Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Here's hoping last night was the bottoming out of Kyle's recent malaise/frustrations. Can only go up from that.

I thought Duke was ragged against UVa, although I'm not sure we played all that badly overall. Virginia plays an infuriating style but we were steady enough to eliminate any chance at a UVA run in the second half. Virginia had a lot of half-in-then-out shots in the second half. More than I remember seeing in one game in a while. That helped our cause.

Didn't mind seeing a boring outing at this point in the season. This week, with Virginia and Ga Tech at home, is on paper one of our easier weeks in a while. And we need to fortify ourselves for what will be the toughest four-game stretch of the season from Temple through UNC2.

Quote Originally Posted by KyDevilinIL View Post
    Here's hoping last night was the bottoming out of Kyle's recent malaise/frustrations. Can only go up from that.

I thought Duke was ragged against UVa, although I'm not sure we played all that badly overall. Virginia plays an infuriating style but we were steady enough to eliminate any chance at a UVA run in the second half. Virginia had a lot of half-in-then-out shots in the second half. More than I remember seeing in one game in a while. That helped our cause.

Didn't mind seeing a boring outing at this point in the season. This week, with Virginia and Ga Tech at home, is on paper one of our easier weeks in a while. And we need to fortify ourselves for what will be the toughest four-game stretch of the season from Temple through UNC2.
    If Duke doesn't cough the ball up 8/9 times in the first 15 mintues they probably win this game by 25 instead of 15. It was an ugly game and if Virginia could have hit some of those shots where the ball was 2/3 in the rim it could have been a lot more interesting in Virginia's favor.

All in all the effort was good just not a terribly well executed game a times.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I noticed the standing around too. Not to single out Andre but I noticed a lot of that from him after they talked about how Seth had talked to Steph about moving without the ball. Andre just seemed to hang out on the wing and didn't seem very active on the offensive end.
    Andre doesn't always look like he is totally exerting himself

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    Did anyone else get annoyed with the split screen focus on Nolan? It was OK for a short period but after a while I was just annoyed and my ADHD started kicking in and I couldn't focus on the game.
    Well... as a producer I would have wanted to give the viewers something interesting to watch...cuz a 33 pt second half certainly wasn't that...
    April 1

ACC is BAD

I don't know how ominous this game looms moving into March, but I do know this. I've not seen this many terribly played ACC games in a decade or more. UVA could not beat UNC's jv team, they are absolutely terrible.

Ga. Tech and Wake Forrest would finish 7-8 in the Horizon League, Maryland is average at best, if MD played in the Big East they would finish 11th, behind St. John's.

Ask yourself this, of any of the teams besides Duke and UNC that MIGHT make the tournament, do you expect them to win a game? Nobody in their right mind is putting money on FSU, Va Tech or Maryland to win a game in March...Let's get some new blood and new coaches in the league cause this is a yawn fest.

The only good sign is that it appears everyone has taken a step back this year. I can't remember a season where there were so many bad teams in the BCS leagues. Pac 10, SEC, ACC are all subpar...It's made for some very uninteresting nights of hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Ask yourself this, of any of the teams besides Duke and UNC that MIGHT make the tournament, do you expect them to win a game? Nobody in their right mind is putting money on FSU, Va Tech or Maryland to win a game in March...Let's get some new blood and new coaches in the league cause this is a yawn fest.
    Had Singleton not gotten hurt, I think FSU had a legit shot at getting to the 2nd weekend. Without him I doubt they do, but that's not really something that can be blamed on coaching.

In general, though, I agree - the ACC is historically bad this year. Quite honestly it's the continuation of a trend that's built for 5-6 seasons. IIRC BC is the only team other than Duke or UNC that has advanced to the 2nd weekend since about 2006.

I don't know how ominous this game looms moving into March, but I do know this. I've not seen this many terribly played ACC games in a decade or more. UVA could not beat UNC's jv team, they are absolutely terrible.

Ga. Tech and Wake Forrest would finish 7-8 in the Horizon League, Maryland is average at best, if MD played in the Big East they would finish 11th, behind St. John's.

