Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

No longer about who is on the court

This time of year is no longer about who is on the court. It is about the players on the court having the will to win. We have seen at various times all year and last night that Andre, Seth, Mason, Miles and Ryan can produce and of course Kyle. So whether Nolan is on the court or Kyrie comes back it is all about making the plays that they know they can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtilal View Post
    We're not better without Kyrie, but in his absence, we saw how his aggressiveness had rubbed off on Nolan. We're not better without Nolan, but I felt like I was seeing the same effect with Seth late in today's game. When it was his turn to lead, he was fearless and aggressive like Nolan and Kyrie.
    Maybe what you are seeing is just Smith and Curry's natural disposition to attack when they are the primary ball handlers. Smith was attacking the basket last season. I never saw Curry at Liberty, but I doubt he averaged 20 points per game playing passively.

I agree that this one-post-and-disappear "FourWins" character is a little strange, but I think it's possible to parse his question in a way that isn't insulting or obviously wrong.

Nolan Smith during yesterday's game was just about the weakest I've seen him play since freshman year. Again, clearly not his fault since a) Gary was gunning for him remorselessly and b) he was wearing a sling which hampered his shooting. (The no-rim bricked 3 in the first half made me wince.) It could be that FourWins is saying that this team is better off with this iteration of Nolan, i.e. one whose shooting form is stunted. If this is what he's saying, then his question is not that much out of left field.

However, I would still disagree. I'd claim that part of the reason that other players managed to get involved and get opportunities was because Smith was the object of so much attention from the opposing team. Any player which complicates an opposing team's defense to the degree that Nolan's presence does strengthens the team, even if he's not 100% -- and this is doubly true for a player that could easily be 100% in a short space of time.

Nolan is probable per Andy Katz... at least that's what ESPN just said on Sportscenter.

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    Nolan is probable per Andy Katz... at least that's what ESPN just said on Sportscenter.
    Beat me to it! Good to hear. Toe must not have swollen up too much, or Nolan is just a BA is going to tough it out!

Lets Go Duke

Link!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    Beat me to it! Good to hear. Toe must not have swollen up too much, or Nolan is just a BA is going to tough it out!

Lets Go Duke
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6209592

Talking Nolan and Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by FourWins View Post

Could Duke Actually Be Better Without Nolan Smith?

I can't be the only one who saw electricity surge through Duke when Nolan left, the Terps were still in it; we have 3 guys on the floor with 3 fouls and then we’ve got Curry and Dawkins*driving* ..suddenly Duke is not looking like a team that "lives by the 3, dies by the 3" but one capable of handling UNC without needing to be white-hot from beyond the arc.

I have nothing against the man, but Nolan is simply not good enough of a player to hog the ball as much as he does. Don't get me wrong, he can score at will and plays great D, but it gets to his head. The better he's playing, the fewer times he wants to part with the ball. Was getting him and Seth to combine for 50+ really going to work twice against UNC?

This is Duke. Six guys have put up 20 or more points this season. The other options are there. I want to see what Tyler can do. They may not come through, but in any event I cannot see a Smith-led team returning even to the Elite Eight.
    Welcome to the DBR. Obviously, folks have taken exception to your position, which should be no surprise. While not supportive of your position, I have no intention of piling on.

I find being a fan an emotional experience -- highs and lows following each game (and, as a measure of how spoiled we are, sometimes "lows" after wins). In government we called it a "recency problem" -- making the last thing that happened the most important. Moreover, matchups make a difference, and the Duke-Maryland matchups, while favorable to Duke, are not necessarily favorable to Nolan Smith.

Two things I believe about the Maryland game:

1. The Terps have no one to guard Kyle Singler. Young Pallson is shorter (6-6) and outweighed by 40 pounds. Mosley, who guarded him a good portion of the game, is only 6-4. No surprise that Kyle eats up the Terps.

2. WRT Nolan, I think Maryland does a really good job defending him. You are aware, aren't you, that Nolan is from just down the road from College Park and plays pickup ball in the summer on the Maryland campus? Moreover, Bowie, Gregory and Mosley are all local guys, who have known Nolan forever. Not only do the players know Nolan's game -- but it's personal.

