Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    My wife, based on her love of John Waters, said "I bet the guy who plays Dennis Mello is actually from Baltimore." (he is, and is also a retired Baltimore cop).

I hadn't seen the wire when this thread first appeared, so didn't read much of it. But I do credit (blame?) the Wire and this thread for my now obsession with figuring out what actors playing Americans actually are not when watching a TV show. Dominic West's accent was just so easy to hear. I couldn't tell I could hear the English in Stringer Bell's or not, as I had already seen Idris Elba in "Luther". [ie, I heard the English, but don't know if that's because I already knew Elba]

The one in the Wire that totally snookered me: Aidan Gillen (Tommy Carcetti). I had no idea he is Irish.
    Mello is the real Jay Landsman, too.

West's accent is sort of all over the place. Sometimes he's on his American accent and sometimes it's sort of in the wind.

We spend two classes on language in The Wire.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Mello is the real Jay Landsman, too.
    Wow - I didn't put two and two together. That's pretty cool.

Carolina Academic Press has a law textbook based on The Wire

Rather OT, and I know I've said this before, but any time I can catch a few seconds of Idris Elba I'm a happy camper.
    I am crazy for that guy. English accent, Bmore accent, either way, whhhhooooeeeee.

In case your class needs a little levity:

"The Wire" gets mentioned around 2:45. Stick around to 4:30 for a Duke basketball reference.

Thanx for the rec. Hadn't seen it yet. I will add it to my small but growing library of Wire literature.

This week, I had lunch with my favorite student in the remix of the class. (Officially, I don't have favorites at all, but she asked me to come to talk to her inner city English class about language variation, and these kids really warmed to the really important material about language variation). At earliest, UMSL Wire Class 3.0 would occur in Spring 2015. 2016 is probably more likely. But I confided to her that I think I haven't done as good a job this time as I did the first in Spring 2012. She rejected that assessment, but I still don't know.

I just feel like if we do this a third time, I need to step my game up. It went SO WELL the first time, but even though I've added a lot more critical essays (since published), I'm just a step behind. Seminar classes and the chemistry therein? I don't know. We only have one class left. It's their gradskool presentations.

All this babbling is another way to say, I am extraordinarily lucky to be allowed to do this at all. My hope is to one day write a book about language in The Wire.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

At earliest, UMSL Wire Class 3.0 would occur in Spring 2015. 2016 is probably more likely.
    WireFlire2017.jpg

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Congrats!

-jk

I recalled we have a The Wire expert on these boards. I'm re-watching right now and in Season 2, Episode 11 Omar and Stringer are having a parlay and in the background one of the 'muscle' is wearing a 21 Duke jersey. Season came out in 2003, probably filmed 2002. So, maybe a Duhon jersey? Langdon jersey? Neither have a connection to Baltimore that I'm aware of...definitely not a Bilas jersey! Any ideas?

And, are you still teaching the class? How was it received?