Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 56, Virginia 41 Post-Game Thread

Post your thoughts here.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Execution was off tonight. But big props for Kelly, all around he played a nice game.

MBB: Duke 56, Virginia 41

Not a whole lot of pretty basketball tonight and it was made frustrating by the fouls and bad bounces for Kyle. ACC road win....next play.

Should have watched the Nolan Cam

An ugly, ugly win. I hope the view from the Nolan Cam was better.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Post your thoughts here.
    Do we have to? That was some ugly basketball. Only good things - Kyle got some rest- Ryan had a solid game and Nolan Cam followers got a good show. Other than that- it was a win as expected. Time to forget and get ready for Tech.

While I agree tonight's game was not aesthetically pleasing, our half court defense was impressive.
    Bob Green

Well

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Do we have to? That was some ugly basketball. Only good things - Kyle got some rest- Ryan had a solid game and Nolan Cam followers got a good show. Other than that- it was a win as expected. Time to forget and get ready for Tech.
    Holding Virginia to 41 points has to reflect well on our defense, which has been lagging lately, so that's good.

Flow

This game had as much flow as going to the dentist. A really bad dentist.

The inside...

Yep - this game was won on the boards. Great job by the bigs - Kelly and the Plumlees as well as Nolan with 7 rebounds.

The game was kind of boring after the first five minutes, when it became clear that we were likely to win. I liked some of Nolan's plays, however.

Ugly Start

For the first 5 minutes it seemed like a contest to see who could play the worst basketball. Lots of silly turnovers by both clubs. It seemed the bug even got into Kyle and Nolan.

It took Nolan some time but he finally settled down and then was the best player on the floor and the reason we won.

Kyle remained in a funk for the entire game. Usually Nolan and Kyle combined get 40 points, tonight it was 24 when you throw in 2 by Kyle. Jay Williams made it clear he didn't think Kyle's game has been at All American level and watching this game certainly makes you wonder what was going on with him.

I did think our half court defense improved in the second half and that helped to frustrate Virginia's offense. Ryan blocked shots and altered others. He also showed an inside presence finding ways to put up 11. Had they looked for him more he probably could have raised his point total. I also think Mason had a good game and clearly had the height and athletic ability advantage inside.

While Seth has steadily progressed, this game was not one of his best. I thought he was forcing his offense and was challenged handling the ball. Saying that, he still was important to our success. Dre has not really turned the corner yet either. Kind of passive on offense, however quick to put up a three when perhaps there were other options.

All in all, I think this game marked a regression in our play and hope they get it out of their skins before we face VT and UNC again.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Kyle remained in a funk for the entire game. Usually Nolan and Kyle combined get 40 points, tonight it was 24 when you throw in 2 by Kyle. Jay Williams made it clear he didn't think Kyle's game has been at All American level and watching this game certainly makes you wonder what was going on with him.
    Jay isn't the first person to say this. Approximately two weeks ago Seth Davis wrote a paragraph or two about Kyle's less than stellar play.

First off: incredible defense all night. great defensive game
    second off: horrible offense in the second half...we scored 20 pts in the half...that's horrid

that said, this worries me that we're still having these offensive woes...long stretches (5-10 minutes at a time) have already heavily contributed to two losses and have appeared in several other games (including both against virginia). It seemed nolan was running the point more (but i wasn't paying super close attention as the uconn game was slightly more highly contested), but games like this worry me come tournament time...when a St. Johns will come along and score more than 13 points in the second half
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Holding Virginia to 41 points has to reflect well on our defense, which has been lagging lately, so that's good.
    That and a very Duke friendly rim that seem to knock out at least 5 shots that were half way down.

ugllllllly......good play around the basket on defense....

kyle will get it back....remember the baylor game....

nolan is playing off the chain
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    First off: incredible defense all night. great defensive game
    second off: horrible offense in the second half...we scored 20 pts in the half...that's horrid

that said, this worries me that we're still having these offensive woes...long stretches (5-10 minutes at a time) have already heavily contributed to two losses and have appeared in several other games (including both against virginia). It seemed nolan was running the point more (but i wasn't paying super close attention as the uconn game was slightly more highly contested), but games like this worry me come tournament time...when a St. Johns will come along and score more than 13 points in the second half
    I would claim that in most tournament game in which Singler has two points and 4 fouls, Duke will be happy to win any way they can.

I would claim that in most tournament game in which Singler has two points and 4 fouls, Duke will be happy to win any way they can.
    Who denies this? It makes it much harder to win with those totals though...and just about every team we play in the tournament will be better than this virginia team (far better if you bypass the first round)
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Who denies this? It makes it much harder to win with those totals though...and just about every team we play in the tournament will be better than this virginia team (far better if you bypass the first round)
    Well sure- but how many games do you think Singler is going to have two points. That certainly did not help the totals. Today they guys played to the level of the competition. Duke was bad- but Virginia was worse.

Well sure- but how many games do you think Singler is going to have two points. That certainly did not help the totals. Today they guys played to the level of the competition. Duke was bad- but Virginia was worse.
    obviously it won't happen too often, but he was in a funk today and the team didn't find a way to score points despite it....yeah they won...against a crummy virginia team. My point is that they need to find a way to perform on the offensive end when either the 3's aren't falling, or kyle is off, or whatever...last year they showed they could do that...i don't know if this years team with this performance from singler would win a game like the baylor game from last year...i honestly don't, and that's scary
    1200. DDMF.

I would not say this was an ugly win. I would say this was more like grinding it out on the last 9 holes.
    ~rthomas