While it can be fun to play what-if games with lineups, I am sure you recognize that K has called Nolan the best player in the ACC. Why would he ever sit him? And who would score the 21 points we would lose? If there are problems in passing, K can address those in practice.

sagegrouse
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 03-12-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post

so - we should be able to get at least something.. was the team out practicing and has anyone seen Nolan on court today.. surely they practiced this morning per-unc/clemson

Toe jam

Just sounds funky doesn't it!

I hope Nolan is back, I do love that kid!!

I was thinking if it were me I would go old school. Have the doc numb it up and go back in the game... but then again I am an idiot!

Hopefully no major damage just soreness without a chance of making the damage worse, if that is the case you know Nolan will play through the pain and be his awesome self!!

Duke is not better without Nolan Smith, obviously. The poster's point about Nolan dominating the ball and what it does to ball movement is a fairer question, and it doesn't have to do with Nolan being a ball hog, but more with the pressure on Nolan to be a distributor *and* scorer *and* defender of the other team's best guard or wing player. I've always felt the playmaking part is toughest for him to pull off well for 35+ minutes with all the other responsibilities he has, because it's never come naturally to him.

It's likely Duke is better with Nolan Smith playing off the ball with an above-average, pass-first point guard. Scheyer last year, Irving this year. (Tyler isn't quite there yet, unfortunately, and Seth is just like Nolan). Last night's spurt of scoring when Nolan left the game was fascinating, though note that the other guys weren't exactly moving the ball -- they just felt more free to create on their own, rather than looking for Nolan so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Lin View Post
    I agree that this one-post-and-disappear "FourWins" character is a little strange, but I think it's possible to parse his question in a way that isn't insulting or obviously wrong.

Nolan Smith during yesterday's game was just about the weakest I've seen him play since freshman year. Again, clearly not his fault since a) Gary was gunning for him remorselessly and b) he was wearing a sling which hampered his shooting. (The no-rim bricked 3 in the first half made me wince.) It could be that FourWins is saying that this team is better off with this iteration of Nolan, i.e. one whose shooting form is stunted. If this is what he's saying, then his question is not that much out of left field.

However, I would still disagree. I'd claim that part of the reason that other players managed to get involved and get opportunities was because Smith was the object of so much attention from the opposing team. Any player which complicates an opposing team's defense to the degree that Nolan's presence does strengthens the team, even if he's not 100% -- and this is doubly true for a player that could easily be 100% in a short space of time.
    I agree. Just what the commentators were pointing out last night when Nolan went out.

Also: if Gary's defense is designed around stopping Nolan, what does Nolan leaving the game do to the defense? It confuses things a bit for the Twerps, I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    Duke is not better without Nolan Smith, obviously. The poster's point about Nolan dominating the ball and what it does to ball movement is a fairer question, and it doesn't have to do with Nolan being a ball hog, but more with the pressure on Nolan to be a distributor *and* scorer *and* defender of the other team's best guard or wing player. I've always felt the playmaking part is toughest for him to pull off well for 35+ minutes with all the other responsibilities he has, because it's never come naturally to him.

It's likely Duke is better with Nolan Smith playing off the ball with an above-average, pass-first point guard. Scheyer last year, Irving this year. (Tyler isn't quite there yet, unfortunately, and Seth is just like Nolan). Last night's spurt of scoring when Nolan left the game was fascinating, though note that the other guys weren't exactly moving the ball -- they just felt more free to create on their own, rather than looking for Nolan so much.
    I think I agree with your main point that sometimes the other players on Duke's team can look better when Nolan is not in the game, because the team has to rely more on ball movement to generate offense. My belief is that the coaching staff feels Nolan can generate a high percentage shot more than the team could with lots of ball movement. I think that is similar to last year where the team felt that they would get higher percentage shots keeping the ball with the big 3 as much as possible as opposed to playing a prettier style with more ball movement in the low and high posts. That's my simplistic take on things that may or may not be right.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

I think we can close this thread. Thankfully.

Thankfully is right!
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    I think we can close this thread. Thankfully.

I blew out my candle about 4 minutes into the game.

"Close this thread! Close this thread! Close this thread..."

Happily.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke