Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves 2011

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Here's hoping we can take back-to-back series and come back home ready to vault above .500.
    The Bravos took care of the first part of that wish last night. All in all, going 6-4 on a 10 game west coast trip is pretty good. They have won 5 out of 6 now and the bats seem to be a little more lively the past few days.

Here's hoping the second half of that wish comes true starting tomorrow.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I'm still floored - a day later - that Chipper hit a triple. Must've been like watching Sid Bream try to run the bases...

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I'm still floored - a day later - that Chipper hit a triple. Must've been like watching Sid Bream try to run the bases...
    • Ball hit to deep CF, slightly toward RF
    • The CFer dives and hits the wall, he's down and shaken up
    • The RFer must come a long way to get to the ball, which is just lying on the ground in CF
    • Chipper trots into 3B

Here is video of it - http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/video/...nt_id=14208891

-Jason "Chipper is tied for 2nd in the NL in RBIs... stunning" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Or Brian Mcann...LOL

Make fun of Slow Sid all you want but I will NEVER, EVER forget that slide into home...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Make fun of Slow Sid all you want but I will NEVER, EVER forget that slide into home...
    Cue it in to the 2:00 mark...

--Jason "possibly my favorite sports moment outside of Laettner's shot" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

And it never gets old either.

I could also watch Heyward's miss a few hundred times, too.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I could also watch Heyward's miss a few hundred times, too.
    I hear ya, but I prefer my own team's successful plays to win versus the opponent coming up a shade short.

-Jason "still, I would not turn down an opportunity to watch any of the above many, many times" Evans

the throw

And it came almost exactly six months after Christian's shot ... both moments in 1992.

And BTW, when I think of Barry Bonds, I don't think about the 'roids or his incredible batting numbers (the second best of all time) ... I think of that weak-#$@ throw from left field. Every time some Bonds defender tries to tell me what a great defender he was in left, I answer with two words: Sid Bream.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    And it came almost exactly six months after Christian's shot ... both moments in 1992.

And BTW, when I think of Barry Bonds, I don't think about the 'roids or his incredible batting numbers (the second best of all time) ... I think of that weak-#$@ throw from left field. Every time some Bonds defender tries to tell me what a great defender he was in left, I answer with two words: Sid Bream.
    ESPN did a show on that game recently and interviewed Andy Van Slyke. When Cabrera came to bat, Van Slyke motioned over to Bonds to move in and play more shallow. Bonds shot him the bird and stayed where he was. The rest is history.

Braves with some off-field trouble . . . which is rare for the organization. In addition to McDowell's apparent anti-gay tirade which, assuming everything is as it appears to be, will cost him at least a lengthy suspension and likely his job, Derek Lowe was apparently arrested on a DUI charge last night.

Lowe allegedly was racing on a relatively busy street at 10 pm last night while under the influence of alcohol. Just a monumentally stupid thing to do, and it's fortunate that no one was hurt or killed.

I was there as a 10 yr old ... I remember every detail like it was yesterday.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Lowe allegedly was racing on a relatively busy street at 10 pm last night while under the influence of alcohol. Just a monumentally stupid thing to do, and it's fortunate that no one was hurt or killed.
    For a 37 year old vet to do that is, quite honestly, pretty shocking. I don't see how he doesn't avoid a suspension (In my mind, he SHOULD be suspended). I hope the Braves handle it internally, of course, but I don't think there is anyway he doesn't miss a few starts.

interesting ending to Braves' loss

Anybody else see the end of Friday night's Braves-Cardinal game?

Nothing to brag about for the Braves. Up 3-2, Kimbrel blew the save in the top of the 9th and the Cards took a 5-3 lead off Gearrin in the top of the 11th.

But here's where it gets interesting. Uggla leads off the the bottom of the 11th with a walk. Freeman, batting next, runs the count to 3-2. Motte throws a pitch that appears to be both low and away. Freeman throws his bat away and starts running to first. Uggla begins his trot to second.

Freeman has made at least two strides toward first when homeplate ump Tim McClelland makes a VERY delayed strike call. Now, I could (and will) argue the call -- the ball was low and outside. Still, a missed strike call, no matter how crucial, is nothing to get excited about. It happens all the time.

What did incense me was the delayed call. Because McClelland took so much time to make the call, the Cardinal catcher was able to whip the ball to first and almost get Uggla, who had naturally started to for second. He slid back safely, but it was close.

I know I'm just frustrated because the Braves blew the game, but I still have a problem with McClelland's mechanics. His slow call could have really impacted the game,

Anybody else see that?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Anybody else see the end of Friday night's Braves-Cardinal game?

Nothing to brag about for the Braves. Up 3-2, Kimbrel blew the save in the top of the 9th and the Cards took a 5-3 lead off Gearrin in the top of the 11th.

But here's where it gets interesting. Uggla leads off the the bottom of the 11th with a walk. Freeman, batting next, runs the count to 3-2. Motte throws a pitch that appears to be both low and away. Freeman throws his bat away and starts running to first. Uggla begins his trot to second.

Freeman has made at least two strides toward first when homeplate ump Tim McClelland makes a VERY delayed strike call. Now, I could (and will) argue the call -- the ball was low and outside. Still, a missed strike call, no matter how crucial, is nothing to get excited about. It happens all the time.

What did incense me was the delayed call. Because McClelland took so much time to make the call, the Cardinal catcher was able to whip the ball to first and almost get Uggla, who had naturally started to for second. He slid back safely, but it was close.

I know I'm just frustrated because the Braves blew the game, but I still have a problem with McClelland's mechanics. His slow call could have really impacted the game,

Anybody else see that?
    I didn't see it but I'd be pretty steamed about it from reading your account.

Can't win with no hitting, a mediocre manager and an imploding bullpen. Once the injuries start this season will officially become a grave disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Can't win with no hitting, a mediocre manager and an imploding bullpen. Once the injuries start this season will officially become a grave disappointment.
    I think this is a little premature. Kimbrel is still young. Some bumps along the way are natural. He can certainly be unhittable at times. The rest of the bullpen outside of middle relief is really strong. Plus, we've got depth in the minors here, as well. As for the lineup, if Uggla can get going, I think scoring runs won't be a problem. Mediocre manager . . . well, that may or may not prove to be true. There have definitely been some questionable decisions so far, but we'll see how the team responds to him during the grind in the summer months. Here's hoping that midseason Uggla wakes up tomorrow on May 1st.

Nice to get two wins on the same day. Huddy was spectacular and came pretty close to following up Loriano with a no-no for himself. Also, McOut is going to need a new nickname if he's able to keep this up. He's been very productive at the bottom of the order. I'm not convinced the Braves have completely turned a corner (when Heyward and Uggla heat up, I'll be much happier). However, the Braves are tied for tops in the NL in run differential (+37, same as the Phillies) and actually lead the NL East in runs scored. The Braves definitely have the statistical profile of a team that is better than its record. You have to think the Marlins will come back down to earth a little, even if it does seem they are a formidable team. On the other hand, the NL seems to be pretty mediocre outside of Philadelphia, who has some lineup deficiencies despite the stellar pitching staff. No reason the Braves can't put themselves in a good position within the division and wild card with a few weeks of consistent ball.

Atlanta super-prospect Julio Teheran to make his major league debut tomorrow.

Against the Phillies in their absurd ballpark, so no pressure.