Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coolest. Wife. Ever.

She is taking me to see the Police concert at Wrigley Field.

Anyone been to one of the shows yet that can offer a review? I'm pretty psyched.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post

Anyone been to one of the shows yet that can offer a review? I'm pretty psyched.
    Disagree. This is the coolest wife ever:

http://tinyurl.com/2rbkwo

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post

Dare I even ask if that's something we can watch at work?

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Dare I even ask if that's something we can watch at work?
    I had the same thought, and I've been afraid to click it.

Haha, it is safe and although cavlaw's wife is pretty cool, I'm going to have to give tombrady the nod here.

OK, scaredy-cats. I checked. It's safe. Now, go.

I saw the Police live earlier this month at Oakland.

My take is they're still quite good. It wasn't the greatest live show that I've ever seen (U2's ZooTV show still holds that honor for me), but the Police were very solid. There've been a lot of gripes on the internet about how the songs lack energy, but I didn't find that to be true -- I thought it was more that the Police were making a real conscious effort to return to their reggae roots; this is most evident in their choice of opening song (the immortal Marley). The song "Don't Stand So Close to Me", for example, is almost completely restructured around a reggae beat, which gives the song an intriguing flavor -- even if it doesn't rock out like the Zenyatta Mondatta version.

And I'm glad to say that the band still has pretty mighty chops. Sure, Andy Summers isn't as, shall we say, ambulatory at his age as he once was, but his solo during "When the World is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around" is as good as I've heard from him. Copeland still plays with a manic driving style, even if he didn't do a lot of the hi-hat fills that I'd come to expect from him, and Sting is in fine shape. Mostly, I was impressed with the palette of sounds the three of them got out of their instruments. Granted there were some hiccups ("Spirits in the Material World" sounded a little disjointed without some backing from keyboards and/or backing vocals), but there were nice instrumental jams where the three of them let go for a bit.

Seeing the Police live fulfills a childhood dream of sorts, since I never got to see them live before now, so take from the above what you will. Still, I found the concert to be definitely worth the price. Avoid the souvenirs though -- $45 for a T-shirt should be outside the bounds of law.

That link = funny

Ummm, I have the exact opposite opinion?

I saw them at Bonnaroo... I'm not sure that you want this review though...
    I thought they were terrible. They were out of sync, and kind of seemed to be going through the motions. It is possible that it was just a bad show on a better tour, or that the crowd wasn't giving them the energy they needed though (apparently the set they played at Bonnaroo was about 30 minutes shorter than what they have been playing on this tour... they used only about 1.5 hours of their 2.5 allotted) They were so bad that my friends and I went and watched a guy blow glass rather than listen to them. Also, the Police were upstaged by the Flaming Lips' sound check (They played War Pigs, and it ROCKED).

I suppose I should also say that I despise the song Roxanne, and as expected, they played it.
    Last edited by xenic; 06-26-2007 at 02:30 PM.

not to kick a good wife while she's down but my brother's review of the bonnaroo gig was exactly the same as above. it should be a fun event even if they aren't at the top of their game.

About the one-slut-per-year thing

While I think this is horrible for the health of a marriage, I do think it is fertile ground for comedy.

Personally, I could see it as more a curse than a blessing. Think about it-- you get one "free boink" per year. But how do you pick that "boink?"

What if a reasonably hot chick approaches you in January and then you find out in February that some supermodel is lusting after you? What if you are into the kinky stuff and your one shot per year happens to be a lady who prefers conventional action in the sack? I mean, the process of figuring out when and who to choose as your one freebie per year would be torture!!

-Jason "you want torture, try to comb Kirilenko's hair!" Evans

Other way around?

It's only "cool" if turnabout is fair play. Does he offer the same waiver for her, and if not, why not?

What about those of you who think it's cool? Would you think it cool if your spouse/partner/significant other wanted this deal?

Personally, I give Cavlaw's wife a much bigger thumbs-up. Way to know your husband well enough to surprise him with such an excellent, clearly personally meaningful gift.

I had a Blast

We saw them at Dodger Stadium the other night. The venue is lousy for a rock show, so you may experience the same problems at a place like Wrigley. Lousy sound system and very small video screens. So I hope you have good seats.

But the band was great. Took a little while to warm up but then they really hit their stride. Excellent energy, played just about everything you'd want to hear, only were really off on one song (Don't Stand So Close To Me) and Sting hit the high notes on most, though not all, the songs.

But listen, they're in their 50's now, not their 20's or 30's, and the music is 25 yrs old, so it has more of a pop feel than when they first broke out, of course. Take it for what it is and you'll have a great time. There was plenty of singing along and lots of smiling and laughing in the crowd. Enjoy.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I find the Kirilenko Exception amusing. As a wife myself I asked my husband if he would like such a deal. He got mad. He wanted to know why I would even think to allow such a thing. To be clear, I didn't say I would allow it, I just wanted to know. (I filed the exchange in the 'you just can't win' folder.)

For dear hubby's birthday every year, I buy him a bottle of single malt scotch. I try not to repeat myself but I know that Talisker is his favorite so every few years I return to that. For Christmas it's usually scotch and cigars, sometimes it's bourbon or cognac, just to add some variety.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Take it for what it is and you'll have a great time. There was plenty of singing along and lots of smiling and laughing in the crowd. Enjoy.
    I think this is good advice, also, I suspect that the crowd vibe at a show where The Police are the reason for everyone being there will be much better and make it a more fun experience than their set at Bonnaroo.

Wasn't this the fodder for an entire season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm"?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

There's also the laminated list. That's another way to go.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    There's also the laminated list. That's another way to go.
    Throaty's suggestion is a Wikipedia-approved meme.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I find the Kirilenko Exception amusing. As a wife myself I asked my husband if he would like such a deal. He got mad. He wanted to know why I would even think to allow such a thing. To be clear, I didn't say I would allow it, I just wanted to know. (I filed the exchange in the 'you just can't win' folder.)

For dear hubby's birthday every year, I buy him a bottle of single malt scotch. I try not to repeat myself but I know that Talisker is his favorite so every few years I return to that. For Christmas it's usually scotch and cigars, sometimes it's bourbon or cognac, just to add some variety.
    Isn't this similar to the eternal question, "Do I look fat?"