Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    The talking heads (AKA ESPN) seem to be hyping up Jimmer because he racks up points and has a funny name. But if you browse the web you will find a lot of support for Nolan Smith from the writers. I know Fox Sports and NBC Sports have Nolan atop their lists. I know its still a long shot and wishful thinking but if Nolan had an incredible game tonight and they won, I suspect those with a vote would give it a second thought and should. I never really understood why all the Awards couldn't wait until after the NCAA Tournament.

Actually, in this instance, I'm kind of glad they aren't. GHill got annoyed at all the Robinson hype, and proceeded to beat Robinson and come one or two plays away from a championship. Since I think Jimmer will probably get it, I think Nolan will come into the tournament thinking he needs to prove he deserved it. Look for him to carry Duke into the Final Four while Jimmer and BYU (sans their recently departed big man) are dispatched in the second round.

Nolan Smith - Yahoo Sports NPOY

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...jn-allam030711

Just saw this a few min ago. Congrats to Nolan on at least one NPOY award! Here's to many more.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...jn-allam030711

Just saw this a few min ago. Congrats to Nolan on at least one NPOY award! Here's to many more.
    I read that this morning, early! But glad you posted it! I read Yahoo Sports, before goduke, or any Duke forum.

Congrats to NOLAN SMITH!! I have been speaking Nolan , NPOY for 2 months! He is so deserving! And I hope the other awards will come his way, also! LETS GO DUKE!

Nolan POY & 2000 points Race...

I know there has been a lot of discussion about Nolan and POY... personally, i feel Nolan's a more exceptional player in more facets of the game in a more competitive and talented conference vs. Jimmer, but many of the posters here are correct, the average voter seems to be more swayed by PPG and a catchy name/handle.

But on another subject, i recently came to my attention that Nolan has an outside chance of reaching a real milestone in Duke program history, and that's 2000 points for his career. Who could have imagined after Nolan's freshman and sophomore years averaging under 10 PPG that he would be right at the doorstep of this achievement. i ran across a blog this weekend tracking Nolan's path to 2000... interesting stuff. i wish Nolan luck.

http://ndotsmitty2000countdown.posterous.com/

JB

Rollin' with Nolan's 2nd NPOY award...

Fox Sports has named Nolan it's National Player of the Year as well...

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebask...-honors-030711

It's great to see Nolan getting some NPOY love!

Help Nolan out with the Cousy Award

Everyone vote Nolan for college basketball's top PG of 2011

http://www.cousyaward.com/vote.php

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    I read that this morning, early! But glad you posted it! I read Yahoo Sports, before goduke, or any Duke forum.

Congrats to NOLAN SMITH!! I have been speaking Nolan , NPOY for 2 months! He is so deserving! And I hope the other awards will come his way, also! LETS GO DUKE!
    That's really interesting. I've always heard of criteria for jersey retirement (under K) to be some kind of Duke record, national record, or NPOY award (incl. NDPOY). I'm not sure Yahoo Sports' NPOY would be so well regarded as to qualify in Coach K's book, but it does add to the suspense.

OTOH aren't jersey retirements for Coach K's players done on their last home game? If so maybe it's already known that it won't happen. If not... have some occurred after the ACCT and NCAAT, such as at the BB banquet?

Many of these writers for Fox Sports, Yahoo, and elsewhere have votes for NPOY. Do you think Smith has a chance now?

FWIW, I distinctly remember JJ and Shelden's being retired long after their senior game...February 4, 2007, according to Wikipedia. (JJ was drafted in June 2006, for comparison)

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    That's really interesting. I've always heard of criteria for jersey retirement (under K) to be some kind of Duke record, national record, or NPOY award (incl. NDPOY). I'm not sure Yahoo Sports' NPOY would be so well regarded as to qualify in Coach K's book, but it does add to the suspense.

OTOH aren't jersey retirements for Coach K's players done on their last home game? If so maybe it's already known that it won't happen. If not... have some occurred after the ACCT and NCAAT, such as at the BB banquet?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus12888 View Post
    FWIW, I distinctly remember JJ and Shelden's being retired long after their senior game...February 4, 2007, according to Wikipedia. (JJ was drafted in June 2006, for comparison)
    After Battier, K decided to retire jerseys the following year. The rationale was that retiring a jersey during a regular season game put a ridiculous amount of pressure on the team to "win one" for the guy getting his jersey retired.

