Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2011 ACC Tournament – Quarter Finals – March 11, 2011

The silver lining is that we play at 7 instead of noon when I have to work. Are the seeds now set for the ACCT?
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    The silver lining is that we play at 7 instead of noon when I have to work. Are the seeds now set for the ACCT?
    No several ACC games are still scheduled for tomorrow.

Not sure, but there are 3 more ACC games tomorrow.

The top 4 are - UNC 1, Duke 2, FSU 3, Clemson 4.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

We can definitely narrow our quarterfinals round game to Maryland, Virginia, Miami or NC State.
    From what I can gather, either Maryland or Virginia will be the #7 seed, and either NC State or Miami will be the #10 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    We can definitely narrow our quarterfinals round game to Maryland, Virginia, Miami or NC State.
    From what I can gather, either Maryland or Virginia will be the #7 seed, and either NC State or Miami will be the #10 seed.
    Im pretty sure Maryland is the seven seed because they split with UVA, so the tiebreaker starts the top of the standings and goes down. They are both 0-1 vs. UNC and both 0-2 vs. Duke... then UVA is 0-1 vs. FSU and UMD is 1-0

Quote Originally Posted by burns15 View Post
    Im pretty sure Maryland is the seven seed because they split with UVA, so the tiebreaker starts the top of the standings and goes down. They are both 0-1 vs. UNC and both 0-2 vs. Duke... then UVA is 0-1 vs. FSU and UMD is 1-0
    Yep, you are correct. So it will be either Maryland, Miami, or NC State in the quarters.

If Miami beat GT tomorrow, they (Miami) will be tied with Maryland and UVA for 7th. I'll let somebody else figure out the tiebreaker, I'm just tellin' the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer's Daddy View Post
    If Miami beat GT tomorrow, they (Miami) will be tied with Maryland and UVA for 7th. I'll let somebody else figure out the tiebreaker, I'm just tellin' the facts.
    Looks like I spoke too soon again. 3-team tiebreakers are more complicated:

3. If three or more teams are tied in the standings, the following procedures will be used:

a. The combined record of conference games between the tied teams involved will be compiled. Ties will be broken, and seedings assigned, based on the winning percentage of the combined conference records. The higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group is unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1; 1-0 is the same as 2-0; 2-0 is the same as 4-0; 2-1 is the same as 4-2; 1-0 is better than 1-1; 0-1 is the same as 0-2; 0-2 is the same as 0-4).

b. If procedure (a) fails to break the tie, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage by a higher winning percentage.

c. If the tie is broken by (a) or (b) regarding one of more teams, but three or more teams remain tied, then procedures (a) and (b) will be reapplied among those tied teams only.

d. If two teams remain tied, procedures (1) and (2) will be followed.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...022607aaa.html

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    So it will be either Maryland, Miami, or NC State in the quarters.
    Even with the complicated tiebreakers, I think you are correct here. I think the following is accurate, but am willing to be corrected by others with better powers of concentration when wading through tiebreakers and season records.

1. The following are set: 1 UNC, 2 Duke, 3 FSU, 4 Clemson, 11 GaT, 12 Wake

Three games tomorrow. [Uh, today.]

2. Wake @ BC

2a. BC win [likely] = 5 BC, 6 VaT

2b. BC loss = 5 VaT, 6 BC

3. The other 2 games are Miami @ GT and FSU @ NCSt

3a. Miami win = 7 Miami, 8 Md, 9 UVa, 10 NCSt

3b. Miami loss + NCSt win = 7 Md 7, 8 UVa, 9 NCSt, 10 Miami

3c. Miami loss + NCSt loss - 7 Md, 8 UVa, 9 Miami, 10 NCSt

I assume most DBR folks are primarily interested in the potential "paths" to an ACCT final between Duke and UNC. I further assume UNC rooters are pretty confident right now, and "fear" none of the 8-9 possibles. OK, fair enough, so I'd prefer scenario 3c above, in which the Heels might face Miami on Friday. I'm guessing that, however confident, Heel fans would just as soon avoid Miami in favor of, say, UVa as their Friday opponent.