The only good sign is that it appears everyone has taken a step back this year. I can't remember a season where there were so many bad teams in the BCS leagues. Pac 10, SEC, ACC are all subpar...It's made for some very uninteresting nights of hoops.
    Hard to disagree, although some will probably offer counter arguments in an attempt to convince themselves they're not seeing what they're actually seeing in the ACC this year. I don't see much Pac-10, but I see a lot of SEC. The SEC is even more miserable in most computer conference rankings, but I gotta say that I wouldn't have much faith in the ACC winning an ACC-SEC challenge right now.

Good thing is this stuff is usually cyclical.

I know it's been said, but it needs to be said again so anyone who didn't watch understands...U-G-L-Y, you don't need no alibi cause you UGLY!!!!! My god, that game set basketball back some years, as I watched all I could think was...UVA SUUUUUCKS! Not their fault, they have injuries, etc., but...man...they had a lot of open looks they missed, so many needless turnovers, etc. Add in our first half turnovers and the general "watch while Nolan pounds the ball looking for a seam" and this was a comically bad game for a viewer.

I don't want to harsh on Nolan, though. He is not a pass first point and game after game his aggressive seeking of his own shot leads to (A) good shots that he (B) usually makes and (C) tends to loosen us up and get us going. He always seems to be the guy to will-in the runner that breaks a scoring drought. He really is a ruthlessly efficient scoring machine and I don't know that there is any guard in the country better at finishing in the open floor on the break, sweeping across the lane and finding a seam, pulling up for the nice midrange, squaring up off the dribble from three after jab stepping his man backward or losing his man on a screen (defender goes under) or generally using a stationary screener to free himself left or right. Maybe Jimmer is a better scoring machine, but I don't think his full repetoire is as sublime. That being said, there are times, like the final 8 minutes last night, when I'd have rather he worked on finding other guys.

Ryan Kelly was awesome on both sides of the floor. He blocked a bunch of shots and was generally in the right places on defense. How about that nifty Kevin McHale-esque low post move where he backed the defender down, spun, up faked, held his pivot and ducked under for the easy lay-up...what? Lenny Elmore was even impressed. He and Mason need more touches on offense, we will be so much better if their offensive ego continues to grow. I actually feel like our bigs are quietly improving to the point where it is going to surprise a lot of people. I like how we went to them early and often, but it's too bad our early turnovers killed some of that momentum.

Wither Kyle? I am inclined not to worry about him, or his impact on our prospects for the following reason. He is still a key focus of the other team's defensive gameplan. As such, even when he is not filling it up, he demands a lot of their attention. I don't see that changing. If it does, and other teams decide to leave him alone, he will make them pay. That frees things up for Kelly, Mason...basically everyone. For the most part, during his struggles, he has been taking contested shots, and trying to bull his way to the hoop. The problem with his bull rushes are that a ref can see them coming a mile away and they aren't going to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is much more effective when they start him off under the hoop and he comes off those pin down screens and curls to the hoop catching the ball in motion on one of those banana cuts - I haven't seen him do that in recent games. Most of this hand wringing is tied to his offense and, to me, that will be fine. He helps key our defense and rebounding, we are always better when he is on the floor, I think he's going to be fine.

As some will remember, I have been critical of sloppy, lackluster execution earlier in this season. However, I was pleased with last night's UVa victory -- not because it was splendid Duke basketball, but rather because any ACC road win at this point in the season is a "good win." Particular kudos to Mason, Nolan, Ryan, and Seth (IMHO).

Duke well represented in HOOVille

Duke fans were very well represented in the JPJ arena last night in HOOville!!!

Take away the UVA students and band, and Duke looked to be 40% of the Fanbase there!!

I called it Cameron Indoor West 64!!!

UVa fans are so nice. Very very cordial. I wore my Duke Blue Devil lighted horns!!! And carried my Lighted Trident!!! And annoited the JPJ arena with the Trident!!!