Not sure if Kyle or Nolan should qualify (reasonable arguments for both scenarios), but wouldn't be surprised to see one or both hang from the rafters before the end of next year.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by JoshBellDC View Post
    I know there has been a lot of discussion about Nolan and POY... personally, i feel Nolan's a more exceptional player in more facets of the game in a more competitive and talented conference vs. Jimmer, but many of the posters here are correct, the average voter seems to be more swayed by PPG and a catchy name/handle.

But on another subject, i recently came to my attention that Nolan has an outside chance of reaching a real milestone in Duke program history, and that's 2000 points for his career. Who could have imagined after Nolan's freshman and sophomore years averaging under 10 PPG that he would be right at the doorstep of this achievement. i ran across a blog this weekend tracking Nolan's path to 2000... interesting stuff. i wish Nolan luck.

http://ndotsmitty2000countdown.posterous.com/

JB
    I've been updating a thread here on that topic. I normally wouldn't care about promoting my own thread, but that blog you linked seems to be wrong factually. Whoever is updating it assumes that Duke would play 10 more games if we went all the way and not 9. I just can't stand factual errors.

As for being on topic for this particular thread, I'm starting to get the feeling that while Jimmer will still win most of the awards, I think that Nolan might get one or two of them a la JJ in '05.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    As for being on topic for this particular thread, I'm starting to get the feeling that while Jimmer will still win most of the awards, I think that Nolan might get one or two of them a la JJ in '05.
    Scroll up. He has already won three awards.

1. Foxsports NPOY
    2. Yahoosports NPOY
    3. HK Dukie NPOY

Congrats to Nolan for winning these NPOY awards! IMHO, this pretty much seals the deal on his having his jersey retired, doesn't it! Now, on to the much more important business of winning the ACC Tournament title and NCAA Tournament title!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Congrats to Nolan for winning these NPOY awards! IMHO, this pretty much seals the deal on his having his jersey retired, doesn't it! Now, on to the much more important business of winning the ACC Tournament title and NCAA Tournament title!
    I'm not so sure because these are websites and not the major awards such as the Wooden or Naismith trophies. Hopefully one group of these voters will not fall for the chucker Jimmer who just racks up points.

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dukie View Post
    Scroll up. He has already won three awards.

1. Foxsports NPOY
    2. Yahoosports NPOY
    3. HK Dukie NPOY

I think he meant more nationally recognized honors. I'm not sure that website honors like Foxsports and Yahoo are recognized. I'm not sure what the list of "recognized" honors is, but those seem pretty low on the totem pole to me.

Regardless, it's definitely nice that he's getting some national honors. The kid has been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think he meant more nationally recognized honors. I'm not sure that website honors like Foxsports and Yahoo are recognized. I'm not sure what the list of "recognized" honors is, but those seem pretty low on the totem pole to me.

Regardless, it's definitely nice that he's getting some national honors. The kid has been amazing.
    That's definitely what I meant. For me, if Duke recognizes it and would renovate the museum to slot Nolan in next to JJ, it counts. Otherwise, I don't really care about it. I think that the website awards are cool, but they are essentially the whims of a few writers.

Like almost everything in life, Wikipedia has a good list. I can't say for sure that it is complete, but they list the Wooden, Naismith, NABC, USBWA (Oscar Robertson Trophy), Rupp, AP, and Sporting News awards. They also list the now-defunct Helms and UPI awards. I know Duke recognizes those awards, though I'm not sure if there are any others.

These are the six recognized NPOY awards: Wooden, Naismith, NABC, USBWA (Oscar Robertson Trophy), Rupp, AP.

Sporting News and SI awards are not included.

I would like to point out, again, though that Kyle is the 2010 Sporting News National College Athlete of the Year...for whatever that is worth.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    These are the six recognized NPOY awards: Wooden, Naismith, NABC, USBWA (Oscar Robertson Trophy), Rupp, AP.

Sporting News and SI awards are not included.

I would like to point out, again, though that Kyle is the 2010 Sporting News National College Athlete of the Year...for whatever that is worth.
    Duke definitely recognizes the Sporting News award. If you look closely at the NPOY display, the Sporting News is listed for Elton, Shane, JWill, and JJ. I'm not sure how you tell whether it's recognized nationally or not, but Duke definitely recognizes it, and it is presented equally on Wikipedia (not that Wikipedia is any kind of authority, but people there are generally pretty strict about what deserves equal recognition). The award that Kyle won is different from the NPOY award in that it is an end of the calendar year award, and therefore was heavily influenced by tournament play. The NPOY award was given to Evan Turner last year.