Sticking with UNC's side of the bracket, I'd like to see Clemson get by [likely opponent] BC on Fri, to set up an interesting semi with UNC on Sat.

Duke's side of the bracket appears - as befits our lower seed - tougher. I think Miami is the most dangerous of the possible Friday opponents, but either Md or NCSt, having each also lost twice to the Devils, would be revenge-minded, not to mention desperate.

Assuming a win on Fri, I'd welcome a revenge-chance against either FSU or VaT on Sat.

So a Duke-Clemson final would be an interesting surprise on Sunday. [I can, of course, imagine some unpleasant surprises.] But a Duke-UNC final would be very exciting.

Concentrate on winning each game

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Even with the complicated tiebreakers, I think you are correct here. I think the following is accurate, but am willing to be corrected by others with better powers of concentration when wading through tiebreakers and season records.

1. The following are set: 1 UNC, 2 Duke, 3 FSU, 4 Clemson, 11 GaT, 12 Wake

Three games tomorrow. [Uh, today.]

2. Wake @ BC

2a. BC win [likely] = 5 BC, 6 VaT

2b. BC loss = 5 VaT, 6 BC

3. The other 2 games are Miami @ GT and FSU @ NCSt

3a. Miami win = 7 Miami, 8 Md, 9 UVa, 10 NCSt

3b. Miami loss + NCSt win = 7 Md 7, 8 UVa, 9 NCSt, 10 Miami

3c. Miami loss + NCSt loss - 7 Md, 8 UVa, 9 Miami, 10 NCSt

I assume most DBR folks are primarily interested in the potential "paths" to an ACCT final between Duke and UNC. I further assume UNC rooters are pretty confident right now, and "fear" none of the 8-9 possibles. OK, fair enough, so I'd prefer scenario 3c above, in which the Heels might face Miami on Friday. I'm guessing that, however confident, Heel fans would just as soon avoid Miami in favor of, say, UVa as their Friday opponent.

Sticking with UNC's side of the bracket, I'd like to see Clemson get by [likely opponent] BC on Fri, to set up an interesting semi with UNC on Sat.

Duke's side of the bracket appears - as befits our lower seed - tougher. I think Miami is the most dangerous of the possible Friday opponents, but either Md or NCSt, having each also lost twice to the Devils, would be revenge-minded, not to mention desperate.

Assuming a win on Fri, I'd welcome a revenge-chance against either FSU or VaT on Sat.

So a Duke-Clemson final would be an interesting surprise on Sunday. [I can, of course, imagine some unpleasant surprises.] But a Duke-UNC final would be very exciting.
    The way we have been playing of late, we need to concentrate on winning each game along the way, and if we are fortunate enough to face UNC at the end, so be it. We also need to potentially play three games in a few days, so it is imperitive that we use as many players as possible. I definitely would include Tyler, Andre and Josh wherever we can. This is a chance for Tyler to show some offense, Andre to come out of his doldrums and Josh to show he can play defense at a high level. It would be great to come into the NCAA's as whole and fresh as possible.

To be totally honest, the worst-case scenario of teams we could play, from quarterfinals to finals, is:

Maryland (7 seed)
    Virginia Tech (6 seed)
    Carolina (duh)

The first 2 desperately need a win to make the tourney (in fact, Maryland needs to win the whole thing and knock off us and Carolina). I'd love to get to play VTech and beat them on a neutral court, but it's a rough game because they're barely in the tournament. And of course, Carolina... just not a repeat I want to see this season.

Duke's path

The most scary thing for me in the way it sets up is the potential of opening Friday against either Miami -- a tough, balanced team that gave us solid tests in two games this season -- and Maryland -- a slumping team, but one that plays with no fear against Duke.

But after getting past that potential hurdle, I LOVE the ideas of facing either Virginia Tech or FSU in the semifinals. I most of all want another shot at the Hokies.

