Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2011 Jordan Brand Classic

Roster announced today:

The East Team features Austin Rivers, Khem Birch, Michael Carter-Williams, Rakeem Christmas, Michael Gbinije, Michael Gilchrist, P.J. Hairston, James McAdoo, Quincy Miller, Shannon Scott and Marquis Teague.

The West Squad features, Bradley Beal, Jabari Brown, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Anthony Davis, Myck Kabongo, Johnny O'Bryant, Dom Pointer, Otto Porter, Adonis Thomas, Kyle Wiltjer and Tony Wroten, Jr.

No Quinn or Marshall, but glad Austin and Michael are in!

http://www.jordanbrandclassic.com/Ne...announced.html

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    Roster announced today:

The East Team features Austin Rivers, Khem Birch, Michael Carter-Williams, Rakeem Christmas, Michael Gbinije, Michael Gilchrist, P.J. Hairston, James McAdoo, Quincy Miller, Shannon Scott and Marquis Teague.

The West Squad features, Bradley Beal, Jabari Brown, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Anthony Davis, Myck Kabongo, Johnny O'Bryant, Dom Pointer, Otto Porter, Adonis Thomas, Kyle Wiltjer and Tony Wroten, Jr.

so why was Michael eligible for this game but not the McDonald's All American Game?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueDevils47 View Post
    so why was Michael eligible for this game but not the McDonald's All American Game?
    He is a fifth year senior. McDonald's AA doesn't allow participation from fifth year seniors.

It's his fifth year of high school. Jordan allows, but not McDonalds. This happened to John Wall a couple years ago.

*lol, mkline09 beat me to it
    Last edited by AlaskanAssassin; 02-15-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: a second slow

IMO the Jordan Brand is passing the McDonald's AA game as the better overall game for entertainment purposes. The teams seem more even and I think for the most part the selection of talent makes more sense. Either way they both serve their purpose tho.

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlueDevil View Post
    IMO the Jordan Brand is passing the McDonald's AA game as the better overall game for entertainment purposes. The teams seem more even and I think for the most part the selection of talent makes more sense. Either way they both serve their purpose tho.
    this may be true but the McDonald's AA game will ALWAYS be bigger than the Jordan Classic

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    Roster announced today:

Isn't Miller done for the year. If so, I assume he'll be replaced, so there's still hope for Quinn or Marshall.

Why would they put all the Duke and UNC guys on the same team?

this may be true but the McDonald's AA game will ALWAYS be bigger than the Jordan Classic
    How do you figure? There are lots of critics of the McDonald's selection process. I mean I see your point but I just always hate when people say ALWAYS, NEVER, etc...

Plus never underestimate the popularity of Mr. Jordan. If anyone could surpass the McDonald's AA game...it'd be him.

Plus never underestimate the popularity of Mr. Jordan. If anyone could surpass the McDonald's AA game...it'd be him.
    Every time I look at this thread and see that name at the top I throw up in my mouth a little.

Mr. Jordan's star is fading with time and McDonald's will continue to sell Big Macs and Happy Meals. No contest here on which one has staying power.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Mr. Jordan's star is fading with time and McDonald's will continue to sell Big Macs and Happy Meals. No contest here on which one has staying power.
    I dunno. Babe Ruth League has been around for quite a long time, so there is precedent for tying a legendary figure to sporting events for kids. Also, there is a much more logical tie between Jordan and basketball than between Big Macs and basketball (just ask Sean May).

McDonald's certainly has the money to remain the top player if they want, but who knows who will want to throw more dollars at a silly high school basketball game in the future? Certainly, I don't think that the simple fact of the passage of time between Jordan's playing days and the year that most recent crop of youngsters are graduating from high school will be the determining factor.

To be honest I could care less about that guy as well with him being every Tar Heel's claim to fame but most consider this guy the best bball player ever. May I present to you a certain "Himwhosenamewedontspeakof" up the road as exhibit A for the defense? Whom passed on the best team in the country to play at MJ's college.

Kids will always flock to MJ because he's considered "cool" by most. Don't think we'll see him go out of style anytime soon. For the sake of argument

McDonald's has had as much success in the 1st round of the NBA draft

Conspiracy!

Conspiracy theory 1,298, 467 : I heard that Michael Jordan reached out and said he didn't want more Duke players than NC players playin' in HIS game! That is the only reasonable explanation.

That said, I still hope Quinn does slip in as an injury replacement, etc. Odd that he wasn't picked up initially, as he's generally listed among the top 20 or so players in the 2011 class...

I'd have to disagree. His big sneaker releases still sell out in like five minutes. I was just at the Primetime Shootout, and EVERYONE was wearing Jordan sneakers and gear. The man himself is not what he used to be, but his brand is very healthy, his myth is alive and well, and having been to several Jordan Classics, including last year, he's packed the Garden for it. And kids get all sorts of Jordan gear and sneakers for going, which is a draw in itself. It's not like the Jordan game attracts any less talent than the McDonald's Game.

As for McDonald's, well, the restaurant franchise is definitely still popular and profitable among people who don't want to eat healthier food, or can't afford to. (Their revenues are still healthy, even if their food isn't) But though the game still has historical cache, I'd actually go as far as to say the Jordan game has actually surpassed it in terms of street cred and cool factor.

Yea idk if the Jordan Brand Classic will ever surpass the mickey D game but to me the Brand Classic is much better and has the better players with more rounded teams

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    Yea idk if the Jordan Brand Classic will ever surpass the mickey D game but to me the Brand Classic is much better and has the better players with more rounded teams
    I'll be honest that neither game does much for me. You get to see some future stars but the game does nothing to show their ability to play fundamentally sound basketball. It is fun and fast paced but nothing contructive is generally derived from any of the all-star games. That said it is always good to see the future Duke kids get to play.

The lack of defense in these games could set up Austin having a huge night. If he has a hot shooting night he could easily drop 30.