Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

VPI

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    Here in the Old Dominion, "VPI" is sometimes used with irony as a commentary on VaTech's rebranding effort. VaTech has in fact been upgrading all the way around, and the implicit put-down, while fun, is weak as a factual matter. VaTech is a strong institution in many specific areas with a history of providing opportunity and a justifiably loyal alumni base.
    They may be re-branding, but when you graduate, you send your uncle one of these:
    vpi.jpg

Congratulations, Nephew Judd!

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    It's funny how things change so fast in the ACC. Two months ago UNC was on the bubble and Duke looked like a force and now UNC is going to win the freakin league and we appear to be limpin into March with 2 scorers and not a viable third option on a nightly basis.

I can't believe Carolina can win the league with a win over us on Saturday, makes me want to vomit.
    Yep- things change very fast. And UNC could lose their point guard tonight on a freak injury. Stuff happens. Duke can only take care of their business. They beat UNC once- they have a shot to do it again. If UNC wins the league-so be it. With the unbalanced schedule - not even sure what it means anymore.

Angry for some reason

Sitting here sulking over a disappointing loss only made worse by seeing Maryland fail miserably in Chapel Hill has me stupidy angry.
    Angry at whom? I dunno. All I know is that I this week will be a tense one for me, just hoping that our boys are as determined, angry, and focused as I hope they are - because if we don't clobber the baby blues I might pull my hair out.

How did I get wrapped so tightly around college basketball? Do I need to get a life - maybe so. But I guess its better to be passionate about something than not at all.

Seeing Kyrie back on the court would go a long way to subdue the anger.. I think.

You guys angry too? Worried? Excited?

Maybe I need to sequester myself until selection sunday.

Thumbs up This is the TRUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    I am firmly in the camp of "next play"

There is no way that K doesn't use the VPI game as teaching and motivational material to direct our final push to a championship this year.

I know a back to back title is rare. But imo, last night's result made it more likely, not less.
    ....and is the way we should all choose to look at this loss. Certainly its disconcerting to see the team go down the way it went down, but again based on history, Duke is going to rebound very well and bounce off of this one! I did say the same thing right after our St. John's loss and look at what we did to Maryland at Maryland! and then to the six other teams in a row.

Duke is poised and they will rise up!

SUPERMAN will keep us going! LET'S GO!

dth.

you wouldn't be in here on this board if you weren't passionate about duke bb....that said, i know how you feel... i get so immersed in the season and the team's every step and misstep.,... for me, it's made worse by my hatred for unc...i'm trying to shake that...i don't watch their games anymore, i don't get the alerts on them, and i try not to go to IC at all..

last year was manna from heaven...i knew that unc would be better this year, even tho i wanted them to fail....that was an unrealistic expectation on MY part...

they are back...we're not quite what everyone was envisioning with Kyrie from the first few games...sigh..

guess we'll have to just wait it out and see what happens...

i love this team tho... GO DUKE...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Did anybody get a good laugh out of the Tech player who they showed in the pregame huddle dancing around like a bench player.

Same guy after the game runs on the court and gives a camera (not ESPN) a face full.

The funny part is the guy never took his shooting shirt off the whole night.

Gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by brianl View Post
    Did anybody get a good laugh out of the Tech player who they showed in the pregame huddle dancing around like a bench player.

Same guy after the game runs on the court and gives a camera (not ESPN) a face full.

The funny part is the guy never took his shooting shirt off the whole night.

Gotta love it.

team win. We talk on here about how seth was important to last year's team. No reason a bench guy on another team can't share in his team's success.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead View Post
    Sitting here sulking over a disappointing loss only made worse by seeing Maryland fail miserably in Chapel Hill has me stupidy angry.
    Angry at whom? I dunno. All I know is that I this week will be a tense one for me, just hoping that our boys are as determined, angry, and focused as I hope they are - because if we don't clobber the baby blues I might pull my hair out.

How did I get wrapped so tightly around college basketball? Do I need to get a life - maybe so. But I guess its better to be passionate about something than not at all.

Seeing Kyrie back on the court would go a long way to subdue the anger.. I think.

