View Poll Results: Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 56-41 win over UVA?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kyle Singler

0 0%
  • Nolan Smith

58 63.74%
  • Mason Plumlee

1 1.10%
  • Ryan Kelly

31 34.07%
  • Seth Curry

1 1.10%
  • Andre Dawkins

0 0%
  • Miles Plumlee

0 0%
  • Tyler Thornton

0 0%
  • Josh Hairston

0 0%
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MOTM - Duke vs. UVA (Feb. 16, 2011)

Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 56-41 win over UVA?

(Sorry this didn't get up last night. I had a conflict during game time, and caught it delayed on Tivo. No one else stepped up to the plate...)
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    I'll add my thoughts. I voted for Ryan tonight. I know Nolan dominated our scoring (22 of our 56 points!), and I won't argue against anyone's vote for him, but I love how Ryan played last night. He took advantage of the mismatches - blocking four shots, rebounding, and even pulling out a low post move for a basket (!). In a game where Kyle was completely frustrated and Seth's shooting was off, we needed someone else to step up, and Ryan did so. He was our only other double-figure scorer, shot 5-7 with a 3-pointer in there, and added 5 rebounds and 4 blocks.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Maybe next year

We should have a thread for The X Factor. Because it's obvious I don't know what it takes to be MOTM. Nolan was great again last night and Ryan was very good. But who was MOTM? I voted for Nolan. Go Duke!

Ryan Kelly

Nolan was the MOTM as it's popularly interpreted here but I have voted for Ryan the last two games because he adds an element that has been lacking from recent Duke teams: a big man with a mid-range face up jumper. I like the way he slides into the gaps of zone defenses for 10-12 foot jumpers and his ability (and willingness) to pass over the zone to his fellow bigs down low adds a critical dimension to Duke's offense that should be exploited more often. In the losses to St. Johns and FSU, to stretch the point a bit, Duke's offense was unimaginative, stymied by a lack of an interior game, an element of the game that Duke is now developing. Ryan offers Duke a means to penetrate zone defenses in ways other than off the dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    We should have a thread for The X Factor. Because it's obvious I don't know what it takes to be MOTM. Nolan was great again last night and Ryan was very good. But who was MOTM? I voted for Nolan. Go Duke!
    I think that this is a really good point. I view the MOTM as the MVP of the game, not the player who 'shocked' me with better-than-expected play. If MOTM is indeed MVP of the game, then I would suspect that Nolan would be the unanimous choice. If MOTM is either a) the most important player on the floor or b) the player who surprised you the most, then anything goes.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Don't even think I need to respond. I voted for the player who wears the #2.

I voted for Ryan Kelly. Our half court defense was good last night and Kelly was an integral cog in the wheel with four blocks. On offense, his solid low post move screamed "look at me I have a huge upside" or the ubiquitous "potential" in basketball vernacular.

Nolan Smith was awesome as usual and I wouldn't argue with anyone who voted for him, but for me Ryan Kelly was the difference in the victory over Virginia. Mason Plumlee deserves to be mention in the discussion with a solid nine points and nine rebounds performance.
    Bob Green

Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I voted for Ryan Kelly. Our half court defense was good last night and Kelly was an integral cog in the wheel with four blocks. On offense, his solid low post move screamed "look at me I have a huge upside" or the ubiquitous "potential" in basketball vernacular.

Nolan Smith was awesome as usual and I wouldn't argue with anyone who voted for him, but for me Ryan Kelly was the difference in the victory over Virginia. Mason Plumlee deserves to be mention in the discussion with a solid nine points and nine rebounds performance.
    I voted for Nolan, but thought about voting for Ryan. Yes, Ryan had a nice offensive game, scoring very efficiently. Yes, he was in good position and contested inside and got 4 blocks. Yes, he seemed aggressive going after rebounds. But, what impressed me most about Ryan's game was the way he defended on the perimeter (where he got two of his blocks.) Granted, Virginia's guards aren't Kyrie Irving, but Ryan did a great job guarding perimeter players most of the night and kept them in front of him most of the time. This allowed Duke to continue to play with two bigs for a lot of the game to take advantage of their height advantage. MOTM for Nolan, but great game for Ryan. It was nice to see Duke's D step up in this way against a patient offensive team.

Nolan & Ryan

I wanted to vote for Nolan and Ryan!!! I voted for Nolan! His leadership, is key!

I was at the game, last night and I was chanting "NOLAN'S ROLLING" . Ryan Kelly played a heck of a game!

Kyle Looked sick to us. Even the Uva fans, asked if Kyle was sick. He was so pale (more so than normal). I remember JJ Redick having to get IVs, during halftime and after games, because he had little body fat, and was run down.

NOLAN.. my top pick but a smidge. Ryan was so key for the Big Men!

My reasoning was conventional . . .

and I voted for Nolan; however, Ryan, Seth and Mason certainly provided excellent offense and especially defense.