.

As for Nolan, I feel confident we win even if he doesn't play. As I said before last night's game, if we could get production from Mason, Ryan, and Andre, it's less pressure on him and Singler to carry us this weekend. Nolan had an off night and we still were in control thanks to the other guys stepping up. Their production also allowed Kyle to get in his own groove. And that gives us momentum going in to today. If it had been just Nolan, Kyle, and Seth carrying us, I would be nervous. But after seeing these guys along with Miles play very well, I think we are in a good position. As much as I hate to see injuries, they can help a team grow. If everyone contributes their share and plays their best defense, we are deep enough in the back court to still win this tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    The key for Duke, NO MORE 3's.
    Andre Dawkins was 2-5 on 3s with one of his misses halfway down before it popped out of the basket. Forty percent success which could have been 60% is pretty darn good so I can't agree with "no more 3s" but I do agree we need to make the extra pass for a better shot rather than attempt an early 3-pointer. We did a great job last night moving the ball around. Our offense looked good.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Andre Dawkins was 2-5 on 3s with one of his misses halfway down before it popped out of the basket. Forty percent success which could have been 60% is pretty darn good so I can't agree with "no more 3s" but I do agree we need to make the extra pass for a better shot rather than attempt an early 3-pointer. We did a great job last night moving the ball around. Our offense looked good.
    i absolutely agree...i would start dawkins and leave him in there and let him get into the flow of the game....dawkins is the best 3 point shooter on the team when he is on....

If you're going to be in Greensboro, be loud. The Duke fans were quieter than the Maryland fans, and with Carolina fans likely to be sitting, waiting for VT to take a lead and cheer against us, the crowd noise will be especially important.

As for the actual game, I worry if Nolan is out. While we have the ability to get them in foul trouble and tire them out with a fast pace, we have to be able to shut down Delaney and absolutely need to shut down Allen/Green better than we did 2 weeks ago. If we get any of those 3 into foul trouble, things get a tiny bit easier since Greenberg has majorly shortened his rotation in this tournament. This isn't an unfavorable matchup for us on paper, but the question here is motivation and mindset. As with 2 weeks ago, Seth and the Hokies are sure that yesterday's win got them into the tournament. Does that mean that they don't play hard and they let this off the hook? Likewise, without Nolan (which I would say is fairly likely... I doubt that Coach K will let him play much, if at all, today if he's not near-100%) can we get into the right mindset? He's our leader.

With Nolan, we shouldn't have much trouble. If he's out, then I'm not so sure that we can or will win. I will say that last night does encourage me, as Nolan had a relatively bad game and the rest of the team played amazingly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    First, I never mentioned Andre, he was respectable 2-5. But do you realize Duke was 3 of 15? Kyle is about 16 for 100 in the last 16 or so games. Nolan was not very good either in the UNC game and last night he was 0-4.

Next, make an extra pass? Every shot Kyle took from 3 last night he was wide open. I'm not sure looking for someone to pass to is the option, more of take it to the basket. The guy had 29 points and none from 3 land, that tells me his game is going to the hole and not shoting the 3's.

Seth had a nice night, 11 points. But he was 3-11, 0-1 from 3 land.

These guys need to take it to the basket and get the easy shots or foul shots. Duke doesn't need the 3 if they take it to the basket and play good defense. They need to play with a lot of intensity like they did last night when Nolan went down.

Live by the 3 die by the 3, we have seen Duke go through that before and ask ND, they died by the 3 last night against 'ville.

The key for Duke, NO MORE 3's.
    First, I never mentioned Andre...
    These two post are contradictory as Dawkins plays for Duke. Therefore when you say "NO MORE 3's" you imply Dawkins shouldn't attempt 3-point shots.

We will have to agree to disagree here. But I guarantee Duke will attempt some 3-pointers today against Virginia Tech.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post

Agree 100%. And this time around, we have more to play for than they do. They're in the tournament at this point, which is all they wanted. We still have a shot at a #1 seed, but probably have to win out to get it.

NONE!

The key for Duke, NO MORE 3's. Kyle was 0-4. He took two in a row and was wide open on both. Nolan was off too. Not a time for him to go cold from the outside plus his injury is a concern. They might be able to get past VT without him but no way they get past UNC without him.
    First, you're jumping way ahead. Let's think about VT (hasn't been VPI for a long, long time) and win the game today. Then we can worry about Marshall (or maybe not if the Orange Crush is working!)

Do you really mean no more threes? Want to take away Seth and Andre last night? Kyle isn't going to stop shooting 3s, but I do think he'll be smart and try to drive and get fouled as he did last night.

And to those who said Seth didn't show leadership, I beg to differ! I thought he was a great leader both by action and by word after Nolan went down. Seth had 0 (ZERO) turnovers last night in 31 minutes of play; Nolan had 5 in the same number of minutes.

Do I want Nolan back and healthy? Of course I do. But if he has to miss today's game or even (hoping we win today) tomorrow's, I feel good with Seth in there.

Nolan, we don't want to do this without you. Heal (not Heel) quickly!

Go DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DukeDevilDeb

What do we think is an effective number of 3 point shots? We shot 15 last night. I really liked the way we attacked the hoop against MD and worked for higher quality shots. After watching last night I would prefer that trend and don't think I'd want more than 15. Thoughts? I totally appreciate there is some game to game variability here.

Any feel for what we averaged last year - especially towards the end of the season? Last night's shot selection reminded me of last year's run.