LETS GO DUKE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Ryan Kelly was awesome on both sides of the floor. He blocked a bunch of shots and was generally in the right places on defense. How about that nifty Kevin McHale-esque low post move where he backed the defender down, spun, up faked, held his pivot and ducked under for the easy lay-up...what?
    I loved that move, and I also thought of McHale. I realize he had a smaller guy on him, but that was a really nice move. He did a great job of keeping his pivot foot planted.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Maybe in this game, but Kyle's shot has definitely been off as of late. Since ACC play started (Jan 2), Kyle has been shooting 40% from the field. In the last 4 games, he's been shooting just 32%.
    Last year he shot 41.5% for the whole season. He has never been a particularly high percentage shooter. Even with his recent slump, he's shooting 36% from three-point range this season.

Kyle is a little streaky. Like everyone else, he shoots better after he sees the ball go into the basket a couple times. Right now, I think both he and Andre are pressing a little when they shoot, but they'll both calm down and have some big games when it matters most. I'm not concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I would rather have Kyle on the floor than not, but if this slump continues, I'm not sure how far we can go in the tourney.
    He had pretty much the same game against Baylor last year and we did OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I guess - but a lot of it had less to do with our defense than it did with UVa's ineptness.
    I think it had more to do with our defense than you seem to believe. Open looks aren't so open if you're worried about a guy closing quickly. Our D was in their heads the whole game and even when they looked open, either they really weren't or they rushed their shots because they figured they wouldn't be open for long. That's what good defense does to you.

Or at least I know that's what happens to me if I'm being guarded by a good defender. I rush my shot and I miss what appear to be open looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    If they'd been able to knock down half of the completely wide-open looks they had in the 2nd half, it would've been a competitive ballgame.
    What do they say about pigs and wings? If you talk about what would have happened if one team rectified its mistakes, shouldn't you also consider the other team doing the same?

I think more likely than them making all their shots would have been us not turning the ball over 7 times in the first few minutes. If we hadn't done that the game would have been a complete blowout.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Well... as a producer I would have wanted to give the viewers something interesting to watch...cuz a 33 pt second half certainly wasn't that...
    You do have a point but I just didn't think that was it. Certainly not for the duration with which they showed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Last year he shot 41.5% for the whole season. He has never been a particularly high percentage shooter. Even with his recent slump, he's shooting 36% from three-point range this season.

Kyle is a little streaky. Like everyone else, he shoots better after he sees the ball go into the basket a couple times. Right now, I think both he and Andre are pressing a little when they shoot, but they'll both calm down and have some big games when it matters most. I'm not concerned.
    Many - both on this forum and other media outlets - argued that Kyle had a low percentage last year because he was adjusting to playing the 3 rather than the 4. This year, Kyle initially showed that he was comfortable with the 3 but his shot accuracy has digressed lately. Right now, role players are stepping up but there will be a game where senior leadership will be vital and I hope Singler is out of this mini-slump by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    He had pretty much the same game against Baylor last year and we did OK.
    Last year we had a nearly-guaranteed 3 headed monster. This year it is down to 2.5 (I consider "the player who steps up" to be the 0.5 as it's not guaranteed) which leaves less room for error. That game was also Nolan's career game and he picked up the slack for Singler. Nolan can't do that every game.

I think that Singler will get out of this slump; he's too good not to. But I am concerned - no doubt about that.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I was at this game last night. Great seats, center court 12 rows up. I saw a lot of standing around on the offensive side. It was like the game plan was to throw it in to the bigs and let them work but with very little movement there were not a ton of open shots.

Andre really seemed to not move on the offensive side. I have no idea why we do not use these two guys like we used JJ. Running underneath and through screens in the lane to open them up for open looks. Seth will run off a high pick but rarely do I see him run from one side to the other through the lane. Too much passing around the perimeter and not enough ball screens. It was one of the worst games I have seen live and I usually see about three or four live a season.

There was not much dribble-drive and kicks either. Very boring game overall.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Lots of frustration over this game, but frankly I don't see it. As a fan, I agree that it was a horrible game to watch. But the thing one has to remember is that Duke was leading for most of the game. Thus playing really slowly gave us a strategic advantage. I was actually pretty ok with the way we played.

