Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ACC #1 seed

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    "decent chance" ... about 5% chance using current kenpom numbers (and counting Clemson as a sure Duke win) ... stranger things have happened ... glad the 95% probability is on our side ...
    I don't see the 95% thing. Granted I am posting after VT but say KenPom says 70% now? I dont' know what it is now but I see it is 50/50 ... Assuming UNC beats Md - they are leading at halftm... FSU will be some tough but much easier wout Singleton.. Then its a one game deal at UNC.

If UNC beats MD, and if UNC beats FSU, and if Duke beats Clemson, then it is 50/50 at that point (assuming you give UNC a 50% shot at beating Duke, and Duke a 50% shot at beating UNC).

The 5% number came from using kenpom's numbers, and, most importantly, *before* Duke lost to VT, and *before* assuming UNC would beat MD and @ FSU.

I used kenpom's numbers and assumed a win over Clemson and got the 95% (again, before VT, before it looks like UNC will beat MD -- those hadn't happened yet). Sagegrouse simply pegged every game at 50/50 and the math was still 84% Duke would garner at least a tie for the regular season title.

Hmm, if UNC hangs on against MD here (and there is no chance that they blow this lead... nope, none whatsoever), then it appears there are no scenarios where the Duke/UNC game won't be for the #1 seed in the ACC tourney.

Because, no matter who finishes 3rd in the ACC (FSU or VT), UNC will win the tiebreaker against Duke since we are 0-1 against either 3rd place team.

And the Clemson game at Cameron doesn't even matter to the ACC standings (it matters to Duke for many OTHERS reasons, of course!) since a win at UNC would mean we sweep which would mean we win the tiebreaker regardless.

So, yeah. It's okay, though. I wasn't really planning on our boys losing in Chapel Hill anyway. It was going to be a must-win regardless.

Beat Clemson, beat UNC. That's the plan!