View Poll Results: Do you think you would enter the draft this year if you were Kyrie?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 61.83%
  • No

71 38.17%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I love watching Kyrie play for Duke. I loved even more watching him handle his injury and continuing to be a part of the team. But there is no way he should come back. Selfishly, I want him to play with Austin, but regardless of a lockout, he will be too high a draft pick to not go. I voted yes.

I vote yes simply because I would be afraid of getting a worse injury next year. Plus, it's debateable whether or not Duke is a Final 4 caliber team next year.

I would come back to Duke

If I were Kyrie, I would come back to Duke. If you go pro now - you get the money now. If you go pro next year - you get the money next year. The money will definitely be there for a player like Kyrie. But playing for Duke is a once in a lifetime opportunity. The Duke college experience is once in a lifetime. He has yet to really live it. If he passed that up - he would always regret it. How amazing would it have been? He would always wonder. He got a taste of how amazing it can be, but he never got to experience it. The chance to lead Duke to the National Championship and to win national player of the year, being on the cover of all the mags would be nice. But the experience to play in a backcourt with Austin Rivers; to have teammates like Josh, Tyler, Mason, Miles, Ryan, Marshall, Seth, Mike, and Dre; and to play for and learn from the best college basketball coach of all time is too much to pass up. Some things in life are worth much more than money. This one isn't even close. And if you come back to Duke - you still get all the money one year later when you leave. Kyrie has too much heart to play with old professional teammates who don't care about winning. They care about their paycheck and their stats. The NBA is a business. This is why the whole nation loves college basketball and follows it passionately. (And why most of the nation ignores the NBA regular season - it's passionless). And cleveland is the armpit of the midwest. If Kyrie comes back - he'll know it was worth it when he leads Duke to victory over Carolina, when he makes the Crazies explode into ecstatic bliss, when Coach K captains the journey, and when he leads and experiences that journey with teammates (brothers) he loves. It would be a very wise decision to say - "Yessir, I'm coming back to Duke! It's my life and I want to live the college dream, first, and then realize the NBA dream in the next phase of my life." Coming back to Duke is the only way to get everything he wants out of life - to accomplish all his goals - which are realistic for him.
    That said - I will fully respect his decision and cheer for him either way. If it were me - I'd come back to Duke for one more year for the reasons above. I'd live the Duke dream to the fullest, and make all my life's dreams come true. I'd have unfinished business at Duke. I wouldn't give UNC fans the satisfaction of never having to play me. But I'll respect whatever Kyrie chooses. I hope he considers the wonderful opportunity, journey, friendships, mentorships, and life experience he would have by coming back to Duke. I hope he realizes that everything he wants in the NBA will be right there one year from now. But I'll leave that up to Kyrie. If I were Kyrie Irving and had that kid's heart, I would come back to Duke and live it up. Yessir!
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 03-06-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Changing My Mind

I voted that I would leave but on careful reflection I would stay.

You can only go to college once as an 18-22 year old The money will be there later. Maybe you don't stay four years, but you ought to stay for 2 or 3.

Do you like Duke and your life at Duke? Can your family get along without big money now? Are you learning as a player? If you answer yes to all of these questions, then I would say you come back.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    ...As much as I (Kyrie) loves Duke and as much as I (Kyrie) want to play with one of my best friends and be coached by the greatest living bball coach, the guarantee of millions would just be too much. And, although I (Kyrie) understand the unlikelihood of another season-ending injury, the name "Robbie Hummel" would give me enough incentive to not risk a career-ending injury.
    If it were me, I would disagree with this kind of logic. If you never take risks in life, you never live life. I wouldn't let a risk like that prevent me from achieving my goals and living my dreams to the fullest. That's like never experiencing Hawaii because you won't take the risk of getting on the plane. Citing "Robbie Hummel" is like saying well there is a risk the plane will crash if I go to Hawaii, so I'll play it safe and never go. Because once upon a time a plane did crash. If you look at the numbers, season-ending injuries are pretty rare, and you can get insurance policies. It makes much more sense to me to have faith, do what you know is right, take some risks, live your life to the fullest, and have no regrets. The dream of playing in the NBA will be there next year. But Kyrie has to do what's right for his life. I just wouldn't let a rare risk of worst case scenario keep you from living life to the fullest. Look at best case scenario of what you'd be giving up if you don't take the risk. Then make the right decision.

I don't think the risk of injury plays any part. At the same time you could argue, why play basketball in between high school and college at all? You might get hurt!

The main reason to come back, though, is it's a long road from college champion to pro champioin, and it's hard to live the NBA lifestyle while you aren't even 21 yet. Being a top-flight prospect just makes the road longer. John Wall isn't close to sniffing the playoffs, let alone legitimately contending for the championship.

If you want a chance to be a winner on a national stage, you stay.

Redshirt

I would ask for a medical redshirt, and play 4 more seasons. Nothing could beat playing for Duke four more years. Who needs all those millions of dollars?

From the NBA career money side of the coin.. I said Yes for Kyrie to the NBA. He is expected to be a lottery pick. He is young and can go to college when he wants to.

Whatever, Kyrie and His Dad want, thats what I want for him also. I voted YES to the NBA, because thats what I feel, he wants to do!

I would love for the kid to stay at Duke 2 or 3 years, even 4. But I dont want to be selfish for the embetterment of the team.

Kyrie, the best in whatever, you choose!