Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    They just showed the profiles of Pitt, Duke & Notre Dame and ours just isn't even close. Against the Top 25, Pitt is 6-4, Duke is 2-2 and ND is 7-4. Against the Top 50 it gets a little better, Pitt is 9-5, Duke is 8-3 and ND is 10-4. I still think if Duke wins the ACC, they could get a 1 seed and everyone can complain that either Pitt or ND didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    They just showed the profiles of Pitt, Duke & Notre Dame and ours just isn't even close. Against the Top 25, Pitt is 6-4, Duke is 2-2 and ND is 7-4. Against the Top 50 it gets a little better, Pitt is 9-5, Duke is 8-3 and ND is 10-4. I still think if Duke wins the ACC, they could get a 1 seed and everyone can complain that either Pitt or ND didn't.
    Well, 8-3 is a better percentage than either 9-5 or 10-4. And if Duke beats UNC and ND does not win the Big East tourney, then our 3-2 against the top 25 will also be a better winning percentage than either of them.

So the only way our profile "isn't even close" is because we played fewer games against top teams than they did. Although I think we still have more games and more wins against the top 100. It's not like we dodged anybody, though. Or play in a mid-major conference or anything.

I just checked the RPI, and as of this moment we are ranked higher than both Pitt and Notre Dame and, get this, our schedule strength is ranked higher than both Pitt and Notre Dame. We are also ranked higher than both Big East teams in Pomeroy and also in Sagarin "predictor." I conclude that if we win the ACC (and Notre Dame does not win the Big East), our profile is better than either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, 8-3 is a better percentage than either 9-5 or 10-4. And if Duke beats UNC and ND does not win the Big East tourney, then our 3-2 against the top 25 will also be a better winning percentage than either of them.

So the only way our profile "isn't even close" is because we played fewer games against top teams than they did. Although I think we still have more games and more wins against the top 100. It's not like we dodged anybody, though. Or play in a mid-major conference or anything.

I just checked the RPI, and as of this moment we are ranked higher than both Pitt and Notre Dame and, get this, our schedule strength is ranked higher than both Pitt and Notre Dame. We are also ranked higher than both Big East teams in Pomeroy and also in Sagarin "predictor." I conclude that if we win the ACC (and Notre Dame does not win the Big East), our profile is better than either of them.
    Point taken. I think I was drawn into ESPN's Big East love fest. Agreed, it's not Duke's fault the ACC is down.

I always think that RPI top 25 numbers are WAY overrated by the media. From everything I have read based on the mock selection process, the top 50 numbers are much more widely used than top 25 numbers. Here's a quote about the "nitty-gritty" sheets that are widely used for a quick overview from Andy Staples column about the mock selection this year:

Throughout the process, these monitors would show the teams up for consideration, side-by-side comparisons of specific teams and "nitty-gritty" reports on each team that feature 16 different factors including RPI rank, records (home, away, neutral and against RPIs 1-50, 51-100, 101-200 and RPI top 100), average opponent RPI rank and strength of schedule. (Notice how often the RPI pops up there?)

He talks a lot about how much the RPI is used, but never mentions RPI 1-25 as a major criteria. I know Big East teams in general have played a ton of them this year, but overall, but in general, the sample size is too small to use it as much as top 50.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    How would the committee decide which stats are more important than the others? Is record vs top 25 more important than the record vs top 50 or top 100? It's so arbitrary where you draw the line. Since none of them are statisticians, they should just go with the overall RPI, which takes into account all the data and gives you one simple number/ranking.

As of this morning, somehow we jumped BYU and SDSU in the rankings and now sit at #3. ND is at 6 and Pitt at 9. For all the talk about how strong the Big East is this year, our SOS is not that much worse than ND's or Pitt's.

Of course, all we can control is our own games and we need to keep winning. But if people are going to use the RPI as one of the criteria, it should be used appropriately, and if it is, it would seem to favor Duke as a #1 seed.

Can anyone explain this? Earlier this week, Lunardi had Duke as the 1 seed in the West, and Pittsburgh as a 2 seed somewhere else. Nothing happens during the week, and a couple of Lunardi's updates keep it that way, until today. Now Lunardi is showing Duke as a 2 seed and Pittsburgh a 1 seed. The only event that transpired involving those two teams was Pittsburgh's loss to UConn. How does that cause any change for these two teams? Mock brackets and drafts are just pure nonsense, and I am trying to ignore them.
    By the way, Carolina just won over Mami on a last second shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post

Can anyone explain this? Earlier this week, Lunardi had Duke as the 1 seed in the West, and Pittsburgh as a 2 seed somewhere else. Nothing happens during the week, and a couple of Lunardi's updates keep it that way, until today. Now Lunardi is showing Duke as a 2 seed and Pittsburgh a 1 seed. The only event that transpired involving those two teams was Pittsburgh's loss to UConn. How does that cause any change for these two teams? Mock brackets and drafts are just pure nonsense, and I am trying to ignore them.
    By the way, Carolina just won over Mami on a last second shot.
    Its all about timing. He didn't write it today, but on TV last night, he said that Duke or Carolina would pass Pitt with an ACC title. Pitt's loss on it's own was not enough to drop them below us and Notre Dame passed us with a convincing win. If Duke wins are added to the picture, Lunardi thinks that will change.

