Chiding Duke with proper grammar

So I'm flipping through the Texas Manual of Usage & Style yesterday to check a rule on hyphen use with compound modifiers, and I stumble across this example:

"the Blue Devil-hating spectators..."
    I just wish they'd completed the sentence.

"The Blue Devil-hating spectators watched in vain as J.J. Redick torched the Longhorns for 41 points in Madison Square Garden."

i remember being nervous about the that game when it was coming up...wow...what a performance...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i remember being nervous about the that game when it was coming up...wow...what a performance...
    Same here.

Perhaps the sentence was: ""The Blue Devil-hating spectators from Texas suffered yet again, as it dawned on them that Rick Barnes could not beat Duke when he was at Clemson either."

Crap, it was at the Meadowlands, not MSG. #rebuttalfail

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Crap, it was at the Meadowlands, not MSG. #rebuttalfail
    Ah, well than it is not as impressive obviously. "The Meadowlands is a home away from home."

;>)

Yea I was at that game & it was most definately in the Meadowlands.

So I'm flipping through the Texas Manual of Usage & Style yesterday to check a rule on hyphen use with compound modifiers, and I stumble across this example:

I just wish they'd completed the sentence.

"The Blue Devil-hating spectators watched in vain as J.J. Redick torched the Longhorns for 41 points in Madison Square Garden."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Same here.

Perhaps the sentence was: ""The Blue Devil-hating spectators from Texas suffered yet again, as it dawned on them that Rick Barnes could not beat Duke when he was at Clemson either."
    Late in the second half, my group of ~10 fraternity brothers and I serenaded Texas coach Rick Barnes with the cheer
    "Just like Clem-son! Clap clap, clap clap clap." The fans around us picked up on it and Barnes did turn and give us a very dirty look when he heard it! Priceless!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

There's just something about Barnses, eh Ozzie?

There's just something about Barnses, eh Ozzie?
    I look forward toe us celebrating "a return" there soon!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Very funny stuff I love when Duke hate shows up in unexpected places... like when the dad and guy bonded over hating Duke on Glee? Good stuff!

(And yeah, I was at that game... it was AWESOME. J.J. was ridiculous.)

The game is also memorable for two cool facts. First, it was in this game (as the highlight clip shows) that JJ broke 2,000 for is career. Second, it featured both the debut and retirement of UT's alternate black uniforms. That was the first and only time (as far as I'm aware) that Texas wore the black unis. It was supposed to be some big hype thing, and after the beat-down UT never brought them back!

One of my favorite moments of that game was shortly before halftime when JJ came around a screen and got open. His teammate passes to him and before the ball even reaches him you can see Barnes in the background slamming his clipboard into the ground. JJ doesn't even have the ball yet but Barnes already knows what's coming. Sure enough he catches, fires, and drains it.

Lost my focus when the word "style" was used in any reference to those tea sippers. But as usual Ozzie made me smile anyway. He's toe-rrific.

I remember the DBR headline the day after the game- "KABOOM"

Almost no one picked Duke to win, and then UT was just decimated. It was great.

As for Barnes, long story short but my wife went to high school with him, and our youngest daughter became a freshman at UT last fall. We called Coach Barnes when we took our daughter to Austin, and he graciously met us and gave us a long and private tour of the UT basketball facility, introduced us to some of the team, and spent a fair bit of time recounting his time at Clemson and the famous dust up with Dean Smith. He also has been very kind to our daughter through the year.

All in all, a generous and classy guy. UT is now my second favorite team.

grammar smack? nice! how about scheduling smack? too chicken to schedule a game in the state of texas? i'm sure we'd be more than happy to either play home and home or in houston or dallas. oh yeah, duke won't do it.

how's that JJ defense working out in the nba lately?

Quote Originally Posted by texas View Post
    grammar smack? nice! how about scheduling smack? too chicken to schedule a game in the state of texas? i'm sure we'd be more than happy to either play home and home or in houston or dallas. oh yeah, duke won't do it.

Well, the last time we played in Texas we won.
    I feel we have good chance to win a couple at that venue again this year
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by texas View Post

Oh, snap! A Longhorn came out to play!

Duke would come to Texas if the Longhorns would accept Cutcliffe's challenge to take on the Blue Devils in Wallace Wade. But ever since Mack Brown fled Chapel Hill to avoid the sleeping giant of Duke football, K has refused to play in Austin.

Oh, snap! A Longhorn came out to play!

Duke would come to Texas if the Longhorns would accept Cutcliffe's challenge to take on the Blue Devils in Wallace Wade. But ever since Mack Brown fled Chapel Hill to avoid the sleeping giant of Duke football, K has refused to play in Austin.

well played, sir

traditionally we have two sports in texas: football and spring football. spring practice started yesterday, we have a few things to fix after going 5-7 last year. too bad duke didn't get their licks in while we were down!

i've been on this board for a few reasons. i've been watching duke for a long time, my best friend from high school graduated from duke and so did my sister. i admire coach K and think he's the best in the biz. i was at both duke vs texas games in the NYC area and they were quite painful. to add to the misery, i'm an orlando magic fan so now i have to continue to watch JJ, for better or for worse. my dad said he saw Duhon driving around on I-4 the other day in a pretty sweet yellow lambo.

okay, back to the grammar smack . . .

I drove up from DC for that game and was painted as the "U" in a group of Dukies. It was one of the most satisfying games I've attended because the Texas fans in our section were unbelievably obnoxious, and none stayed past 10 minutes in the second half. JJ shut them up pretty comprehensively without any of us having to say a word.