I always have different reactions to Duke games (both wins and losses) and like you I have asked myself tough introspective questions. I used to live and die by baseball games, Redskins Games and Duke games. I hardly watch baseball any more (still play softball), I still love my Redskins but I'm not passionate about them like I used to be. With Duke Basketball, however, I seem to be getting more passionate as I get older (I'm 43). I literally have had to tell myself to relax and enjoy the games. Like you, however, for some reason anger is the reaction I have to this loss. It's just pissing me off more than it should. A win over my alma mater (Clemson) and UNC@CH will help ease my anger nicely.

Angry? No. I know that I am one of the luckiest fans in the world as I root for a team that has won it all several times and is often in the mix. If I was a fan of Clemson or Wake or Tech or BC or Miami or many, many others I would not be able to say that. Regardless of how Duke does in the regular season, you are only going to really remember the postseason and Duke could get on a roll- you never know- they have done it before and with less talent.

Well, I don't think you want to miss the upcoming games winding up the regular season and the ACC tournament do you? Enjoy the ride and getting to watch a uniquely talented coach trying to get his team ready to win Championships. This team still has a ways to go but one thing is for certain, this team still hasn't yet played it's best basketball. I'm very much looking foreward to seeing that and just how far they can go. And that will be fun to watch, if you are a Duke Fan.

Anybody else think this loss may actually be a good thing?? I like the idea now that the regular season comes down to the last game against UNC. I think that the pressure is going to be on the heels more so than us for these reasons:

- redemption of last year (although a ration fan base would agree that they have done this already)
    - do not want to get swept by us
    - potential to play into a 2 seed, and maybe even a 1 seed if they win the ACCT... don't laugh, they could have a strong argument depending on how the other conference tournaments shake out...
    - no seniors really to speak of, but could be Henson or Barnes or boths last game at UNC-CH

I am just rambling on, but does this make any sense to anyone else? If not I will go back to work and shut up...

And for the benefit of Kong and the other UNC fans who post here, I am going on the record as saying that I think Roy has done a fine job this year both on the court an off. Although he will never be a favorite of mine, I do not mind giving the devil his due, he did a good job with this team. I do not think he should be coach of the year or anything considering that he has a ton of talent, but since I ragged on him so much last year when he stunk, I thought I would give him a nod for doing a decent job. I really do try to be relevant and somewhat objective.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Anybody else think this loss may actually be a good thing?? I like the idea now that the regular season comes down to the last game against UNC. I think that the pressure is going to be on the heels more so than us for these reasons:

- redemption of last year (although a ration fan base would agree that they have done this already)
    - do not want to get swept by us
    - potential to play into a 2 seed, and maybe even a 1 seed if they win the ACCT... don't laugh, they could have a strong argument depending on how the other conference tournaments shake out...
    - no seniors really to speak of, but could be Henson or Barnes or boths last game at UNC-CH

I am just rambling on, but does this make any sense to anyone else? If not I will go back to work and shut up...

And for the benefit of Kong and the other UNC fans who post here, I am going on the record as saying that I think Roy has done a fine job this year both on the court an off. Although he will never be a favorite of mine, I do not mind giving the devil his due, he did a good job with this team. I do not think he should be coach of the year or anything considering that he has a ton of talent, but since I ragged on him so much last year when he stunk, I thought I would give him a nod for doing a decent job. I really do try to be relevant and somewhat objective.
    Don't we have a game Wednesday night?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Don't we have a game Wednesday night?
    Guess I am just looking a little ahead to the regular season "championship" game. Probably should have waited until Thursday to post...

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Guess I am just looking a little ahead to the regular season "championship" game. Probably should have waited until Thursday to post...
    No biggie. We're probably all thinking a bit ahead of ourselves. Hopefully the team isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    No biggie. We're probably all thinking a bit ahead of ourselves. Hopefully the team isn't.
    I think most of the fans probably are, at least I know that I am (I am being honest here).

I doubt the team is.

The Clemson game could be a trap game with UNC and the "Championship" game being next, but since it is Nolan and Kyle's last game, I doubt that the players will have a problem focusing on the Tigers.

God, I hate to see those two kids go!! Both at one time or the other have been my FAVORITE Duke player, and even now it is hard for me to say which one I have enjoyed watching the most. Guess I'll call it a draw!