OK, Just for fun

Watch this video, and count the number of passes by the team in white. It's pretty cool.

Is it 12, 13, 14, or 15?

(And please don't give it away too soon! This means you, too, Ozzie.)

-jk

Spoilers -- highlight below text after viewing the video. Do not highlight if you have not seen the video:

I don't get it. I was watching the white team pass and then a guy in a gorilla suit walked through the frame. It did not really surprise me or anything. I did not really notice him until he was about in the middle of the frame because I was concentrating on the white team. Was there something more to this I was suppoosed to get? Is it some visual trick and do most people not see the Gorilla guy?

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Spoilers -- highlight below text after viewing the video. Do not highlight if you have not seen the video: -Jason
    I agree with Jason!

Spoiler:Well, I didn't notice the Gorilla coming or going - at all - until I watched it a second time. I was totally oblivious.

But I suppose that's me.

-jk

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I'm with Jason.

All right, how do you put spoiler tags on around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I'm with Jason.

All right, how do you put spoiler tags on around here?
    Just add {color="white"} before the text and {/color} after, but replace the {} with []. (Credit to Jason Evans whom I can only hope to emulate but never equal!)

-jk

I counted 14.

I had the same reaction as -jk.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Spoiler

As I was watching the video, I remembered an article I read in The New Yorker, geez, at least 3 years ago about how accidents happen, particularly while driving. They referenced some studies including one that showed when people were given a task to perform, like counting passes by people in white uniforms, they don't notice the guy in the gorilla suit. So, although I didn't start out looking for the guy in the gorilla suit, I did see him right away and realized I was not at all surprised when he showed up. My reaction to this video was colored by expectations. IIRC something like 80-85% of people don't notice the gorilla. The point being that people often don't see what they don't expect to see.

Still, a couple of things about that video were problematic. If the gorilla is wearing a white shirt I bet almost everybody notices him. Second, if the other team is wearing a color other than black, I think more people notice him. Third, if you put the gorilla in any colored t-shirt, I bet more people notice as well. It made me want to see more results.