View Poll Results: Do you think you would enter the draft this year if you were Kyrie?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 61.83%
  • No

71 38.17%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    You know, I really don't think I can answer this one, because no matter how I try, I can't put myself in Kyrie's place. Accordingly, I'd suggest adding a "don't know" option.

FWIW, I have felt this way ever since Mike Dunleavy went pro. I find that it makes the situation easier -- I respect that it is an intensely personal decision and I am fine with whatever our players decide to do.
    I agree with this completely. Kyrie does not have a destitute family counting on him to help them out of poverty, so he actually does have a choice.

On the one side--college is a great experience--you can get the education later, but it isn't the same. And college basketball--with its rivalries, traditions, and bonds with teammates and coaches--has got to be way more fun than the grind of NBA ball, especially on a bad team (I feel a little bad for John Wall struggling to make an impact on the ever-hapless Wizards). Most likely, the money would be there for Kyrie next year as well as this year.

But on the other side, there is the risk--if he seems substantially affected by the injury or (more of a concern) if he injures himself again, perhaps in a career-ending way, then staying in college that extra year would have been a very costly proposition. Only Kyrie can decide whether he thinks the experience would outweigh the risk or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTurkey View Post
    At age 19, when most are in an awful hurry to grow up, it would be a strong yes. At age 32, I still say yes (though a bit wistfully).
    Funny, but I thought about this in the completely opposite way. If I was still 19, I would have clicked no in an instant. Young and idealistic...more concerned aobut fun and friends than money. I would rather be BMOC and hang out with my friends and get to play for a National Title. At 34, I clicked yes. Couldn't turn down the guaranteed money. Pragmatic adult has killed that idealistic kid!

College was the best four years of my life. I would take out a big insurance policy and then stay a year to play with Austin.

Who here would wait to accomplish your ultimate dream and turn down millions of dollars if it were offered to you tomorrow?

Well

Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
    Who here would wait to accomplish your ultimate dream and turn down millions of dollars if it were offered to you tomorrow?
    His dream is to play for the Cavaliers?

Maybe his dream includes being MOP of the Final Four.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    This subject has come up in many threads. If it were me, I would stay in school. However, I loved being a student, had a lot of fun. And if I were good enough to play collegiate athletics at a high level, and even be considered as a high pro draft, I would still stay. I think of college athletics as a lot of work, but fun. Pro ball, however, is a job. No matter how good you are or how much money you make, it is still a job. Now that I am retired, I look back and can say that I really liked college and grad school. Later, my job, while great, was still a job.
    Now, we can't get into Kyrie's head (or even his boot!). We don't know all the factors in the decision he must make. I certainly have no idea whether he likes school a lot, or it is just OK. I have no idea how important money and fame is to him.
    For all the above, I don't see how I could possibly make a reasonable decision about what he will/should do. He should do whatever seems like the best course of action for him. I hope he stays.
    I think college ball is probably more of a job and more work than pro ball. Pro ball is one job. College ball is one job plus school.

I totally get loving college athletics. But there's a reason why guys like Bilas rail against the lack of equity created by the NCAA's amateurism policies. Duke, in the form of an extremely valuable education, offers one of the better, if not the best, deals available. But kids are still getting hosed in terms of the value generated versus the return. And Kyrie's injury has to highlight the fragility of a professional athlete's career.

And it's not like Duke hasn't had guys suffer tragedies that cut careers short (granted post-grad).

I'd miss college, but I'd go pro and use stacks of twenties as a salve for my regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
    Who knows what Kyrie's situation is, but there's something to be said for the long-term view. Rookie contracts are peanuts compared two the second and third contracts, no matter where you're drafted.

Basically, he's a straight-out-of-high-school player who's spent a year redshirting with a college program, and will be coming off of a severe, unique injury just as draft time rolls around. On the one hand, you can take your shot, get a few million, and go straight from 3-4 months of nothing and 1-2 months of rehab to a couple months of training before you begin your NBA career at 19. He'd probably be fine, but that's not exactly the way you dream it up in your ideal scenario.

