Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke to play in China, Dubai Summer 2011

As previously speculated here but was "officially" just announced. Duke will play in China (and Dubai) in the Summer of 2011

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

I think this will be a great experience. We'll have a really young team, at least from a leadership standpoint, with Smith and Singler gone, so the opportunity to bond and to get in some early games will be invaluable. It will be interesting to see who takes the role of showing the freshmen the ropes, as Nolan has done so well this year.

I believe that the exposure Kyrie would get on a trip like this may change the long-term financial calculations on the leave/stay equation.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    As previously speculated here but was "officially" just announced. Duke will play in China (and Dubai) in the Summer of 2011

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Could this be a factor convincing Kyrie to stay? That would be a really cool experience to share with friends and teammates.

Is this the reason that "Alex Robocop" Murphy wants to start early? Although if his highschool is resisting letting him take the courses he needs to leave, it sounds like summer school is needed to exit high school and Alex wouldn't be able to enroll at Duke during the summer, which the freshmen willl have to do to go on the trip. Sounds like MP3, Cook, Gbinje and Rivers would all qualify.

This kind of trip really sets the Duke program apart from the others which go to places like, say the Bahamas, to "bond." Also pretty cool that the team's trip is being driven by the business school.

A couple of weeks back, on his Sat morn [FSS/FSN 9:30 a.m.] tv show, K and Pres Brodhead talked a bit about Duke establishing itself - the buzz word these days is "brand" - in China. Reference to the broadcast of one game in Mandarin. K said, both humorously and seriously, "Shane is big in China; billboards of Shane in China." Perhaps it's Shane's connection to Yao Ming.

But if by some chance Kyrie makes this trip, there'll be billboards of Kyrie in China by Chinese New Year. BBall fanatics in China will be talking not about the Year of the Dragon, but the Year of Kyrie. And Austin. Possibly the whole team.

Big billboards of Duke team in China. Something to think about, seriously.

Would Alex Murphy like to be on board for the trip? It is, you know, a once in a lifetime thing. This is so cool I would consider coming out of retirement for the trip. I was a 5' 7" point forward in my day.

And it's a totally unfair to UNC, UK, UMd, etc to let us start practice that early. More gravy.

Plus, China probably has some big kids, 7' 3" center types, that could profit from some time at Duke.
    Last edited by camion; 02-18-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    A couple of weeks back, on his Sat morn [FSS/FSN 9:30 a.m.] tv show, K and Pres Brodhead talked a bit about Duke establishing itself - the buzz word these days is "brand" - in China. Reference to the broadcast of one game in Mandarin. K said, both humorously and seriously, "Shane is big in China; billboards of Shane in China." Perhaps it's Shane's connection to Yao Ming.

But if by some chance Kyrie makes this trip, there'll be billboards of Kyrie in China by Chinese New Year. BBall fanatics in China will be talking not about the Year of the Dragon, but the Year of Kyrie. And Austin. Possibly the whole team.

Big billboards of Duke team in China. Something to think about, seriously.
    It's not like they sell many basketball shoes in China though ...

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

Plus, China probably has some big kids, 7' 3" center types, that could profit from some time at Duke.
    You know, I hadn't thought of this, but this is actually a GREAT point. China has THOUSANDS of kids who are 7 foot +... I remember reading about it, and how they almost churn out huge centers at a rate the rest of the world hasn't yet understood... I wonder if that could have an impact?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    You know, I hadn't thought of this, but this is actually a GREAT point. China has THOUSANDS of kids who are 7 foot +... I remember reading about it, and how they almost churn out huge centers at a rate the rest of the world hasn't yet understood... I wonder if that could have an impact?
    Maybe China has a lot of 7 footers simply because 1.5 billion people live there, but they certainly don't churn them out at a larger rate on a per capita basis than the rest of the world. China is definitely on the shorter side of of average height in the world. The average adult male in China is 5' 6.7". By contrast, the average in the U.S. is 5' 10.2". The Nilotic peoples of Sudan average 6 ft 3. Only two "countries" in the survey average above 6 feet for males - Dinaric Alps and the Netherlands. (Not sure how Dinaric Alps qualifies as a "country"...)

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman...ht-chart.shtml

In any event, sounds like a great trip!

