Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    I think Gbinije and him would work well together. We are rarely a position team, and if we are minus Mason next year (hypothetical of him going to the NBA), we could really use two wings for a small lineup with Quinn to distribute, AR, these guys and a rebounder (Ryan, Miles, or Hairston). This would be an alternative when we need more athleticism against a team. Seth in when Quinn isn't (Tyler as a defensive stopper, and for foul trouble), and Andre would still get minutes subbing for guys. This would give us insane versatility, and we would be able to pressure without fear of fouls due to the guys we have to throw in.

Its just youtube clips but Daniels looks to have a hell of an upside..

Amazing two years ago people were questioning if Coach K could recruit on a elite level anymore..now we have an embarassment of riches of young talent coming in the next few years..

I still think Parker in 2012 is the big fish..if we can land a post player like that for the first time in years it iwll be unfair to the rest of the country..

As far as MG as people have said i think we found a gem..Not that he was ever lowly rated but i think hes improved drastically from even last year when he was a 4 star number 29 recruit..

He was always a smoth polished player with a midrange game but now he seems to have expanded his range and has become a much more explsosive athlete..

Quote Originally Posted by AAA1980 View Post
    As far as MG as people have said i think we found a gem..Not that he was ever lowly rated but i think hes improved drastically from even last year when he was a 4 star number 29 recruit..

He was always a smoth polished player with a midrange game but now he seems to have expanded his range and has become a much more explsosive athlete..
    Agreed. Him and Deandre out there would add matchup problems galore for other teams. They both have athleticism, length, long arms, and they can both shoot. I don't see a problem having both of them out there against a lot of teams. Two guards, two wings, and a big could be hard for a lot of teams to stop on D.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If I wanted to make you feel old, I'd throw in Doug Kistler. Or Marty Doherty.
    And you can't go wrong with Randy Denton and Carroll Youngkin. I admit it, I'm old. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I think Gbinije and him would work well together. We are rarely a position team, and if we are minus Mason next year (hypothetical of him going to the NBA), we could really use two wings for a small lineup with Quinn to distribute, AR, these guys and a rebounder (Ryan, Miles, or Hairston). This would be an alternative when we need more athleticism against a team. Seth in when Quinn isn't (Tyler as a defensive stopper, and for foul trouble), and Andre would still get minutes subbing for guys. This would give us insane versatility, and we would be able to pressure without fear of fouls due to the guys we have to throw in.
    But this is my exact point. You think we will ever see 4 freshman on the court at one time? You really think Cook is going to come in ahead of Thornton. When Cook played Marshall's team, I wasn't that impressed and after you get past the first 10-15 recruits in just about any class, the instant impact of freshman is rare and random (Jeremy Lamb was the 43rd rated SG in his class, meanwhile many plenty of guys rated higher have struggled). Hairston was ranked higher than all guys we are talking about except Rivers and he doesn't get any time.

And it seems you are insinuating that Dawkins and Curry will be coming off the bench? B/c that is outrageous. And do you know what the biggest knock on Daniels is? That he isn't strong and has a lot of muscle to gain so all of a sudden, he is going to start in the ACC? Defense seems to be the last thing these kids seem to grasp and while I think everyone has some upside and MG could be a diamon in the rough, I expect you all will be surprised at how little these kids play. Remember, Hairston was the 19th rated prospect according to ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    But this is my exact point. You think we will ever see 4 freshman on the court at one time? You really think Cook is going to come in ahead of Thornton. When Cook played Marshall's team, I wasn't that impressed and after you get past the first 10-15 recruits in just about any class, the instant impact of freshman is rare and random (Jeremy Lamb was the 43rd rated SG in his class, meanwhile many plenty of guys rated higher have struggled). Hairston was ranked higher than all guys we are talking about except Rivers and he doesn't get any time.