On the other hand, you could spend the summer with the best medical and rehab team around, get yourself back into peak form, regain whatever feel and confidence you might have been lost from the longest basketball-less stretch of your life, and come back to spend another year at a college you absolutely love. You form one of the most exciting backcourts in history with a friend and fellow lottery pick, get to really be part of Duke basketball history (rather than just 8 games), pursue a championship, and maybe most importantly learn from the greatest coach alive for a full season before you leave in peak condition to take the NBA by storm.

It's not like it's that much of a risk; unless he's worried that he's not actually good enough to be a top-5 pick, it's not that money is going anywhere. And even if by some chance something did happen to hurt his stock, it would be just as bad for that to happen in the NBA, as it would potentially hurt his second contract.

I won't blame the kid if he goes - and I think he will - but I don't think it's as cut-and-dry as some make it seem.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    I think college ball is probably more of a job and more work than pro ball. Pro ball is one job. College ball is one job plus school.

I totally get loving college athletics. But there's a reason why guys like Bilas rail against the lack of equity created by the NCAA's amateurism policies. Duke, in the form of an extremely valuable education, offers one of the better, if not the best, deals available. But kids are still getting hosed in terms of the value generated versus the return. And Kyrie's injury has to highlight the fragility of a professional athlete's career.

And it's not like Duke hasn't had guys suffer tragedies that cut careers short (granted post-grad).

I'd miss college, but I'd go pro and use stacks of twenties as a salve for my regrets.
    You're not the only one thinking like that. It's hard for anyone to turn down the money available to a top draft pick, plus the thought of a career ending injury has to weigh on any decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    For Kyrie though, with the injury he's suffered this year, I wouldn't advise him to risk harming his stock either by people seeing that it's limited him somehow -- no reason to think that's the case, but you don't know -- or by injuring the toe again. That first contract, for a top three pick like it sounds like Kyrie will be, is enough that I don't think you can risk losing that opportunity.

I'd also note that Kyrie may have trouble getting insurance on his future career because of his current injury. At a minimum, it would seem that the premium would be increased so his ability to protect himself were he to choose to come back to avoid the lockout is different than that of Sullinger or Barnes for example, and at a minimum, will be more costly.

You can't risk losing the opportunity to be a pick this high. He should go.
    Now that I am (presumably) closer in age to Kyrie's parents than to Kyrie, it's easier to imagine what I would advise him to do, than what I would do in his place. And if I were his dad, this is exactly what I would argue.

Absent other considerations (see, Luol Deng), I imagine that his parents won't try to override his choice, whatever it might be. But I would guess that they will try to convince him.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Now that I am (presumably) closer in age to Kyrie's parents than to Kyrie, it's easier to imagine what I would advise him to do, than what I would do in his place. And if I were his dad, this is exactly what I would argue.

Absent other considerations (see, Luol Deng), I imagine that his parents won't try to override his choice, whatever it might be. But I would guess that they will try to convince him.
    I'm with you on this. And as much as I loved college -- every part of life has its own wonderful and awful moments. Choosing a path always has an opportunity cost. Choosing one path to avoid regret later isn't always the best strategy.

Interesting to see some of the posters who I actually know weigh in on this, in relation to their professions:

lawyer: go
    accountant: go
    teacher: stay

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I'm with you on this. And as much as I loved college -- every part of life has its own wonderful and awful moments. Choosing a path always has an opportunity cost. Choosing one path to avoid regret later isn't always the best strategy.

Interesting to see some of the posters who I actually know weigh in on this, in relation to their professions:

lawyer: go
    accountant: go
    teacher: stay
    Silly self-important teachers with all their "education is important"-this and their "there are things more important than money"-that. Bah. Who needs them.

Wink

Silly self-important teachers with all their "education is important"-this and their "there are things more important than money"-that. Bah. Who needs them.
    Amen brother!

-Wisconsin

Wink Yep, I actually had to face this dilemma myself back in the day.

