Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Yeah, this is more or less over. I wouldn't get my hopes up about a split of the awards either - Redick swept the 3 major awards in 2006 and Hansbrough swept them in 2008, despite those years being two of the closest NPOY races in recent history (with Adam Morrison and Michael Beasley).

Still a great season and a lock for First Team All-America, though.

What he said ...

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    Smith is a terrific player who is having an outstanding senior year. Winning or not winning the NPOY does not take from that. I doubt that there were any on this board who foresaw his growth as a player when he was a freshman. He has ACC POY sewn up and he has several opportunities to shine in the next five weeks.

Prior to yesterday, I had seen BYU play twice in the last two years. As someone who is a Duke fan and wants to see Smith win one of the six(?) NPOY awards, I came away from yesterday's game between SDSU and BYU very impressed with Fredette. It is very clear that he is the engine that makes BYU go and SDSU played special defenses against him, cheating off other players to double team him and then bringing a third player when he drove. In the first half the defensive help was applied close to the 3-point line and he hit 2-3 very long jumpers before help arrived. In the second half they changed up be putting a 6-8 player on him and bringing help much earlier outside the 3-point line. This was very effective in limiting his points but he was able to get the ball to his teammates for shots.

My conclusion is that he is an outstanding offensive player who is also deserving of NPOY awards. Yesterday, he had an off shooting day against a good defensive team that devoted a lot of their energy to stopping him. Like Smith, he is one of those rare players who is not only a terrific "shooter" but is a "scorer" and an excellent passer. His senior year is comparable to Redick's senior year although he has the ball in his hands much more, is a better passer and may be the subject of more strange defenses.

gw67
    One play summed it up for me ...

VaTech exerting tremendous energy to stopping ndotsmitty. He gets the ball sometime in the early 2nd half (IIRC) and off the dribble buries a step back 18 footer with the defender playing great defense on the play. I immediately thought two things:

How many Duke players in my lifetime could have made that play? (Answer: precious few)

Is Nolan Smith an NBA caliber player? Yes.

I also am now firmly in the camp that he deserves to have his jersey retired. It is not like I did not know he was a great player before. It was just a light bulb going off in my head about the chasm that exists between his ability and most all who have come before him. My $.02

I still am surprised he was not able to will a victory out last night.

One of the big advantages Nolan has in the NPOY race is the game's biggest stage on Saturday night. If he comes through with a monster game in Chapel Hill with everyone watching (certainly a possibility with Carolina's suspect perimeter defenders) it could go a long way with the various voters. Go get 'em Nolan!

It shouldn't be Jimmer

Since I live in an area of the country that has access to “the mountain network”, I have seen Jimmer play 7 or so times this year. There is no doubt that he is a gifted offensive player. He may be the best pure scorer in the NCAA since Kevin Durant. However, Jimmer may be the worst defensive player in the nation as well. He doesn’t even really try on the defensive end. While in college, JJ was limited on the defensive end, but at least he gave it his full effort. Jimmer saves all his effort for the offensive side of the ball.

If basketball was made up of offensive and defensive players, Jimmer would be the deserving NPOY. However, players must play both ends of the court. This is why I think Nolan is more deserving. I wonder how many points Nolan would score if he just stood around on defensive and preserved energy? Nolan is an above average defender.

I believe that east coast bias is actually hurting Nolan. Very few people have seen Jimmer play an entire game. They see the 30-foot three-pointers on Sportscenter and the gaudy numbers in the box score, but they don’t see the actual game. They don’t see Jimmer stop as soon as the player in which he is assigned to guard blows right past him. They don’t see him “leak out” for a fast break attempt the second his player shoots. Opposing players often have wide open shots because Jimmer won’t run through a screen. It’s embarrassing.

For my money, I take Nolan every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Since I live in an area of the country that has access to “the mountain network”, I have seen Jimmer play 7 or so times this year. There is no doubt that he is a gifted offensive player. He may be the best pure scorer in the NCAA since Kevin Durant. However, Jimmer may be the worst defensive player in the nation as well. He doesn’t even really try on the defensive end. While in college, JJ was limited on the defensive end, but at least he gave it his full effort. Jimmer saves all his effort for the offensive side of the ball.

If basketball was made up of offensive and defensive players, Jimmer would be the deserving NPOY. However, players must play both ends of the court. This is why I think Nolan is more deserving. I wonder how many points Nolan would score if he just stood around on defensive and preserved energy? Nolan is an above average defender.

