2011 Duke Spring Football Updates

http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/02/d...ring-practice/ Conner Vernon talks yesterdays first full contact scrimmage. Duke Football has been at it for about a week now. The offense was way ahead of the defense which was missing 5, maybe 6 starters and is learning a new scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/02/d...ring-practice/ Conner Vernon talks yesterdays first full contact scrimmage. Duke Football has been at it for about a week now. The offense was way ahead of the defense which was missing 5, maybe 6 starters and is learning a new scheme.
    I'm wondering how the Dis going to pick up the new scheme, will they be as effective seeing as it took so long last season to get it together? This team has a lot of quality starters returning, and a high powered offense...hopefully the defense can become serviceable and put us through to a bowl game
    1200. DDMF.

I don't really understand the talk of a new scheme...when we went back the the "4-3" last year it was really a 4-2-5...Daniels was generally the 3rd linebacker in those formations which sounds pretty much exactly like whats happening now with Daniels and Blakeney playing playing the hybrid 5th DB/3rd LB like Daniels did at the end of last year.

Can anyone explain to me how this year's scheme is different from that? Or are we saying that since we only started it halfway through the year that we're still learning it?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't really understand the talk of a new scheme...when we went back the the "4-3" last year it was really a 4-2-5...Daniels was generally the 3rd linebacker in those formations which sounds pretty much exactly like whats happening now with Daniels and Blakeney playing playing the hybrid 5th DB/3rd LB like Daniels did at the end of last year.

Can anyone explain to me how this year's scheme is different from that? Or are we saying that since we only started it halfway through the year that we're still learning it?
    I think we have a new defensive coordinator (last one went to Clemson) but there are several here with more precise info.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think we have a new defensive coordinator (last one went to Clemson) but there are several here with more precise info.
    I know that's the case (well, he was the co-coordinator last year, but yeah a new head DC), but all I've heard about the defense is that we're "switching" to a 4-2-5. Since we were already doing that I'm trying to figure out what is changing, if anything. I suppose I may have to wait until the coaches reveal more, but if someone here has more info I would love to hear it.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/02/b...ach-cutcliffe/ Coach Cutcliffe catches you up on spring football to date in this video.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The new defensive coordinator is Jim Knowles who joined the staff last year. Prior to last season, he was the head coach at Cornell (6 years). Before that, he was a member of Coach Cutcliffe's staff at Ole Miss.

The newest staff member on the defensive side is Rick Petri, our new line coach. His picture on the goduke.com web page shows him still in the peas and carrots colors of Miami. At Miami, the defensive unit under Coach Petri was highly ranked in a variety of functions. He spent 6 seasons with Coach Cutliffe at Ole Miss.

Spring Scrimmage will be March 26 at 3P.