And I very much want to see North Carolina Sunday in the championship game. I've already heard from UNC fans who think that last night proves that they are a better team at this moment. I don't want the season to end without giving the Devils a chance to prove them wrong.

So, I'll be pulling for BC today against Wake (to put Va Tech in our bracket). The other games don't matter -- we'll get either Miami or Maryland at No. 7 no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    The way we have been playing of late, we need to concentrate on winning each game along the way, and if we are fortunate enough to face UNC at the end, so be it.
    Well said. To your point, then, the relevant portion of my post [#10] is 3 a-c, and the paragraph that begins, "Duke's side of the bracket..."

In the off-chance that some may be interested in the overall look of the ACCT and its "bracketology," I trust that there might be another point or two of interest elsewhere in my attempt to see how things might shake out, depending on results from today's final 3 regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The most scary thing for me in the way it sets up is the potential of opening Friday against either Miami -- a tough, balanced team that gave us solid tests in two games this season -- and Maryland -- a slumping team, but one that plays with no fear against Duke.

But after getting past that potential hurdle, I LOVE the ideas of facing either Virginia Tech or FSU in the semifinals. I most of all want another shot at the Hokies.

And I very much want to see North Carolina Sunday in the championship game. I've already heard from UNC fans who think that last night proves that they are a better team at this moment. I don't want the season to end without giving the Devils a chance to prove them wrong.

So, I'll be pulling for BC today against Wake (to put Va Tech in our bracket). The other games don't matter -- we'll get either Miami or Maryland at No. 7 no matter what.
    I, too, would welcome the opportunity to play VaT on Sat [as that would mean a win on Friday!], and to play UNC on Sun [as that would mean a win on Saturday]. Now of course I'd prefer Duke get to play Wake 2 out of 3 on Fri-Sat-Sun, but that seems unlikely [...].

Given that our side of the bracket seems tougher than UNC's side, I don't quite agree with OF here that the "other games don't matter." I prefer bracketology option 3-c [in my post #10], which would mean UNC gets Miami, and Duke gets either Md or NCSt. I see Miami as marginally tougher than either Md or NCSt, but any of the 3 would be formidable.

As for Sat, given that, alas, Duke's opponent that day can't be Wake, I'd welcome another chance at either VaT or FSU, and might even prefer either of those to GaT, with its, uh, unnecessary roughness.

Sunday? Should Duke make it that far - likely but not certain - I, too, would love to see a great final v. the Heels. There would be some satisfaction should UNC falter before Sunday, and I do hope Clemson beats [likely] BC on Fri, for I think Clemson-UNC would be a good game on Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I agree we need to face North Carolina Sunday in order to clear up the whole who is the better team question. Due to the regular season split, things feel incomplete.
    Bob Green

Well, BC is taking care of business against Wake, so the following seeds are set:

1. UNC
    2. Duke
    3. FSU
    4. Clemson
    5. BC
    6. Virginia Tech

11. Georgia Tech
    12. Wake Forest
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

wake/bc

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Well, BC is taking care of business against Wake, so the following seeds are set:

1. UNC
    2. Duke
    3. FSU
    4. Clemson
    5. BC
    6. Virginia Tech

11. Georgia Tech
    12. Wake Forest

Well, it's final: BC 84-68 ... the same two teams meet aganst Thursday.

In fact, we now know two of the four Thursday matchups:

2 p.m. No. 5 BC vs. No. 12 Wake Forest
    9 p.m. No. 6 Virginia Tech vs. No. 11 Georgia Tech

still waiting on the noon and 7 p.m. matchups ...

I hope we don't get NCST. They play well in the tourny. Good thing if we do play them and they beat us, Sidney will stay around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree we need to face North Carolina Sunday in order to clear up the whole who is the better team question. Due to the regular season split, things feel incomplete.
    I too would like to see unc again because that gives us the best chance at a number 1 seed and because it would be the rubber match. However, I don't know how anyone can question the fact that unc is the better team right now. They DOMINATED us for 60 of the 80 minutes we've played them this year. We don't match up with them well at all.