Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MBB: VT 64, Duke 60 Post-Game Thread

Post your game thoughts here.

Edit: Please remember - no venting
    Last edited by -jk; 02-26-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: venting reminder
    Bob Green

I am tired of seeing teams get to storm the court against us... this was so winnable that it makes me sick! I just wish we would have gone inside more instead of relying on the three when we didn't need it and failing to even get one off when we did.

Serious question, are we still a No. 1 seed without Kyrie?

I really hope we play better at UNC because I don't want them to have that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I am tired of seeing teams get to storm the court against us... this was so winnable that it makes me sick! I just wish we would have gone inside more instead of relying on the three when we didn't need it and failing to even get one off when we did.

Serious question, are we still a No. 1 seed without Kyrie?
    I think that would depend on how we finish the season out. If we don't win the ACC then no.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    I think that would depend on how we finish the season out. If we don't win the ACC then no.
    probably gotta win the reg. season and the Tournament

I kept telling my daughters during the 2nd half when Duke would have a chance to go up by either 6 or more and we just kept going back and forth with VT. During one sequence I believe Kyle took 4 straight three's and missed all but the first one he took. Then Nolan forced a couple as well and we simply couldn't pull away during that stretch where VT couldn't throw it in the ocean. Bottom line, Kyle and Nolan really took it upon themselves to take just about every shot from about the 10 minute mark on, and they simply didn't look to get anyone else involved. At least that's the way I saw it.

Not at all shocked we lost this one. Discouraged, yes. Shocked, no.

If we don't get Kyrie back (and I mean effective Kyrie) then we are more than vulnerable heading into the NCAA's because we simply don't have enough offensive consistency without him. It's really just that simple. If others want to disagree, feel free. But that's what I see. Now, that doesn't mean we can't win it just like we did last year. Anything can happen. But I think we are ripe for the picking without a healthy Kyrie.

We lost because of seriously bad shot selection down the stretch!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    We lost because of seriously bad shot selection down the stretch!
    ...and an inability to hit the open player, be it Mason or Dawkins, with a timely pass.

I am unable to really put a finger on this one. Just all at sixes and sevens.
    We had them on the ropes...then gave them a hand back into the ring.

Very frustrating. Poor Seth. I know K will help him tough this one out but gee whiz

Just looked at Singler's season numbers and the one thing that sticks out at me is he's going to foul line much less than the past 2 years. His FTA/FGA:

'08-'09: .37
    '09-'10: .38
    '10-'11: .28

Just not getting the freebies as often as in the past.

Not too bad a loss

I'm going to be a Pollyanna and look for some silver linings on a game we choked away.

a) K can use this to our advantage.
    b) More experience in that kind of atmosphere can't hurt us in tourney time.
    c) The Freshmen and Sophmores need more losses to show them to stop taking plays off. (The mental mistakes by our seniors are far more distressing.)
    d) All's well that ends well. If we beat UNC, this loss doesn't hurt us too much. A one seed isn't everything. And we still might be in line for one (but I'd rather have a two seed closer to home than the last one seed that ships out west or somewhere).
    e) Kyle's slump is very similar to Scheyer's last year. The board wanted him to sit or at the very least stop taking shots... but Jon came around in the ACC Tourney. Kyle could too.

Let's see, a crushing loss somewhere in mid-late February. Don't we see this movie pretty much every year? It's just how it goes.

So the synopsis seems to be poor shot selection and game management did us in on this one. Kind of sounds like a team that is operating without a point guard doesn't it?

I still think this a very good team, but for quite a while we have been a team with glaring weaknesses that are going to bite us from time to time as well, especially on the road. Think about the fact that we have no pg and very little offensive threat in the post, yet we are still challenging for an ACC title. Sure I know we have 2 of the best players in the conference but with those glaring holes there a lot of teams that would have tripped up more frequently, kind of like the one last year a few miles down the road. The talking heads will say "hey, Duke didn't have a pg last year either", well... we did have a guy who produced an insane assist/TO ratio and managed the game like a master. We don't have that in our personnel this year.

Again, I still think we have a very good team that has some potential to make a good run. Our perimeter guys are in a position where they have to work hard to get their shots.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    Just looked at Singler's season numbers and the one thing that sticks out at me is he's going to foul line much less than the past 2 years. His FTA/FGA:

'08-'09: .37
    '09-'10: .38
    '10-'11: .28

Just not getting the freebies as often as in the past.
    Kyle has also been settling for 3's and fadeaway jump shots A LOT more this year than taking it inside like he has in the past.

The center of the basketball universe (aka: North Carolina)
    Can we all just pretend that K threw Seth Greenburg a bone with this one so that he could finally make it to the tourney?

Sigh, if only I could believe our K would do such a thing.

Shot selection hurt us late. It almost looked like we lost focus.

If someone was to say that this would be the last L then I will take it...does this game remind you of last year? Anybody anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    If someone was to say that this would be the last L then I will take it...does this game remind you of last year? Anybody anybody.
    we were never out of control down the stretch last year, even in the loss to maryland.... simply missing shots is different from taking terrible shots...
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    The timing is similar, but the games themselves were not very much like each other. In last year's Maryland game, they were throwing up ridiculous shots that really had no business going in. It was one of those games where you had to say to yourself, "geez, if those types of shots are going to go in, then there's really not too much you can do."

This game was absolutely ours for the taking.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Virginia Tech did not win, Duke lost. We blew this game the last four minutes with poor shot selection.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Virginia Tech did not win, Duke lost. We blew this game the last four minutes with poor shot selection.
    I agree with this for the most part with one exception. I think Va. Tech did win this game. Duke choked this one away but has come close before, the other teams just weren't good enough to take advantage. The Hokies are certainly good enough, especially in their own house to take advantage of Duke's mistakes. Poor shot selection from key player, poor, rebounding, and weak defensive effort at times one guy who got wide open looks. Just one of those games next play, but this one hurts.

tired legs or something?

Kyle has been off for most of the new year, i have no idea what it is. His shot selection is poor and he fumbles so many balls that you normally would think he would catch. Both he and Nolan after we got the 6 point lead really never had any type of control on their game. Speaking of the 6 point lead, why not continue to pressure Va. Tech. they were dead tired and their subs were few. Maybe we can learn from this, i know coach K will try and figure out what the problem is. I just don't understand why, when you have the best team you pull the ball out and then jack up a 3, it's beyond me, i guess that's why i'm not a coach.

Really disappointing loss

After beating Temple, Coach said that it was a good win against the kind of opponent we will face in the 2nd round of the tournament. Well if we face a team like VT in the
    2nd round will we have the same result as tonight? I'm off to bed, as I've already said more negative things than I have all year. Go Duke!