Thread: modular synths

modular synths

Just out of curiousity, anyone on this forum into modular synths? I'm working on a dotcom 22 space cabinet and have a handful of foogers to compliment them. I'd just like to know if there were any locals who were into this sort of stuff as well... and yes, I know that Moog is located a "short" drive down the road in Asheville. so... anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by epoulsen View Post
    Just out of curiousity, anyone on this forum into modular synths? I'm working on a dotcom 22 space cabinet and have a handful of foogers to compliment them. I'd just like to know if there were any locals who were into this sort of stuff as well... and yes, I know that Moog is located a "short" drive down the road in Asheville. so... anyone?
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Honestly, it sounds like something that Earljam would say when he is drunk posting ...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about.
    I agree. The only part I understood was 'compliment,' but that should have been 'complement.'

I'm guessing this has something to do with synthesizers. Unfortunately, I don't have a musical bone in my body and am thus of no help. But since I was a Rush superfan in my childhood, Geddy Lee and I wish you the best in your search for compadres, epoulsen!

I've had a little experience with a Fantom XR synth. My kids' high school (in Raleigh) procured one during my son's years there. When it was delivered, I happened to be in the band room and since I'm known for being tech savvy, I wound up being the one to figure out how to program the thing. I worked on six different shows, each with very different synth needs.

I found it a lot of fun! I wish I'd have had a resource to ask to not only speed my learning curve but to really learn what they're capable of. I've been tasked to have it play back sound bites (assigning different recordings to specific keys on the keyboard) and also to select, modify, and assign various samples so a musician has, say, a bass guitar on the left hand and a string section on the right hand of the keyboard. Fascinating stuff...I pulled it off, but I really wished I could find a resource so that I knew what I was doing! Trial and error is fun, but I imagine we could have done some really cool stuff if I had a little knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Honestly, it sounds like something that Earljam would say when he is drunk posting ...
    Def. not drunk posting, though my spelling may need some touching up haha. Put simply you take a controlled voltage signal and send it through varoius voltage controlled amplifiers, mixers, filters and sequencers, you can also modulate the signals via low frequency oscillators. You can control the signal via keyboard, guitar, heat, light or dark etc. The learning curve is steep (which is why I posted, for some tech help). It's where engineering meets music, and you do have an idea as to what I am talking about if you've ever played Mario Bros or Pitfall. Oh and I forgot, capes... capes are a must when performing on a synthesizer.

"I've had a little experience with a Fantom XR synth. My kids' high school (in Raleigh) procured one during my son's years there. When it was delivered, I happened to be in the band room and since I'm known for being tech savvy, I wound up being the one to figure out how to program the thing. I worked on six different shows, each with very different synth needs. "

The XR is cool, I've had hours of fun using it, pretty high tech with a high price tag too, I wish my high school would have jumped for one. Which high school did your son go to? I went to Gibbons but lived in the Leesville area.

And my spelling may be off but my grammar is impuckable
    Last edited by epoulsen; 02-18-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Def. not drunk posting, though my spelling may need some touching up haha. Put simply you take a controlled voltage signal and send it through varoius voltage controlled amplifiers, mixers, filters and sequencers, you can also modulate the signals via low frequency oscillators. You can control the signal via keyboard, guitar, heat, light or dark etc. The learning curve is steep (which is why I posted, for some tech help). It's where engineering meets music, and you do have an idea as to what I am talking about if you've ever played Mario Bros or Pitfall. Oh and I forgot, capes... capes are a must when performing on a synthesizer.
    That sounds really, really cool. All you need is these guys on percussion.

"I've had a little experience with a Fantom XR synth. My kids' high school (in Raleigh) procured one during my son's years there. When it was delivered, I happened to be in the band room and since I'm known for being tech savvy, I wound up being the one to figure out how to program the thing. I worked on six different shows, each with very different synth needs. "

The XR is cool, I've had hours of fun using it, pretty high tech with a high price tag too, I wish my high school would have jumped for one. Which high school did your son go to? I went to Gibbons but lived in the Leesville area.
    They went to Athens Drive. We got a great deal on a used Fantom off of eBay, which saved a TON of money. Fortunately for Athens Drive, they have a great booster club and some forward-thinking staff that knew how to incorporate it into marching band and indoor percussion shows. I've spent hours and hours and hours with it.

What are you doing with synths?

Def. not drunk posting, though my spelling may need some touching up haha. Put simply you take a controlled voltage signal and send it through various voltage controlled amplifiers, mixers, filters and sequencers, you can also modulate the signals via low frequency oscillators. You can control the signal via keyboard, guitar, heat, light or dark etc. The learning curve is steep (which is why I posted, for some tech help). It's where engineering meets music, and you do have an idea as to what I am talking about if you've ever played Mario Bros or Pitfall. Oh and I forgot, capes... capes are a must when performing on a synthesizer.
    Ah, thanks! I am totally non-musical, but I do have a Duke Engineering degree. And while the degree is ME, I've sold electrical and electronic equipment for 35 years, so I'm familiar with what you speak of.

9F 9F 9F

So long as your amps go to 11, my friend, it's all gravy and biscuits.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    They went to Athens Drive. We got a great deal on a used Fantom off of eBay, which saved a TON of money. Fortunately for Athens Drive, they have a great booster club and some forward-thinking staff that knew how to incorporate it into marching band and indoor percussion shows. I've spent hours and hours and hours with it.

What are you doing with synths?
    Well currently I am making fart sounds. I started out wanting to modulate my guitars signal with LFOs, but the more I learned the more I began wanting to use the VCOs and envelope generators and filters to make some cool soundscapes. The possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So long as your amps go to 11, my friend, it's all gravy and biscuits.
    And I am rigging up a potentonmeter that goes to 11, it sounds the same as at 10 but I can say "this one goes to 11"

And I am rigging up a potentonmeter that goes to 11, it sounds the same as at 10 but I can say "this one goes to 11"
    As long as it gives you a 110%!

9F 9F 9F

if you're working in Pro Tools, there are a number of plug ins that come with packages (massive pack ) that have a TON of mods already to go...specifically the Eventide "FACTORY"...

hit me up on pm and tell me what you're trying to do,,,,

did you already mooger fooger it?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese