Greensboro Coliseum hotel suggestions

A friend and I are taking a last-minute trip to Greensboro for a girls' weekend at the women's tournament. I've never been to the Coliseum and am looking for hotel suggestions, preferably something close by and with a bar.

I can't figure out from Google maps if anything is walking distance -- should we plan on driving to the games? Or do hotels run shuttles?

Any information or advice would be much appreciated!

I'm not an expert on the Greensboro hotel accommodations, but I don't think there is anything near the Greensboro Coliseum. You'll have to drive to the game. There are plenty of parking lots on the grounds, plus many of the neighboring stores will rent you a parking spot as well. The closer to the GC you want to park, the more it will cost you, typically $10 to $20.

There are lots of hotels/motels on I-40, especially near the High Point Road exit. That's where the Koury Convention Center/Sheraton Hotel complex is http://www.hotelplanner.com/Hotels/4...vention-Center This is a reasonable area to stay in for going to the GC and there are restaurants and shopping around that exit.

Have fun, root hard, and help us raise another ACCT banner!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

High Point Road

There is nothing decent within walking distance -- a couple of cheapo hotels that might be a long walk up High Point Road.

But the Khoury Center at the High Point Road exit of I-40 that Ozzie mentioned is the best option. Two major bars inside and plenty of restaurant/bars in the vacinity. There's even a shopping mall on the other side of the parking lot.

Just a five-minute drive from the coliseum.

PS Between sessions, walk across the street from the coliseum and try some Stamey's Barbeque ... it's an ACC basketball institution (when Roy was at Kansas and they'd come back to the area, he'd dispatch a manager to get him some Stamey's). More Western NC style, but still pretty good.

Hmmm... Stamey's. That or some Looney chips, and I am a happy man.

I miss Greensboro a bit sometimes.

Best hotels with shuttle possibilities (10 minutes from Coliseum) would be Proximity and O'Henry. Great restaurants and shopping within walking distance (especially the O'Henry). Greensboro does a phenomenal job hosting the ACC Women's Tournament. You will have a great time. Go Duke!!

There are several hotels off of High Point Road on Veasley Street (near Smokey Bones and Darryl's). They have a Best Western, Drury Inn, Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, Ramada and Residence Inn. They are about a mile from the 4 Seasons Town Centre and the Koury Convention Center, and about 5 miles from the Coliseum.

I have lived in Greensboro my entire life so I may be of help if you have any other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The closer to the GC you want to park, the more it will cost you, typically $10 to $20.
    It's quite possible to park for free on the street in the neighborhood to the east of the coliseum, on the other side of Chapman Street. Tons of people do it for the men's tournament. My most recent experience was last year.

Your food options will be down High Point Road.

I may be too late to recommend a hotel, but I've never had a problem getting decently priced lodging during the men's tournament. I believe this is because a large portion of the fanbase lives in the area and doesn't need a place to stay. Also, teams lose during the tournament and fans go home. Best options will be to the west of town. It is definitely easier to get to and from the Coliseum from the west, via Patterson Street and/or Wendover/Holden/Spring Garden streets.

Thank you all so much for your advice. I appreciate you taking the time! I'm so excited for next weekend, and think we're going to have a great time at the tournament; hopefully it will be capped by confetti falling on the good guys.

I wish I could try Stamey's, but I'm vegetarian. However, as a good eastern NC girl, my ethics wouldn't allow me to eat western NC bbq and enjoy it, even if I wasn't veg now...