View Poll Results: Do you think you would enter the draft this year if you were Kyrie?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 61.83%
  • No

71 38.17%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The great thing about this decision for Kyrie, he really can't lose either way. It's also what makes this decision so hard.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Staying at Duke another year v. going into a locked-out NBA:

Games: If he stays in college he's guaranteed to be part of 35 or so actual games in front of thousands of fans. In the 1998 lockout, the NBA season was only 50 games. The NBPA seems better prepared this time around, which could lead to an even longer lockout.

Money: If he stays in college, he doesn't have to worry about living expenses, but his family won't see any immediate financial benefit from his success (unless he transfers to Auburn to play QB). On the other hand, he'll have living expenses and no salary if there's a lockout, but some shoe company will make sure he doesn't go hungry. Assuming he "only" gets a 7-figure endorsement deal, going pro is going to be a better financial decision in the short term, both for Kyrie and his family. In the long term, more time in college should make him better prepared for a life outside of basketball, but barring injury, he's talented enough to make more than enough money playing to be set for life.

Basketball Development: Personally, I believe this is the least clear-cut thing that could factor into his decision. By staying in college, he'll have another year of learning under one of the best coaches in all sports. He'll also be guaranteed to play actual games. However, he won't be able to spend all his time playing basketball, because he'll have to balance basketball with academics as well as the NCAA rules limiting practice time. If he goes pro, he might not be getting as good of coaching, but he'll have more time to focus on basketball and he'll be practicing against better competition. I know that if there's a lockout there may not be (m)any team practices, but he'll still be able to play in summer leagues and spend more time working out with other NBA players. Granted Blake Griffin's situation was different because there was no lockout, but it's hard to argue that he would have been better if had he spent a year rehabbing at OU instead of in the NBA.

There are certainly a number of other factors that will weigh into his decision and ultimately, he should do what's best for him and we should respect his decision. For selfish reasons, I'd like him to stay at Duke for as long as possible, but can't fault him for leaving if that's what he chooses.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    At age 19, yes.
    This is a great point, I should have included this in the question. Please imagine yourself as you were at age 19 when you vote.

I don't even think leaving would necessarily be about the money. I know we're not fans of the NBA game here, but it's played at an incredibly high level. For many with pride in their craft, it's about challenging themselves among the world's greatest.

If I were Kyrie, I'd go, because I'd want to play with the best of the best as soon as I could. Maybe I'd stumble, but having just walked on water against most of my competition for 3-4 years, I'd relish the challenge and would want to push myself to succeed.

Not saying he wouldn't develop under Coach K here (of course he would). But going against CP3 and DRose is pretty different from your peak challenge being leaving Jacob Pullen in the dust.

If I were Kyrie, at 19 years old, I'd probably go to the NBA, EXCEPT if there was a lockout. In his current situation with the injury and all, I might look at the lockout as a blessing. I lost my one season of college bball but this gives me an opportunity to get it back because the league I was going to is basically on hold! This must be a sign!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke05 View Post
    I don't even think leaving would necessarily be about the money. I know we're not fans of the NBA game here, but it's played at an incredibly high level. For many with pride in their craft, it's about challenging themselves among the world's greatest.

This. (Though the money helps too.)

Every kid is different, of course. For some, staying in school might be the right choice. For a consensus #1 pick, though, usually the draft is the way to go. (Remember K calling Elton Brand's decision a "no-brainer".)

I will say this - whenever I hear a kid make a decision like this based on which option will be "more fun", it's a pretty clear sign of IMmaturity, not the reverse. I recall when Matt Leinart said he was coming back for his senior season at USC, wherein he was taking one class, playing football, and partying for a year - could've told you right then he would be an NFL bust. It's paradoxical for those of us who value education, but sometime school is the "safe" option, not the responsible one.

At age 19, yes.

From my current perspective (3 x 19...plus a few)---No
    More weight to the plus side of college life and the bond with Coach K and teammates
    My thoughts exactly. The NBA and the professional world is always there, but these is only a small window in life to be in college. Top that with, playing for coach K, improving your skills as a teamate/player/compeditor and possibly contending for a national championship. However, would I be thinking that when I was 19???

I have three questions before I decide. I think only the first will have a solid answer before the decision must be made.

1. Am I healthy enough to go through the pre-draft workouts at full speed and then face a full NBA season?

2. If I go, will there be an NBA season to play.

3. Will I have to go to Cleveland or the Clippers?

I'm one who thinks that, if Kyrie is healthy, he has two good choices available. If he isn't fully recovered he would be better served in the long term by returning to Duke.

Among the money, not enough games, I'd say the biggest reason for him to stay is he never got to play UNC (in Cameron at least, but probably ever wearing a Duke uniform).