I could be wrong, but I don't think incoming freshmen are allowed to go on these trips. I have been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by CBDUKE View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think incoming freshmen are allowed to go on these trips. I have been wrong before.
    The NCAA changed the rules recently. Here was UNC's situation:

And thanks to a change in the NCAA's regulations on preseason trips, the entire squad - including incoming freshmen Harrison Barnes, Reggie Bullock and Kendall Marshall - can make the trip. Effective Aug. 1, the NCAA is allowing incoming freshmen to play in an international summer tournament as long as they have earned at least three hours of academic credit during the college's summer session.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/06/...#ixzz1EKgsUKab
    Duke doesn't have "hours" though...I'd think 3 hours is similar to 1 Duke credit though. So, as long as they enroll in summer school at Duke, they should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I believe that the exposure Kyrie would get on a trip like this may change the long-term financial calculations on the leave/stay equation.
    That's an excellent point! I remember a few years ago someone asked Shaq about Yao Ming being voted the All-star starter even though he hadn't played that well and his response was something like "There are 800 billion people in China" (he was joking).

As for the abundance of 7-footers in China who can play ball, I wouldn't count on finding very many. Yao was not just a genetic fluke. He was literally bred by the Chinese government to produce a basketball star to compete with the Western powers.

http://www.time.com/time/asia/covers...114/story.html

It's about potential. Say, for example, there are 10,000 people in the U.S. out of 308 million that were 7+ feet. If China had the same percentage of 7-footers, they would have more than 42,000! That's the potential people are talking about.

This is definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity for our players. I just signed up to go to China in May through Duke's Young Alumni Passage...maybe we can have them move the trip so we're there when the players are!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Yeah, but why would they wanna come all this way just to set screens for 3-point shooters?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    China is definitely on the shorter side of of average height in the world. The average adult male in China is 5' 6.7". By contrast, the average in the U.S. is 5' 10.2".
    I'm not sure if "average adult male" is the proper comparison here. Due to the rapid changes in China over the last 50+ years, I believe that there are significant differences in height between younger and older people.

So, I would guess that you will have many, many more 7' people per capita in China in the current generation of kids than you would have had in the groups born in the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    The NCAA changed the rules recently. Here was UNC's situation:

Duke doesn't have "hours" though...I'd think 3 hours is similar to 1 Duke credit though. So, as long as they enroll in summer school at Duke, they should be good to go.
    Thank you for that information.

"Wouldn't you hate to live in China? Even if you were a 'one-in-a-million' kind of person, there'd be a thousand of you."

-- A. Whitney Brown

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    That's an excellent point! I remember a few years ago someone asked Shaq about Yao Ming being voted the All-star starter even though he hadn't played that well and his response was something like "There are 800 billion people in China" (he was joking).

As for the abundance of 7-footers in China who can play ball, I wouldn't count on finding very many. Yao was not just a genetic fluke. He was literally bred by the Chinese government to produce a basketball star to compete with the Western powers.

Explain to me how is he "bred of the government"?

That's ridiculous. Their parents are married (and still are today) and have a kids. That's bred by the government? He may be forced to play basketball at young age, but your accusation is way out of line.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Selfishly, this may be great for me... now I just need to figure out if I can hop over to Beijing or Shanghai for one of the games and how to get tickets. Was saddened this year was the first in a loon time I hadn't been able to catch a Duke game because I'm always in the NYC area for Christmas, but the Butler game was just too far before Christmas for me to be there for it. So instead, Coach K is dropping by my neck of the woods. So kind of him, since he did it 7 years ago when I was off in London. And a fantastic trip for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    Explain to me how is he "bred of the government"?

That's ridiculous. Their parents are married (and still are today) and have a kids. That's bred by the government? He may be forced to play basketball at young age, but your accusation is way out of line.
    I don't want to make this a PPB issue, but the article cited at least supports that theory:

When Chinese athletes reach the end of their playing days, they are never truly released from their obligation to the state...[T]hey were expected to pass along something even more fundamental: their genes.
    Indeed, when Shanghai sports officials finally let Da Fang retire, they suggested that she produce a champion
    The responsibility for arranging marriages among the most gifted retired athletes often fell to the coaches...Before Da Fang even started to look for a husband, Shanghai officials had identified a suitable partner for her: Yao Zhiyuan...But it was up to a team leader named Liu Shiyu to make the match. He spoke with the players separately and convinced them that they could "make do" with each other—adding that they had the Communist Party's stamp of approval to do so.
    According to that article, Chinese athletes are not allowed to marry before age 28 or they're retired (whichever comes first). If they get pregnant, they must abort the child or get kicked off the team and re-assigned to a less desirable unit.