EDIT - Sorry, forgot to mention: I'm not sure what you were looking at before, but I don't think Lunardi had Pitt as a two that recently. ND was a 2, but Pitt was always ahead of us.

So our #1s are most likely tOSU, Kansas, ND and whichever of us or unc wins the ACC tournament. I'm not sold on ND at all, but you kind of have to give a #1 to whomever you think the best Big East team is.

This works not only mathematically, but in fulfilling the needs of each team's respective fanbases. I mean, Byu and Pitt people don't obsess over what their seed is the way we, unc and Kansas fans do. Pitt folks are still trying to get over the Super Bowl, believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    So our #1s are most likely tOSU, Kansas, ND and whichever of us or unc wins the ACC tournament. I'm not sold on ND at all, but you kind of have to give a #1 to whomever you think the best Big East team is.

This works not only mathematically, but in fulfilling the needs of each team's respective fanbases. I mean, Byu and Pitt people don't obsess over what their seed is the way we, unc and Kansas fans do. Pitt folks are still trying to get over the Super Bowl, believe me.
    I cant decide if I should worry more about getting a #1 or who our #2/#1 opponent in the bracket is. Can we specifically request BYU?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I cant decide if I should worry more about getting a #1 or who our #2/#1 opponent in the bracket is. Can we specifically request BYU?
    I'd worry more about who our potential Sweet Sixteen opponents would be.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    If we get a 2 it's very likely we will be in the east bracket with The Ohio State University due to the stupid new seeding system. Its important to the get the #1 out west with BYU.

Either that, or we have to hope K can work some of that perennial "Duke gets an easy bracket" magic

Quote Originally Posted by Gewebe14 View Post
    If we get a 2 it's very likely we will be in the east bracket with The Ohio State University due to the stupid new seeding system. Its important to the get the #1 out west with BYU.

Either that, or we have to hope K can work some of that perennial "Duke gets an easy bracket" magic
    New Orleans might be closer, so if we're a #2, we might go there instead. But you're right, it's vital that we get a #1 so at least we'll have a chance to go out west. (We could get sent to New Orleans as a #1 in the alternative, however.)

And we should be rooting for BYU to win their tournament too to solidify them as a 2.

Speaking of BYU ...

Jimmer has >33 points< in the FIRST HALF of the game against New Mexico. BYU leads 47-42. If Jimmer plays out of his head, he could will that team deep in the tournament. One off night from him, and they're done, no matter who they're playing. Fascinating.

Yeah, but as a wise poster once said, it's awful hard to beat a team three times in a season...
    And indeed it proves to be (at least for New Mexico)
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Gotta think that with Notre Dame's loss, Duke controls its own destiny now. Win the ACCT and get a spot on the top line.

ND loses! If we win ACCT, there is NO way we don't get a 1-seed now.

Now it appears New Orleans is back in play. Not sure that is terrible for Duke. The other #1 could now probably be Texas if they with the Big 12 tournament. Or BYU could steal the West. But this probably just changes ND and Duke on the S-curve. So I guess it becomes either Duke/Texas in the SE or Duke stays in the East with tOSU or they go out West with ND.
    Today on ESPN, some analyst not named Lunardi said that being #5 or #4 on the S-curve didn't matter but Joe has been saying all year that it is a huge difference. B/c I would prefer getting the 4th #1 seed as opposed to playing close to home which still wouldn't be that close.
    Last edited by sporthenry; 03-12-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    Gotta think that with Notre Dame's loss, Duke controls its own destiny now. Win the ACCT and get a spot on the top line.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    ND loses! If we win ACCT, there is NO way we don't get a 1-seed now.
    Agreed with the above, but winning out this weekend will still be a tall order, especially if Nolan is really hurt. Without him (and frankly, perhaps with him), we will have our hands full tomorrow against a Hokies team that still wants to confirm their Dance ticket, and the heels would be a heck of a challenge on Sunday (I'm not dumb enough to convince myself that they'll lose to Climpsun in Greensboro tomorrow). I think our chances at a #1 are still about 50-50 right now.

if duke plays like they did in the last 6 or 8 minutes of tonights game, it won't matter what anybody else does....remember, we had a 5 point lead, 65-60 when nolan went out...we went on a 11-2 run...and ran them to death...we were fast and poured in the points....

Lunardi just posted his latest update and still has ND ahead of Duke (and Pitt for that matter). Yesterday after Pitt lost, he said that they were still ahead of Duke, but winning the ACCT would change that. I assume the same would apply here, but haven't seen him on TV yet to confirm that it would indeed be the case.