Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jay Bilas' Twitter Account

On a lighter note, Jay Bilas has now a twitter account that is a really hilarious read. While not listed as a verified account, he's referred to it recently in a David Glenn radio interview as his own, so I'm 99% sure it's legit.

www.twitter.com/jaybilas

Some Sample Quotes:

"Still 90 seconds for a Texas comeback against Buffs. I've been trying to convince my wife for years that 90 seconds is a really long time."

'Female autograph seeker to Bob Knight: "Excuse me, can I get a picture with you?" Knight: "Of course. You know how to ask."'

'Autograph seeker to Bob Knight: "I don't want to interrupt you..." Knight: "Well, then go away. Come back when you do want to interrupt."'

Oh, and he has a fun background picture too (Bone Surfing!).

It's hilarious, so really check it out. Given everyone's moods right now, it'll be a nice way to lighten up your day.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

MMMMmmmmm. I follow JB for now. Like some of it, dont like a lot of it. I think I'm becoming a curmudgeon.

Although the Digger comments are insightful. As if there's anything going inside Digger's dome to begin with.

Some of it is funny, but man... talk about spam. He puts out a lot of volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke Shane View Post
    Love the picture. That's Battier's block of Joe "All-NBA" Forte, right? I was sitting about 10 rows up from the Duke bench for that game.

It is definitely Bilas' twitter account. All the major writers are following him.

My favorite part about the account is that Bilas has yet to follow anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke Shane View Post
    Billable hours.

Who is he, Hugh Laurie?

There are a lot of funny slices of life mixed in there. I will admit. Normally, I find Bilas to be a real good listen. By real good listen, I of course mean extremely unpleasant and tiresome. The fact that Jay is following zero people on twitter serves his egomania well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Who is he, Hugh Laurie?

There are a lot of funny slices of life mixed in there. I will admit. Normally, I find Bilas to be a real good listen. By real good listen, I of course mean extremely unpleasant and tiresome. The fact that Jay is following zero people on twitter serves his egomania well.
    Bilas said on the Dave Glenn show that he didn't know much about the "following people" thing when he created the account, so I'd give him a little more time. I think his tweets are pretty funny.

Bilas is a sharp guy. I'm sure he knows how to follow people. But having chosen not to do so doesn't make him an egomaniac, nor is it indicative of his supposed egomania. If you choose to follow people, you're on Twitter to read rather than to just write. Bilas is clearly focusing on the latter, and there's nothing wrong with that, particularly when he's dropping gems like those listed above.

Honestly, from the way Bilas projects himself on TV and in the media generally I think there is almost no way this account is legit... Anyone else agree?

It is funny though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey
    Bilas is a sharp guy. I'm sure he knows how to follow people. But having chosen not to do so doesn't make him an egomaniac, nor is it indicative of his supposed egomania. If you choose to follow people, you're on Twitter to read rather than to just write. Bilas is clearly focusing on the latter, and there's nothing wrong with that, particularly when he's dropping gems like those listed above.
    I agree. Jay is very funny and obviously very intelligent. I would never question Bilas' intellect or wit. He's a graduate of Duke, possess a Juris Doctorate and is very well-spoken. Though, my previous comments had very little to do with the twitterers he is following. He could be following only himself and Abraham Lincoln and I really wouldn't care.

Here's my issue with Jay Bilas, and I'm sure many will not agree. I think his on-air persona is often way over-the-top. As an example, I point to Jay's unnecessary belittling of Dick Vitale in reply to Saint Mary's being left out of the NCAA tournament in 2009. Some argue it wasn't a minimizing of Vitale, but rather Bilas' argumentative mannerisms as an attorney pervading into the conversation. Although, what I saw was inessential arrogance on behalf of Bilas. He is the type that absolutely is never wrong, and he wants to tell you about that. It's good for one to be that confident in one's convictions, but there is a fine line between confidence and self-importance.

I don't know, maybe it's just Bilas' exaggerated "I am not a Duke homer" act. Sometimes, it's almost as if Jay goes out of his way to leave the fact that he was a former Duke player open to discussion. I say sometimes because he isn't always this way; there are times when he's very candid about his experiences as a Duke player and a pupil of Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I don't know, maybe it's just Bilas' exaggerated "I am not a Duke homer" act. Sometimes, it's almost as if Jay goes out of his way to leave the fact that he was a former Duke player open to discussion. I say sometimes because he isn't always this way; there are times when he's very candid about his experiences as a Duke player and a pupil of Coach K.
    This is a criticism of Jay that just kind of bugs me.

In my opinion, he only seems to go out of his way because he's a professional and his more objective viewpoint is compared to our very biased viewpoint.

Sure, there may be some times that he leans too hard in his attempt to be unbiased. I'm not sure he does, but it's possible, I guess. But he has job to do. He also has a much broader interaction in the field of college basketball than we do. He has more in interest with many other players, explayers, broadcasters, coaches and so forth than he has with the average Duke fan.

Any way, sorry for the rant. While I don't agree with each and every thing he says, I find Jay Bilas to be one of the most insightful and respectful, while still being entertaining, analysts in college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    This is a criticism of Jay that just kind of bugs me.

