Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Yeah, but where are our quality wins? UNC is the only ranked team we've beaten.
    Actually no. We have Kansas State and Temple in top 25. But this has been a strange year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    My sense was that UNC played a weaker schedule- but now that things have shaken out- it looks like this is not the case. It is interesting that if UNC wins the ACC tourney and if Notre Dame or Pitt falters- they will get a 1 seed. That is remarkable given that their only really quality wins were against Duke (who also beat them) and an up and down KY.
    Who are our quality wins? Michigan State is a bubble, Kansas State was awful for a few months, Temple had injured players when we beat them. That basically leaves UNC. I'd argue that UNC's win over Kentucky is more impressive than any win we have (outside of beating UNC. Then again, UNC has the win over Duke, so these technically cancel each other out).

NOTE: I am not at all blaming our coaching staff for a fairly weak strength of schedule. If Michigan State or Kansas State remained top 10 teams (like they were supposed to), we'd have an amazing SOS. Also, the ACC is just terrible this year.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Who are our quality wins? Michigan State is a bubble, Kansas State was awful for a few months, Temple had injured players when we beat them. That basically leaves UNC. I'd argue that UNC's win over Kentucky is more impressive than any win we have (outside of beating UNC. Then again, UNC has the win over Duke, so these technically cancel each other out).

NOTE: I am not at all blaming our coaching staff for a fairly weak strength of schedule. If Michigan State or Kansas State remained top 10 teams (like they were supposed to), we'd have an amazing SOS. Also, the ACC is just terrible this year.
    The main point is that I have no idea how good either Duke or UNC really are this year relative to the rest of college basketball. Neither team has much to go on. Kansas State had a slump but seems to have found themselves but Duke also had Kyrie then. Based on what I have seen, UNC is the more complete team as Marshall has stepped up and they have won close games- so they should be tourney ready. I would not be surprised to see them in the FF and win it all- but I could also see them losing to a very solid defensive team. As for Duke, it is all about execution. There is enough experience, talent and shooting to make a run but can they make plays when needed under pressure. I think going into the tourney NOT being one of the favorites- might be better for them. But losing the ACC tourney could hurt confidence. Strange year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The main point is that I have no idea how good either Duke or UNC really are this year relative to the rest of college basketball. Neither team has much to go on. Kansas State had a slump but seems to have found themselves but Duke also had Kyrie then. Based on what I have seen, UNC is the more complete team as Marshall has stepped up and they have won close games- so they should be tourney ready. I would not be surprised to see them in the FF and win it all- but I could also see them losing to a very solid defensive team. As for Duke, it is all about execution. There is enough experience, talent and shooting to make a run but can they make plays when needed under pressure. I think going into the tourney NOT being one of the favorites- might be better for them. But losing the ACC tourney could hurt confidence. Strange year.
    I think UNC and Duke's chances in the tournament will come down to as they usually do matchups. I think that both UNC and Duke will suffer from periods of not scoring the ball. If either team runs into a team that is hot offensively then both will have trouble.

Our game against UNC is prime example, we couldn't hit the open jumpers we had, went long periods without FG's and got beat. Same happened to UNC at Duke in the second half...