The flip side is Kyle. Like most people, I'm not too upset about his output tonight, as everyone has a bad game once in a while. But after watching the past four or five games, I am worried about the fact that he doesn't seem to have a specific role on this team. K isn't really running a whole lot of screens for him, and I don't think he's fast enough to beat people off the dribble. His whole game seems to be grab the ball at the three point line, drive about 5 or 10 feet across the top of the key and shoot over a smaller defender for a contested 16-18 footer. He's been pretty remarkable at getting those low-percentage shots to go in (most of the time), but he doesn't seem to be getting any easy buckets. Not really sure what the plan is to use him more effectively - with Nolan playing so well, the coaching staff isn't gearing the offense around Kyle, which is what he needs to be the NPOY guy we expected him to be.
    Trinity '09

Geeze guys...I am beginning to think I was watching a different game than most of you. What I saw last night was positive. I saw a Final Four team starting to gel. Yes I know Kyle's game is off but the positive is that it will come back.
    Kyrie is Nolan's biggest fan. The information he is providing Nolan during time out's is what is upping his game. There is also the remote possibility that Kyrie does come back & even if he's game is 80% of what it was pre injury, I'll take that.

We had a great road win last night. Cheer-up!

Must have been

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    Geeze guys...I am beginning to think I was watching a different game than most of you. What I saw last night was positive. I saw a Final Four team starting to gel. Yes I know Kyle's game is off but the positive is that it will come back.
    Kyrie is Nolan's biggest fan. The information he is providing Nolan during time out's is what is upping his game. There is also the remote possibility that Kyrie does come back & even if he's game is 80% of what it was pre injury, I'll take that.

We had a great road win last night. Cheer-up!
    You were watching espn2 at 7:00 right because that team in black last night was not a Final Four team, and it was not a "great" road win. Let's take off the ACC glasses and admit that UVA is a horrendous team for god's sakes...

Definitely a strange game. As a whole the team shot very well. I'd say our low point total was a combination of UVA's defense and the high number of turnovers we had. A lot has been made of Kyle's recent play. In his 4 games prior to last night he was averaging 15 pts with 7.5 rebounds per game. He made 24 of 57 shots, with his MD effort being his best, 10 of 15 and the UNC game, 3 of 17 being his worst. Not bad numbers, but definitely not what you'd expect from a senior pre-season AA candidate, let alone a NPOY candidate. Were the expectations to high? Maybe, maybe not. He has been asked to be a defensive stopper, a role Lance filled for us last year and one many dismissed at the start of the season. I guess we need a bench Kyle thread to get him going (by the way that's a joke)

I can't get to high on the play of our bigs, as UVA only had Sene, so basically it was 3 on 1. Ryan did show the smarts to take advantage of a smaller player. Mason did have several nice plays, including the slam to start the game.

Nolan had his usual excellent game. Enough with the comments about him pounding the ball and missing wide open shooters. He's been asked to score first, but he's still putting up solid assist numbers.

Seth was just a hair off. Several shots rattled around and spun out.

Andre needs to have some set plays run specifically for him to help him get his groove back. Several people have commented about his standing around, but if that is part of the spacing and his role in a specific set then we can't fault him for that. His D was shakey, which is being kind. On 3 consecutive plays he was torched for a basket. Tyler tried to get in after the first two, but there wasn't a dead ball situation to let him get in.

This team is still a work in progress. The talent is definitely there as we see flashes of it constantly, they still haven't achieved the day in, day out consistency, which will make them a great team.

You were watching espn2 at 7:00 right because that team in black last night was not a Final Four team, and it was not a "great" road win. Let's take off the ACC glasses and admit that UVA is a horrendous team for god's sakes...
    I have my blue glasses off, trust me. This team is starting to jell. I saw this happen last year after the G-town loss. I predicted nets way back then.
    You are focusing on the negatives instead of the positives. This team will be awesome in March.