If I was in his situation, I don't care how much money someone is offering me. If I played at Duke and never got the chance to beat Carolina...I don't know if I could be okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles4Eva View Post
    My thoughts exactly. The NBA and the professional world is always there, but these is only a small window in life to be in college. Top that with, playing for coach K, improving your skills as a teamate/player/compeditor and possibly contending for a national championship. However, would I be thinking that when I was 19???
    At age 19, when most are in an awful hurry to grow up, it would be a strong yes. At age 32, I still say yes (though a bit wistfully).

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    If it were me, I would stay in school. However, I loved being a student, had a lot of fun.
    I loved being a student too, and also had a lot of fun. A lot. I could have graduated early, but chose not to, for that reason. Still, if someone had come to me in my freshman year (or any other year) and offered me millions of dollars to leave, I would have. To be set up for life? No question in my mind.

When I watched the pilot episode of Entourage, and the budding actor turns down a $4 million part because he figured those sorts of deals would always be there, I called the tv character an idiot. There's too much uncertainty in life to turn down a sure thing.

Oops. I voted the wrong way. I meant to vote that I would enter the draft.

Would I go pro? Yes! Makes no sense Kyrie coming back. His stock can't get any higher.

Quote Originally Posted by 91_92_01_10 View Post
    This is a great point, I should have included this in the question. Please imagine yourself as you were at age 19 when you vote.
    At 19 I voted for Jimmy Carter so that can tell you just how intelligent I wasn't back then.

Maybe I am wearing my Duke blue glasses again but I think our team next year will be considered one of the best out there so that's not an argueable motion. The millions he could potentially be making...no so much.

I just worry about this kid becoming a Shaun Livingston. I know it is entirely a different situation. I really like & admire this kid.

To me it is like being able to test drive an Aston Martin but never being able to really own one. We really only got to test drive him for 8 precious games...sigh. I need caffine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDukeCreed View Post
    Would I go pro? Yes! Makes no sense Kyrie coming back. His stock can't get any higher.
    On one hand I can see how an injury would make him feel *cheated* (not in the UNC way) out of a yr of college play. I'd def want to hit the reset over THAT... And then there is the opportunity to play with friends. College is a lot different than having a job and even basketball will FEEL like a job on the road after being banged on by grown men, being the target of Gold Diggers and hangers on... I can see the urge to stay and be a kid and do stupid stuff like jump off a roof into a pool.. but is that a large enuff motivator by itself? I never had to answer that.

But I prolly would have gone for the cash. Cash out and then If I flame out in the league I can pay my own way back thru college and live like Thornton Mellon on campus. So I have nothing but love for him if he goes.

I would be disappointed to only see him in 8 games in a Duke uni.... but the way to spin it to possible recruits is:
    "You want to maximize exposure and draft placement all ya gotta do is DOMINATE at Duke for 8 games... you can be a top 5 pick worst case.."

Not sure what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post

. . .

I just worry about this kid becoming a Shaun Livingston. I know it is entirely a different situation. I really like & admire this kid.

. . .

I think you mean that he should go because of the risk of injury and that he becomes chronically injured and limited like Livingston did. And that's right, I think. The lock out really throws a wrinkle in things, and I think it makes things different for guys like Sullinger or Perry Jones or Barnes when there is likely to be a long-term work stoppage.

For Kyrie though, with the injury he's suffered this year, I wouldn't advise him to risk harming his stock either by people seeing that it's limited him somehow -- no reason to think that's the case, but you don't know -- or by injuring the toe again. That first contract, for a top three pick like it sounds like Kyrie will be, is enough that I don't think you can risk losing that opportunity.

I'd also note that Kyrie may have trouble getting insurance on his future career because of his current injury. At a minimum, it would seem that the premium would be increased so his ability to protect himself were he to choose to come back to avoid the lockout is different than that of Sullinger or Barnes for example, and at a minimum, will be more costly.

You can't risk losing the opportunity to be a pick this high. He should go.

Poll options

You know, I really don't think I can answer this one, because no matter how I try, I can't put myself in Kyrie's place. Accordingly, I'd suggest adding a "don't know" option.

FWIW, I have felt this way ever since Mike Dunleavy went pro. I find that it makes the situation easier -- I respect that it is an intensely personal decision and I am fine with whatever our players decide to do.

At age 19, yes.

From my current perspective (3 x 19...plus a few)---No
    More weight to the plus side of college life and the bond with Coach K and teammates
    I agree with this perspective. Though if I was Kyrie, first I would go spend the day dunking all day, as unfortunately, I have never been able to do that on regulation sized nets without assistance.

I am close to Kyrie's age and if it were me I would come back to Duke till I graduate then go pro. The money will be there no matter what and I am to talented to not get drafted if I stay or not. O and possibly being drafted by the Cavs scares me

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    I am close to Kyrie's age and if it were me I would come back to Duke till I graduate then go pro. The money will be there no matter what and I am to talented to not get drafted if I stay or not. O and possibly being drafted by the Cavs scares me
    If I was Kyrie, yes I would turn pro after just one year of college. I mean he has the opportunity to be at the top of the food chain...gotta go! (High lottery pick...hmmm...it's been fun but...)