Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Not a fan of opposing team fans making light of our player's injuries - even if it is intended just to poke fun at the fan base.
    I'm normally the same way, but a 67 page thread filled with wishful speculation, Holiday Inn Express-level medical opinion, and outright fan fiction -- one of the biggest embarrassments I've ever seen at DBR -- deserved this playful jab at a minimum.

I genuinely hope Nolan is OK and isn't hurt longer than this weekend, but Kong's humor is good-natured, all about the fans and not the player, and more than warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    don't worry, already got some hate mail
    Kong,

I like your wit and "give and take" on this board so keep it up.

yep

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    I'm normally the same way, but a 67 page thread filled with wishful speculation, Holiday Inn Express-level medical opinion, and outright fan fiction -- one of the biggest embarrassments I've ever seen at DBR -- deserved this playful jab at a minimum.
    Except now it's 72 pages.

Well, that post-game news is not good. We may very well be without Nolan for the rest of the weekend. Dang!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Duke medical staff needs to create a steel-toe shoe. This toe stuff has to stop.
    Amen! Steel-toed shoes for all of our players!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I think that if we knew that Nolan's injury was not at all serious and he'd be 100% tomorrow the joke would have been OK. But the fact is Nolan did not, probably could not, return to the game. That makes this a joke in poor taste, IMHO.
    Agreed. It wasn't in good taste, given that it's related to (potentially) a significant toe injury to yet another star guard.

Hopefully, Smith's toe doesn't prevent him from missing time. I'm not optimistic about tomorrow if reports are true that he was having trouble leaving the court post-game.

Well, that post-game news is not good. We may very well be without Nolan for the rest of the weekend. Dang!
    That really stinks! Unfortunately, the first thing I thought when I saw Nolan's reaction to being examined was that we would not be seeing him again in a Duke uni. Very sad. I sure hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    That really stinks! Unfortunately, the first thing I thought when I saw Nolan's reaction to being examined was that we would not be seeing him again in a Duke uni. Very sad. I sure hope I am wrong.
    Ugh. I hadn't even thought about never seeing him in a Duke uni again. Darn, now I really am depressed. It's just not funny to me.
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 03-11-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: deleted reference to OP

Wow, if Nolan cant go, Duke would be playing without the ACC/NCAA player of the year and the #1 pick in next years nba draft. man, am I the only 1 that still thinks Duke can win it all? Im always op"toe"mistic!

if kong can get 2 pitch forks I should be able to get at least 1!!!

yep. hopefully he will be okay next weekend. This of course makes it hard to win it all but also takes pressure off the team- so you never know.

We need a toe by 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon... with or without nail polish.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    Wow, if Nolan cant go, Duke would be playing without the ACC/NCAA player of the year and the #1 pick in next years nba draft. man, am I the only 1 that still thinks Duke can win it all? Im always op"toe"mistic!
    Only if Kyrie comes back and contributes immediately. A Duke team WITH Kyrie, and WITHOUT Nolan is something I had never thought about before tonight. Could be interesting. I think we really need BOTH Nolan AND Kyrie to have a serious chance at a deep run.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post

Why didn't we think of this earlier? Walter Sobchak could have gotten us a toe months ago.

Bravo, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post

Can't roll on Saturday, though, Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post

if kong can get 2 pitch forks I should be able to get at least 1!!!
    If we are without both Irving and Smith, I think it would take a miracle for us to win the NCAA championship. I'm not saying there'd be a zero percent chance, but it'd be getting to that neighborhood.

Let's just say I'm really hoping the injury to Smith isn't so serious that he misses significant time.

Remember when Kentucky had Team Turmoil? We have Team Toe-moil.

Not a fan of opposing team fans making light of our player's injuries - even if it is intended just to poke fun at the fan base.
    TV angle didn't show one miserable hole fan clapping for Nolan. Lacking in class, as always.

And spare me the "oh but there were so many others acknowledging the injury that you couldn't see on TV" cop out.

If we are without both Irving and Smith, I think it would take a miracle for us to win the NCAA championship.
    it would take close to that to even win the next couple of games. andre, if you ever planned on stepping up on the big stage, now's your time.

*grabs popcorn*

In a serious response to a funny thread...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    I find no humor in this (ok, maybe just a bit).
    But seriously...WHAT'S WITH THE DANG TOES????

GEEZ!
    I have asked myself that question 1000 times. Not only toes, but feet in general... we go back to Grant, Bobby, Elton, Carlos, Zoubs, and many other Duke players who have had serious foot/toe injuries. And these are just basketball players. If we go over to the football side, there have been many more.

[I'm working on how to put this tactfully...]

Several of the student athletes have suggested to me that the shoes that our athletic teams wear do not offer tremendous support. Obviously, that is a very touchy subject. Any thoughts?
    DukeDevilDeb