And it seems you are insinuating that Dawkins and Curry will be coming off the bench? B/c that is outrageous. And do you know what the biggest knock on Daniels is? That he isn't strong and has a lot of muscle to gain so all of a sudden, he is going to start in the ACC? Defense seems to be the last thing these kids seem to grasp and while I think everyone has some upside and MG could be a diamon in the rough, I expect you all will be surprised at how little these kids play. Remember, Hairston was the 19th rated prospect according to ESPN.
    I very much agree that experience is valuable and a few posters on this thread seem to be undervaluing Dawkins and Curry.

According to the RSCI rankings-with the final 2011 rankings to come--Hairston's consensus ranking was lower than the current rankings of Cook, Daniels and Gbinije. This is the only ranking service that I use, because they always throw out the Soviet judges.

I am not saying there is no way they play above the guys, but I am saying that AR will likely earn a starting position. Tyler is going to have to get comfortable being in games. He is very good, but he isn't comfortable yet, and I don't see us playing him more this season to change that. Quinn's attitude makes me think that he will be fine (he is confident to the point that opposing fans would think he is cocky). As for Dawkins, I love the kid. He is one of my favorite players, but he has to work on his handle immensely, and then he is only 6'4, so he seems more a 2 than a 3. His athleticism is tops for a 3, but right now he isn't able to maneuver through a lane with the ball on a string like some of the other guys, and that leaves him a designated shooter unless the lane is wide open. Seth would start if we didn't have Austin, but I am just thinking the hype isn't for nothing on Austin (he is able to look pretty good against John Wall).

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I very much agree that experience is valuable and a few posters on this thread seem to be undervaluing Dawkins and Curry.

According to the RSCI rankings-with the final 2011 rankings to come--Hairston's consensus ranking was lower than the current rankings of Cook, Daniels and Gbinije. This is the only ranking service that I use, because they always throw out the Soviet judges.
    Fair enough and I'd have to agree that is probably the most reliable way but even then, they are a few spots ahead of Hairston. But again, once you get past the first 11 recruits from last year, you had a mixed bag of effectiveness. So to rely on players ranked in the 20-30's to start especially for K is a bit ambitious.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I am not saying there is no way they play above the guys, but I am saying that AR will likely earn a starting position. Tyler is going to have to get comfortable being in games. He is very good, but he isn't comfortable yet, and I don't see us playing him more this season to change that. Quinn's attitude makes me think that he will be fine (he is confident to the point that opposing fans would think he is cocky). As for Dawkins, I love the kid. He is one of my favorite players, but he has to work on his handle immensely, and then he is only 6'4, so he seems more a 2 than a 3. His athleticism is tops for a 3, but right now he isn't able to maneuver through a lane with the ball on a string like some of the other guys, and that leaves him a designated shooter unless the lane is wide open. Seth would start if we didn't have Austin, but I am just thinking the hype isn't for nothing on Austin (he is able to look pretty good against John Wall).
    Well AR is the exception just like KI. But Thorton would have rarely seen the floor had KI not got injured and I don't expect him to play but players make the biggest jump from freshman to sophomore year. Just look at Ryan Kelly for any proof of what staying at Duke for the summer will do for confidence and getting you ready.

But K doesn't necessarily do positions and we have played 3 guards with G being the 3 if I remember correctly. And Seth/AR starting isn't mutually exclusive. For one AR is 6'4 so he could slide to the 3 or Curry could go to the 1. I suspect the starting backcourt will be 3 out of the Thornton, Curry, AR, and Dawkins crowd.

But K gives time from a defensive standpoint and AR seems to have the frame to play from day 1. MG has a pretty solid frame but Daniels will struggle with the strength of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA1980 View Post

I agree. His latest Vol.5 Highlight Mixtape showed tremendous improvement (and the domination of one James McAdoo).

What I think sets Gbinije apart is his skill level. He is one of the most fundamentally sound players I have seen in a while, with a game that shows 0 chance of difficulty translating to college.

If we don't get Daniels, I can definitely see Gbinije starting at small forward or at least playing significant minutes at the 3 if we go big and splitting the time with Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    If we don't get Daniels, I can definitely see Gbinije starting at small forward or at least playing significant minutes at the 3 if we go big and splitting the time with Andre.
    I can see either/both of Daniels/Gbinije playing decent minutes, but I would be surprised if either of them start.