(been listenin' to too much Aerosmith's 'Dream On!').

If I were Kyrie Irving, which I am not (even though I play him on television....), I would want to see what it's actually like to play a season of college basketball. I'd realize that I only got to play eight games, and then I had to sit around with a boot on and not realize what it's actually like to get out there with the guys and play. I'd miss that. I'd realize that I can only do this once; for me, as a college student, I only get one chance to play. Sure, I can always get my degree on-line or come back over the summers, but to get to go to Duke and play basketball, well, I want to see what that's like, and I just haven't had the chance to do that yet for a full year like everybody else...

That's why I'd go back to school for one more year and try to see what's that's all about.

dth.

It is a hard decision

cpa/attorney- It seems to me that if you can be sure of being a top 3 pick without having to prove that you are 100% back from your injury and that you really are as good as your 8 game experience portended, that going is the safer conservative approach, even given the uncertainty of the details of the new NBA union agreement for 2011 if any.
    However if you are invinceable and an ultimate optimist it is apparent to me that if you are destined to have a long and distinguished NBA career at the end of it you would be wishing that you had stayed and enjoyed the NCAA/college experience while you had the chance (ask Grant Hill, despite his injuries). It is equally apparent to me that unless you despise school work (or paying to go to work depending on how you view it) you are more likely to have more fun at age 20 spending a year as a campus hero, surrounded by similarly aged and intelligent classmates ( the only time in your life that you will experience this opportunity w/o having to pay for their company), than experiencing the rigors of the NBA travel schedule in the company of fully grown men 8-10 years your senior in maturity outlook and experience. All this in addition to probably losing 55 or more of you 82 games, getting physically beaten up by older more mature players every 2 days but hopefully at least still getting the opportunity to play the game you love 25-30 minutes a game.
    As far as your basketball skill is concerned I can't tell you which option will accelerate your growth more- more time practicing against better players, and playing games every other day w/o the distraction of classes and tests or additional time with a better coach, playing games under much more personnal pressure to succeed (and more memories good and bad) in games that actually mean a lot more to you and to others than any NBA game you will ever play in (championship series included).
    None of the above even takes into consideration the personnal growth and added value attributable to the educational exposure available at a place like Duke.
    Ultimately one could view the future economic value of a Duke education and degree as commensurate with a couple of years of NBA caliber earnings however realistically this value is neither guaranteed like a NBA top 3 contract nor nearly as quick or certain to materialize.
    As most of us are old wizzened veterans the majority would opt for the safety of going- Those that are bold and blessed can shoot for the stars and try to capture the best of both worlds-
    My only hope is that Kyrie chooses the option that is best for him right now and that everything works out as he hopes it will.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Right, and it would be the only experience one would ever have to regret. Think of all the experiences you would like to have in life, and you can have them - guaranteed. I would look forward to retiring from the league so I could get on with fulfilling all my dreams. So a few experiences are missed from 18-22. The rest of your life is filled with pretty much what you want it filled with. I'm not talking guaranteed happiness. That's always a crapshoot, but I am saying your odds of escaping unhappiness increase significantly. Have you ever seen an angry snorkeler?
    Last edited by Reddevil; 03-04-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Can't spell

Not saying your ultimate conclusion is wrong--while I think only Kyrie can decide, certainly I would completely understand him deciding to go. But I'm not sure I agree that college ball is more of a job than pro ball. The "more work" part I get, though theoretically, student-athletes are supposed to be doing their school work to get a degree, not so they can play basketball. [I recognize that is only a theory.] But the pros play so many more games, so many more times a week, with constant traveling and--as someone else pointed out earlier--constant pounding on the court. Sounds like a job to me.

