Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

MBB: VT 64, Duke 60 Post-Game Thread

Post your game thoughts here.

Edit: Please remember - no venting
    Last edited by -jk; 02-26-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: venting reminder
    Bob Green

I am tired of seeing teams get to storm the court against us... this was so winnable that it makes me sick! I just wish we would have gone inside more instead of relying on the three when we didn't need it and failing to even get one off when we did.

Serious question, are we still a No. 1 seed without Kyrie?

I really hope we play better at UNC because I don't want them to have that moment.

6 assists. enough said

Poor shot selection is our downfall this year.

Which doesn't really apply to the last 23 seconds of this one I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I am tired of seeing teams get to storm the court against us... this was so winnable that it makes me sick! I just wish we would have gone inside more instead of relying on the three when we didn't need it and failing to even get one off when we did.

I think that would depend on how we finish the season out. If we don't win the ACC then no.

hate to say it

but proably the last ten minutes were the worst ten minutes from kyle this year. seth hurt us, but we went souly to a 2 man team in the second half. hope this gets out of our system.

Distressing number of mistakes in the last 5 minutes. So many opportunities before that.

Va Tech is celebrating like they just won some kind of championship. Quite funny.

Singler just doesn't look good this year. Not sure what has happened, but his shooting has fallen off and last year he was even injured.

Bigger question is not if we are a 1 seed, but if we aren't the favorites to win the ACC anymore? Can't be a 1 seed if UNC wins the ACC

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post

Tonight just about lost it for us. Need to win out, and need some help.

2 plays down the stretch cost us the game, IMHO:

kyle taking one of the worst 3 looks i've ever seen with about 30 seconds left and a ton of time left on the shot clock...with the way that VT was shooting free throws, I just don't understand how you can take a contested 3 from 25' with so much time left...boggles my mind

nolan missing the front end of the 1+1

nolan and kyle didn't show the senior leadership down the stretch...it was mason who made the plays...not that nolan and kyle aren't playing hard, I just think they need to realize they can't do it all themselves (taking bad shots, losing teh ball on drives..etc)

good thing we have a few more weeks

oh, and rebounding
    1200. DDMF.

We had plenty of opportunities. Congrats to vt making the dance. Let's learn from this and finish strong.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    I think that would depend on how we finish the season out. If we don't win the ACC then no.
    probably gotta win the reg. season and the Tournament

Kyle had a good game but settled for a few too many long threes. Nolan made a few mistakes late. But those guys did bring it. Mason looked ok too. Seth just needs to shake this one off. He'll get another chance against VT later in his career.

We got OUT HUSTLED on the glass.

We did not execute well blowing the 5 point lead late.

The streak of Ls on the road (other than UNC) ending in a storming of the court continues.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 02-27-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Very tough loss because it was an extremely well played game on both sides until our side fell apart in the final 4 minutes, a time when we are usually rock solid. After not turning it over most of the game, Kyle had a walk and Nolan had a charge that were big plays. The offensive boards we gave up, especially for that late second chance 3, hurt really bad. Delaney pulling that 3 out his rear end at the end was fitting. Everyone will kill Kyle for his volume of shots and shot selection down the stretch, but he's earned the right to take at least a few of those shots. I am sure the coaches had no problem with him taking them, so we should probably accept that even though it was frustrating to watch. Nolan should have had more touches down the stretch, but he had a chance to hit some free throws. They ripped the win out of our hands...tough to take but they did. Props to Mason for his overall play, his late steal dunk, and making one of those two. Keep improving big guy. Miles, I liked your energy tonight, but next time two lay-ups will do, big fella.

I feel something tight around my neck

We pretty much choked this one away. Very very surprising that Singler and Smith kind of vanished in the last 5 minutes, you expect them to step up in the end.

Gave up offensive boards, turned it over, took bad shots and didn't even get up a shot at the end.

The last 8 minutes of the game Va Tech's zone killed us. We kept running the same stinking play without any results, why we didn't make a change who knows

Very disappointing considering we are now tied with UNC for first. I imagine next Saturday night will be for the outright title which seems ridiculous considering how down the league is compared to past years

We gave this one away. So many chances around the 10 minute mark to just put VT away. Bad shot selection and bad execution. We have a low ceiling if Kyle doesn't find his offensive game.

If we are looking for diamonds here, Mason is really playing well. I can't remember the last time I wanted him to shoot more.

Next play - win the next two and you win the ACC and are still in a great position for a #1 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by KShip21 View Post
    . Need to win out, and need some help.
    we don't need any help...2 wins wins us the acc title outright...in fact the clemson game is now irrelevent...the only thing that matters is beating carolina, and we win a share
    1200. DDMF.

The thing that bothers me most about this loss is that they didn't beat us, we did it to ourselves with bad shot selection. We may not have Kyrie, but we have guys who can at least get to the middle of the zone and open things up. We were just using way too much perimeter against a team that isn't that tough on the inside.