In my opinion, he only seems to go out of his way because he's a professional and his more objective viewpoint is compared to our very biased viewpoint.

Sure, there may be some times that he leans too hard in his attempt to be unbiased. I'm not sure he does, but it's possible, I guess. But he has job to do. He also has a much broader interaction in the field of college basketball than we do. He has more in interest with many other players, explayers, broadcasters, coaches and so forth than he has with the average Duke fan.

Any way, sorry for the rant. While I don't agree with each and every thing he says, I find Jay Bilas to be one of the most insightful and respectful, while still being entertaining, analysts in college basketball.
    Couldn't agree more. And I don't think we should be critical of someone who tries to bring a bit of logic and intelligence when talking about college basketball. I for one find it to be rather refreshing given some so many of the folks on TV have so little to offer in terms of insight.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post

... While I don't agree with each and every thing he says, I find Jay Bilas to be one of the most insightful and respectful, while still being entertaining, analysts in college basketball.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. And I don't think we should be critical of someone who tries to bring a bit of logic and intelligence when talking about college basketball. I for one find it to be rather refreshing given some so many of the folks on TV have so little to offer in terms of insight.
    I generally agree with Sand. Though I do think Jay goes a little too far the other way to establish his cred as non-Duke-biased, that is simply the world we live in (sigh). In an environment where fans feel the need to rant at the top of their lungs and shout obscenities (on-line or in the mob/anonimity at games), I have seen such "balanced" guys as G-man, Bilas and ("The Anti-Duke") Billy Packer decried as "Duke homers" on other team fans' sites. So I at least feel for Jay in this perceived requirement of his...

But he is clearly a bright guy, well-spoken and always seems to do his homework. He is insightful and much-aware, more so than 90% of the alternatives out there. And he represents Duke well (or would you rather have a Dick Vitale-type as the most prominent Duke grad on sports TV??!). (Though I do disagree with Royal re whether it is ok to criticize him. I think ALL public commentators - and their biases - are fair game.) My suspicion is that the perception of JB voiced by some in this thread mimics how some derisive opposing fans generally view Duke grads and fans -- clearly bright and well-prepared, but also too aware of it, and (therefore) "arrogant."

I for one like him, his insight, detailed knowledge and sharp (sometimes biting) humor. Now about those low Duke rankings of his...
    Last edited by -bdbd; 02-27-2011 at 05:45 PM.

My comments have nothing to do with Jay being a "snooty" Duke graduate. Even though I attended school elsewhere, I love Duke University and have enjoyed every last second of time I have spent there watching games and attending and working Coach K's camp. Per my previous thoughts, I have the utmost respect for Jay's merits as a Duke alum -- and Blue Devil, obviously -- and his articulate delivery and clever witticisms. He's a very polished guy.

There are times, though, when I think Jay's delivery sounds unwarrantedly self-important or, yes, "arrogant." Like I said, perhaps my viewpoint is just distorted by his propensity at times to act more like he played for Dean Smith than Mike Krzyzewski. Whether they want to, or will, admit it or not, I know there are many followers of Duke that agree with that last point with regard to Jay.

I don't hate the guy. I just don't care for him as an announcer. When I am watching my game, I like more effervescence than jurisprudence.

Funny BYU Honor Code Tweets

Jay is having a field day on twitter with the BYU Honor Code story. Funny stuff:

JayBilas Jay Bilas
    Feel for the BYU kids. Tough rules, but BYU's call. Meanwhile, I'm headed to Starbucks for a triple grande Honor Code violation, no foam.

JayBilas Jay Bilas
    I was recruited by BYU, and didn't know coffee, tea, and nookie were no-no's . Told about disdain for profanity. Then, I played for Coach K.

JayBilas Jay Bilas
    Possible NCAA Violation: BYU providing a chaste and virtuous life to its players interpreted by NCAA rules as an "extra benefit."

JayBilas Jay Bilas
    In the drive-thru line at Chik-fil-A. About to violate the BYU Honor Code with a large sweet tea. Worth the risk.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

On Pardon The Interruption tonight, Jay picked us to lose against UNC - with the home court advantage being the deciding factor. He then surprised me by picking us a Final Four team.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Jay is having a field day on twitter with the BYU Honor Code story. Funny stuff:

JayBilas Jay Bilas
    Feel for the BYU kids. Tough rules, but BYU's call. Meanwhile, I'm headed to Starbucks for a triple grande Honor Code violation, no foam.

JayBilas Jay Bilas
    I was recruited by BYU, and didn't know coffee, tea, and nookie were no-no's . Told about disdain for profanity. Then, I played for Coach K.

JayBilas Jay Bilas
    Possible NCAA Violation: BYU providing a chaste and virtuous life to its players interpreted by NCAA rules as an "extra benefit."

JayBilas Jay Bilas
    In the drive-thru line at Chik-fil-A. About to violate the BYU Honor Code with a large sweet tea. Worth the risk.
    lol. those are great!

I thought that Chic-Fil-A tweet was pretty funny.

Oh and I randomly found this pic of him wearing a DBR hat, is this real?