I believe that east coast bias is actually hurting Nolan. Very few people have seen Jimmer play an entire game. They see the 30-foot three-pointers on Sportscenter and the gaudy numbers in the box score, but they don’t see the actual game. They don’t see Jimmer stop as soon as the player in which he is assigned to guard blows right past him. They don’t see him “leak out” for a fast break attempt the second his player shoots. Opposing players often have wide open shots because Jimmer won’t run through a screen. It’s embarrassing.

For my money, I take Nolan every single time.
    I highly suspect you are right. But I'm not sure it matters. I think Nolan's best revenge is winning another National Championship while BYU loses in the 2nd round to a 7-seed.

I really thought Nolan had to have big prime time games against VT last week and Unc this week. Too bad we lost last Saturday because I really think it sort of ended the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I highly suspect you are right. But I'm not sure it matters. I think Nolan's best revenge is winning another National Championship while BYU loses in the 2nd round to a 7-seed.

I really thought Nolan had to have big prime time games against VT last week and Unc this week. Too bad we lost last Saturday because I really think it sort of ended the conversation.
    I wonder with BYU losing a key player and losing to Wyoming last night, could Nolan's chances of winning the NPOY go up now, especially when it looks like BYU's chances of going deep into the NCAAT are slim?

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I wonder with BYU losing a key player and losing to Wyoming last night, could Nolan's chances of winning the NPOY go up now, especially when it looks like BYU's chances of going deep into the NCAAT are slim?
    It might be too late...maybe if Fredette shoots sub 40% in his next 2-3 games and they get trounced.

Kemba Walker has played himself into a 2nd team AA spot because he wore out and CT started losing a bit. So yeah, it's possible, but perhaps if it started 2/1 instead of 3/1.

It might be too late...maybe if Fredette shoots sub 40% in his next 2-3 games and they get trounced.

Kemba Walker has played himself into a 2nd team AA spot because he wore out and CT started losing a bit. So yeah, it's possible, but perhaps if it started 2/1 instead of 3/1.
    It really is all hype. ESPN has made Jimmer into a folk hero. Hopefully, Nolan has a big game on Saturday to improve his chances.

btw, "Class of '94" it was New Mexico, not Wyoming. Sports radio out here has UNM back in the tourney after their win last night.

The (really bad) NM loss certainly hurts the kid from BYU. Also, he'll be hurt further w/o the inside help. And, as BYU gets exposure in the post-season, more East-coasters will get the opportunity to see his Defense, or lack thereof. So I foresee Nolan's prospects rising in the next few weeks, especially if Duke goes deep in the NCAAT and ACCT.

One element that would boost NS, if he gets there, would be the historic achievement of being the first player to ever lead the ACC in both scoring and assists.

Alas, it may be too little too late, as minds can be tough to change, but the more the voters see Fredette (and his D play), the better it is for Nolan.

P.S. One other factor could be if the two teams end up seeded in the same region. Many voters might see a head-to-head matchup as a terrific way to settle things. I salivate at that opportunity, on BOTH sides of the ball.

But when do people vote? The later the better I assume.

btw, "Class of '94" it was New Mexico, not Wyoming. Sports radio out here has UNM back in the tourney after their win last night.

Thanks for the correction...Sorry about that. And I imagine that win last night New Mexico was probably the biggest win for them of the season. And I'm hoping that Nolan has a huge game on Saturday and big ACCT (although I'm not sure if conference tournament performances are factored in NPOY consideration).

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    And I imagine that win last night New Mexico was probably the biggest win for them of the season.
    That was actually UNM's second win over BYU this season. They got it done in Utah when Davies was on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    That was actually UNM's second win over BYU this season. They got it done in Utah when Davies was on the roster.
    The first game (when Davies was on the roster) was at the Pit in New Mexico. The second UNM win (no Davies) was at Brigham Young.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    The first game (when Davies was on the roster) was at the Pit in New Mexico. The second UNM win (no Davies) was at Brigham Young.
    Whoops. Thanks for the correction. That kind of evens out the score, although the first win is probably still more impressive.

I don't have the link but fox sports still has Nolan #1 this week in their top 10.

Glad more people are starting to see it going Nolan's way.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    This is the 2nd time I've ever agreed with Roy.

This all reminds me a little of the GHill vs. Glenn Robinson debate in '94. Robinson got the NPOYs because statistically, he was better, even though anyone who knew anything about basketball knew that GHill was a better player. When they met head to head, it was actually about even; Robinson outscored him 13-11, as I recall, but GHill played a better overall game and Duke WON.

So, overall, when you add it all up on both sides of the court, Nolan is clearly a better player. However, Jimmer's got the stats and the funky name, so I think he may get it anyway. So be it. I'd love to see them play head-to head. Since Jimmer doesn't play any D, maybe Nolan could drop 35 on him, and end the discussion.