Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    You voice a lot of the ifs/ands/buts that go into the jersey retirement arguments.

The major thing that sets Nolan and Kyle ahead of Alarie and Langdon is last year's title and their huge role in winning it. Alarie and Langdon fell short on the title (while Scheyer finished 2nd team AA and out of the top 5 in career scoring). Also, there's a lot of basketball left to be played this year. The more wins and titles and awards they rack up, the easier a case they will have. Another Final Four appearance and these guys leap-frog Redick-Williams in my estimation. Nolan and Kyle do seem tied to one another in their chances in most people's minds though.
    I totally agree that both should be retired (probably should have made that clear). Both are just interesting cases because there are few direct comparables, especially for Nolan. Kyle definitely is slightly better than Alarie in almost every area, but since non of us know for sure just how close Alarie was to retirement, it doesn't really tell us anything about Kyle. Without a "major" NPOY award, Nolan is an interesting case. I probably should replace major with "Duke recognized." All that matters is whether Coach K counts the award. Something tells me that they aren't putting Nolan next to JJ because Jeff Goodman said so. Again don't get me wrong, I hope that they are both retired even if Nolan doesn't get one of the big NPOY awards, but I don't see the team accomplishments from this year affecting where they belong. My original response was to a post that said Nolan needs another championship to get it. I just don't believe that is the case. If they had never been to a Final Four, I might think so, but as Coach K likes to say, they are "champions forever." Therefore, they are champions with or without team accomplishments this year.

Larry Drew should get the NPOY.

Who else's decisions had more of an impact on a team this year?

If defense mattered at all for NPOY...

Nolan crushes Jimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    Not sure how Nolan is like Bias, who was a 6'8" power forward (other than being great players).
    Mere mortals as freshman, they both developed into complete beasts as seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I totally agree that both should be retired (probably should have made that clear). Both are just interesting cases because there are few direct comparables, especially for Nolan. Kyle definitely is slightly better than Alarie in almost every area, but since non of us know for sure just how close Alarie was to retirement, it doesn't really tell us anything about Kyle. Without a "major" NPOY award, Nolan is an interesting case. I probably should replace major with "Duke recognized." All that matters is whether Coach K counts the award. Something tells me that they aren't putting Nolan next to JJ because Jeff Goodman said so. Again don't get me wrong, I hope that they are both retired even if Nolan doesn't get one of the big NPOY awards, but I don't see the team accomplishments from this year affecting where they belong. My original response was to a post that said Nolan needs another championship to get it. I just don't believe that is the case. If they had never been to a Final Four, I might think so, but as Coach K likes to say, they are "champions forever." Therefore, they are champions with or without team accomplishments this year.
    Alarie's senior year was all about Johnny Dawkins, and at the time Duke had only two retired jerseys (Groat and Gminski). So the big question was whether Dawkins would get his number retired, given how few in the past had received that honor (Heyman & Mullins would receive theirs in the coming years). Alarie was never really in the discussion, because the idea of having TWO players on one team getting their number retired was unheard of, especially since that would have doubled the number of retired jerseys.

As for Kyle and Nolan, I'm fine either way. However, we're getting short on #s for the team to wear at this point, so I think a secondary honor is definitely in order.
    "There can BE only one."

Alarie was never really in the discussion, because the idea of having TWO players on one team getting their number retired was unheard of, especially since that would have doubled the number of retired jerseys.
    Alarie was never really in the discussion because he wasn't as good a player as the ones whose jerseys were retired.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    If defense mattered at all for NPOY...

Nolan crushes Jimmer.
    Totally second this, but I could also say...

If having an all-around amazing game (offense and defense) mattered for NPOY...

Nolan > Jimmer

I haven't seen any mention of this on here, but yesterday Nolan was named to the USBWA All-America first team.

http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/n...ica110314.html

He is now a finalist for the Oscar Robertson Trophy, and he and Kyle are both finalists for the Wooden award. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tina View Post
    Totally second this, but I could also say...

If having an all-around amazing game (offense and defense) mattered for NPOY...

Nolan > Jimmer
    Luke Winn said it best: Jimmer would most likely win NPOY over Nolan Smith because he is a more exciting player to follow and watch. However, he also said that he doesn't know any coach that would choose Jimmer over Nolan for their own team.

Nolan is the quintessential basketball guard and possibly the best teammate imaginable. IMO, I can't think of a Duke player - Battier included - who has meant more to his teammates in a single season (I know, I know - one hell of a statement to make).

I've had my signature for 2 years running and plan on having it for a few more years.

Go Nolan. And Go Duke.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club