Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Braves 2011

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I wanna know what they got for him? If they even got cokes to fill the soda machine, it is a great deal!

-Jason "Lowe + Kawakami for 3 cans of soda and a Boston Creme doughnut" Evans
    Kawakami's contract is OVAH. Not the Braves' problem anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Kawakami's contract is OVAH. Not the Braves' problem anymore.
    Really doesn't matter. The Braves should still get at least the 3 sodas, with or without Kawakami.

Then, with the $5M they save, do they have any current Braves they need to retain that might become FA or longer contracts offered or expect any to have arbitration raises?

Also looks like the Braves got rid of McOut as they exercised a $1.25M buyout option instead of $10.65M. Not sure I understand that one but that was part of the MLB update in the Raleigh N&O today based on their AP source/story. Ahhhh, see ya'.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Also looks like the Braves got rid of McOut as they exercised a $1.25M buyout option instead of $10.65M. Not sure I understand that one but that was part of the MLB update in the Raleigh N&O today based on their AP source/story. Ahhhh, see ya'.
    What is hard to understand there? Once they brought in Bourne, there was no way they were going to pay McOut $10 mil to be a backup OFer next season.

The team is saving some money, but will need to spend some of it on raises to young players. My question is -- what is the biggest need? Many folks think it is a better hitting SS. I can buy that, though those are in short supply and I believe the Braves have a pretty good SS prospect in the minors who may be ready in a year or two so a long-term SS contract is not a good idea.

Frankly, they probably need to stockpile money for the raises some of the youngsters are going to get in a few years. Kimbrell, Freeman, Venters, Beachy, Heyward... we are gonna owe a bucket in a few seasons.

-Jason "Chipper will come off the book too in a year or two... sad" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What is hard to understand there? Once they brought in Bourne, there was no way they were going to pay McOut $10 mil to be a backup OFer next season.

The team is saving some money, but will need to spend some of it on raises to young players. My question is -- what is the biggest need? Many folks think it is a better hitting SS. I can buy that, though those are in short supply and I believe the Braves have a pretty good SS prospect in the minors who may be ready in a year or two so a long-term SS contract is not a good idea.

Frankly, they probably need to stockpile money for the raises some of the youngsters are going to get in a few years. Kimbrell, Freeman, Venters, Beachy, Heyward... we are gonna owe a bucket in a few seasons.

-Jason "Chipper will come off the book too in a year or two... sad" Evans
    The AP report in our paper made it sound like they exercised a $1.25M option instead of a $10.65M option so you also misunderstood part of my misunderstanding. I'm guessing they declined on renewing/extending his contract for the 10+M and it was not another/different "buyout" option like the 1.25M was . I perfectly/thoroughly/joyfully/gleefully understand why they don't need his .220 or .230 BA AVG again with Bourne on the roster. Confusing abbreviation, too, with "OFer." Is that short for outfielder OR 0-fer as in 0 fer 4 or 0 fer 5?

Wren has made clear that he doesn't see Pastornicky as the starting SS next year, so most likely we need two guys who can play SS. My guess is we go for a stopgap - someone on Twitter suggested Jason Bartlett, and I'd be on board with that. I'm also not totally averse to bringing back AGon but someone has to make sure that Fredi doesn't bat him higher than 7th under any circumstances.

I suspect Jurrjens will be moved. Possibly Prado as well - Rockies may get more aggressive on Martin after losing their incumbent 2B - but if Prado is dealt, acquiring more IF depth becomes an even higher priority. Brooks Conrad is not an option to play 40-50 games at 3B next year if/ when Chipper gets hurt.

I also expect Moylan to be non-tendered, to save a few $ there. Possible they'd then try to re-sign him more cheaply. We've got an abundance of bullpen arms, though.

Saw recently that Hudson had disc surgery and was expected back for spring training. Also saw they signed a bunch of minor league contracts with a host of players I do not know. Any more good prospects? Also saw that some sucker, err, other MLB team signed McOut. Any other updates this fall from folks who follow the Braves a bit more closely/locally than I do?

Not really a lot to report so far. Huddy had back surgery and may or may not be ready for the start of the season. Lots of noise that Jurrjens and/or Prado will be traded but nothing has developed. Alex Gonzalez signed with the Brewers so we're officially out a shortstop - it sounds like they may give Pastornicky a shot at the job in spring training.

Braves non-tendered Peter Moylan and Brooks Conrad. Moylan may be re-signed at a lower salary once the team gets a better idea of how his rehab is progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Braves non-tendered Peter Moylan and Brooks Conrad. Moylan may be re-signed at a lower salary once the team gets a better idea of how his rehab is progressing.
    The staff will also get a chance to determine how much they see Vizcaino playing a major role in the pen. O'Flaherty, Kimbrel, Venters, and Vizcaino are four incredibly talented pitchers . . . all arguably possessing closer or almost closer-caliber stuff and, as it so happens, perfectly balanced between righties and lefties. With Medlen also probably returning to the pen and hopefully returning to his former impressive self, the pen should be a strength for the Braves regardless of whether Moylan returns. Personally, i hope Moylan's healthy and that the $$ work out right to resign him as it would be pretty impressive if Moylan were the worst reliever. At any rate, I expect the pen to be a strength for the Braves again.

Honestly, I think the best offseason move the Braves can make is to get Heyward back to his former self. Hopefully he'll be healthy and ready to go and that this past season was purely the result of injuries perhaps loss of confidence (I really do believe he was rushed back too quickly and mismanaged a little, too, but all that's irrelevant now). Assuming Uggla doesn't have quite the brutal start to the year that he had last year, a healthy and consistent Heyward would completely change the Braves offense. Whoever ends up manning short doesn't have to hit as long as Bourne, Chipper, McCann, Heyward, Freeman, and Uggla carry the offense. Plus, with Chipper retiring soon, the Braves really need their franchise talent to fulfill his potential.

I'm also a little concerned about Hanson's arm troubles. I really hope he's alright, as he could easily claim the mantle of best Braves pitcher next season (he was the Braves best pitcher last year, in my opinion, before his arm troubles and subsequent struggles began, even though Jair had the lower ERA for the first half). If Tommy and Jason can come back healthy and ready to go, there's no reason to believe that the team that looked like a serious challenger to the Phillies and a legitimate contender to win the NL for 2/3 of the season last year can't reemerge.