Any updates here? I'm still a little confused as to how Daniels is the only player to not commit anywhere yet. What is the timeline for his decision?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDevil View Post
    Any updates here? I'm still a little confused as to how Daniels is the only player to not commit anywhere yet. What is the timeline for his decision?
    Apparently he was committed to Texas in the fall, then almost committed to Kansas. Now he's a Duke lean. I'm not entirely sure of the change of heart, but Duke appears likely.

He'll come visit Duke soon. We'll see what happens after that.

There are a lot of people surrounding who have positive relationships with the Duke coaching staff and have been instrumental in getting Daniels and the staff to this point.

Seems like he's paying attention.

I havent seen anything on Daniels, is he a McDonalds AA?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDevil View Post
    Yes his recruitment has been strange to say the least, just google his name and you will see he commited to Texas then supposedly to Kansas and is now a Duke lean.

Anyway here is how we are in on it: Greg Spatola and Andy Borman

"Greg Spatola is the director of basketball operations at IMG, meaning he works in the same office as Borman. Greg Spatola is also the younger brother of Chris Spatola, Duke's director of basketball operations. Chris is married to Jamie, the daughter of Coach K."

"Andy Borman, a native of Illinois, was a walk-on guard who earned a national championship ring with the Duke Blue Devils. He's an alum at IMG Academy and last June, Borman was named the basketball director at IMG Academy, the current residence of Daniels.
    Borman, like Coach Mike Krzyzewski is a native of Illinois. Heck, it's better than that, he's the cousin of Jamie Spatola which makes him the nephew of Coach K."

Link: http://www.imgacademies.com/basketba...-daniels/1039/

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Apparently he was committed to Texas in the fall, then almost committed to Kansas. Now he's a Duke lean. I'm not entirely sure of the change of heart, but Duke appears likely.
    Is there any concern of him giving a verbal to Duke and then changing his mind again? When do they have to sign the LOI?

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    I havent seen anything on Daniels, is he a McDonalds AA?
    He was supposed to be in the class of 2012 but has reclassified for this year. Below is Scout.com's take and little bit of ESPN's as well.

DeAndre Daniels 6'8" 180lbs (Reclassified for 2011 and is the 3rd best SF 9th overall, 5 star prospect)
    - He is considered a top tier player and potentially a 1 or 2 year guy before going pro. Guys ranked in the top 10 usually get big mins at any school and are game changers (not every time but majority of the time).

Strengths:
    He has great size, Great Speed, Respectable 3 pt shooter and a good rebounder.

Weaknesses:
    He is very slender, a little too aggresive at times leading to bad shot selection and overlooking open teamates.

I've never seen Daniels play live, and I realize the risk of basing things on mixtape-style YouTube clips, but if that's the sort of player he is -- long, lean 1-or-2-and-done type with a jumper -- I could absolutely see him potentially being a starting player.

I mean, I really like Andre. It was great to see him hitting some shots at the end of the season. But despite flashes of athleticism, he's been relatively one-dimensional. Granted, that one dimension is a wonderful shooting stroke, but he doesn't get to the line and doesn't really distinguish himself on defense. I know he'll be a junior, and he'll play a lot regardless, but I don't think it's a given he starts. Curry offers a lot more, since he has some point guard skills and contributes defensively. Same with Thornton, I think Cook will play a lot more than he will even if neither start, since Cook is a much better player right now and the 3-4 year future of the point guard position at Duke.

If Irving does the logical thing and leaves (though we all hope he doesn't), I can potentially see it like this if Daniels comes -- and I apologize if this is more for the "Next Year" thread:

G - Curry
    G - Rivers
    F - Daniels
    F - Plumlee
    F - Plumlee

Bench (in relative order): Dawkins, Kelly, Cook, Gbinije, Hairston

Personally, I would hope Hairston does a little better than what I laid out here. I liked what I saw in limited time. Kinda crowded, but I'd be excited to see a team like this.