Not that it still doesn't beat actually working for a living by a hundred miles.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    His dream is to play for the Cavaliers?
    Does anyone else think that the Cavaliers were just obfuscating when they suggested they would pick Kyrie? They have Baron Davis through 2013, and I'd imagine he'll be pretty hard to move until the 2012-13 season (when a team can take advantage of his expiring contract). Meanwhile, the Cavs have a big need down low...wouldn't Jared Sullinger (from Columbus, now playing for Ohio State) make a ton more sense? Or are they sick of the local boys after Lebron?

Anyway, it's probably a topic better addressed in the off season, since there are still so many unknowns regarding how this season plays out. But I doubt the Cavaliers would pass on a hometown hero to draft someone at a position they have locked in for the next two years. So if he were to leave this year, Kyrie may end up in Minnesota or somewhere else, and he could slip a few spots since a lot of the bottom-feeders actually have PGs already (Washington, Sacramento, New Jersey). And he might not collect his first NBA paycheck until January or so, given the way the lockout looks to play out (since the owners get TV money no matter what, and they stand to benefit a lot financially if the season is shortened or even canceled).

Me personally? Growing up a hardcore Duke fan from Durham, NC that wanted nothing more in my lifetime than to be a point guard like Bobby that could dunk like Brian and Grant and hit clutch shots like Christian? I'd want to stick around and try to be the first at Duke with 3 rings. But if I was any other teenager in America and had the chance to be a #1 pick, I'd go pro.

I read all the arguments for why he should stay and I want them to be good enough to keep Kyrie here. I think a lockout is our only hope.

If I were in his shoes, I believe I would probably go. I believe I would think long and hard about the decision, especially not being on the floor, and watching my teammates fight back against a rival while Cameron is rocking for the win. He's missed a chance to have some special memories as a player at Duke, and I think that would bother me as a player. It's such a hard call, I hope he makes a decision that is best for him and his plans. As long as he's happy, I am honored to have watched such a special talent come and play for Duke, no matter how short lived it may have been.

You are all being too emotional and too logical!

I'm a professor who has taught virtually every player on the team for the last 20 years. I can remember sitting next to Daniel Ewing's girlfriend at his first Duke game and asking her whether Daniel would stay four years. Her answer? Why would he?! And I knew that there had been a fundamental change in attitude about alma mater vs all the money!

There have been a few kids I was absolutely certain would play four years from the moment they set foot on Coach K floor (not including the Laettners and Hurleys and Hills who played during a time when the vast majority didn't leave): Shane Battier, Chris Duhon, JJ Redick, Shelden Williams, JOn Lance and Zoubs, and (I confess) Mike Dunleavy. Then there were only a few I thought might stay but also might go: Gerald Henderson and Josh McRoberts headed that list. (so I get a few wrong!) Then there were the "definitely out of here" guys like Elton, Corey and Luol.

Since watching Kyrie in the first game, I have been absolutely certain that he would leave at the end of this year. I have never wavered in that belief, though I would truly love to be wrong. After all, why should he stay?

He's never going to graduate, so a jersey in the rafters isn't a possibility.

Who cares that he didn't get to play in the Carolina game? Come on, the fans make a much bigger deal of this than the players.

Yes, he is going to go to a not very good team, but that will happen regardless of when he comes out. Nobody is going to give the NBA champions the first draft pick!

Would he like to win a national championship? Sure, but there are absolutely no guarantees (witness Duke 1999).

Does he love Duke? I think so. But not the same way we did when we were kids. Duke is a part of the business plan, and it would be very bad business for him to come back.

I have hoped against hope that this would be like the foot injury to Elton or Carlos. I'm afraid it is much more serious than that, and there is less than a 1% chance that he is ever going to wear a Duke jersey again. (Sorry, Ozzie)

Is it a right or wrong decision? The problem with asking that question is that it can only be answered in retrospect. He stays, has a brilliant year, wins the National Championship, and goes #1 in the next draft... terrific. But what happens if he stays, and the 8th game into the season he hurts his toe and can't play? That is just too big a risk here.

I hope the people who have regular contact with Kyrie are telling him, "I'm behind you regardless of your decision." He needs to hear that and to know that he can leave and still be loved.
    DukeDevilDeb