Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Muchos Gracias!

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive.

Duke's standard deviation for offensive efficiency was 13.5, with performances ranging from a low of 88.2 to a high of 127.6. 7 performances were between 100 and 120, with 5 below and 4 above. Our eFG standard deviation was 6.1% - we were never lower than 40, and only once higher than 60.

Carolina was actually less consistent, in part because of a higher high (139.5) and a lower low (77.4). They did end up with 8 performances between 100 and 120 (including 5 of the last 6), with 6 below and 2 above. Their eFG also varied more - a standard deviation of 9% with 4 games below 40 and 2 above 60.
    I am not disappointed to be wrong.

To ask the other question - what about the consistency/SD of defense? - as I am sure our welcomed guest from the paler shade of blue will also want to know.

Thanks!!

Ask and ye shall receive.

Duke's standard deviation for offensive efficiency was 13.5, with performances ranging from a low of 88.2 to a high of 127.6. 7 performances were between 100 and 120, with 5 below and 4 above. Our eFG standard deviation was 6.1% - we were never lower than 40, and only once higher than 60.

Carolina was actually less consistent, in part because of a higher high (139.5) and a lower low (77.4). They did end up with 8 performances between 100 and 120 (including 5 of the last 6), with 6 below and 2 above. Their eFG also varied more - a standard deviation of 9% with 4 games below 40 and 2 above 60.
    This is fantastic. Thanks a lot PFR - I'm actually happily surprised. I would have lost a ton of cash if I had on the SD - thank god I didn't.

So, I stand corrected - Duke is not only more efficient but also more consistent. Nice.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Its almost Game time for the ACC tourney!

Which team is a better matchup for Unc (UVa or Miami)?

And then Are we pulling for NCState or Maryland today, for Duke matchup on Friday?

I am thinking about going to the games today. I know the tickets will be cheap and in abundance today! I would really like to see Maryland and State game!

Almost, Game time! NOON

Quote Originally Posted by mus074 View Post
    I am not disappointed to be wrong.

To ask the other question - what about the consistency/SD of defense? - as I am sure our welcomed guest from the paler shade of blue will also want to know.

Thanks!!
    Carolina had a more consistent defense - their SD was 8.8, while ours was 12.8. We had very spread defensive performances - 7 below 90, but 5 above 100. Carolina was slightly less spread - 6 below 90, 4 above 100, and 6 in between.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Carolina had a more consistent defense - their SD was 8.8, while ours was 12.8. We had very spread defensive performances - 7 below 90, but 5 above 100. Carolina was slightly less spread - 6 below 90, 4 above 100, and 6 in between.
    This would help explain why Pomeroy thinks we have the #2 defense in the nation but several posters have lamented that our defense has been spotty lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    This would help explain why Pomeroy thinks we have the #2 defense in the nation but several posters have lamented that our defense has been spotty lately.
    Standard Deviation is a beautiful - and completely underused - tool in sports analytics.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club