Fighting during Sporting Events

Ignoring Public Policy (i.e. WHETHER it is actually proper), it is generally assumed that if two "athletes" get into a fight in the midst of a sporting event (i.e. game), then it is not really convictable. Having been involved in one of these, the first step was that the police said they would arrest the instigator of the fisticuffs. BUT, I would have had to swear out the warrant - which I wouldn't do. Had I done that, it was unlikely there would have been a conviction (according to several lawyers) due to the fact that it was during a basketball game.

Fights during sporting events are seen as part of the game.

Wasn't there a hockey player brought up on charges from an incident in a game? I think it was high-sticking, not necessarily a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Wasn't there a hockey player brought up on charges from an incident in a game? I think it was high-sticking, not necessarily a fight.
    Marty McSorley. He was convicted of assault and never played in the NHL again.

-Jason "nasty incident" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    More recently, in 2004 Todd Bertuzzi pled guilty of assault for a punch to the back of Steve Moore's head. He received probation (as McSorley had), and was suspended indefinitely by the league. When the NHL lockout wiped out the entire following season, he was also suspended from international play, before being allowed back to the NHL in the fall of 2005. He was also sued by Moore, and in partial response sued his own coach at the time, claiming he was just doing what he was told to do. I'm not sure the status of all the lawsuits. He's currently still in the NHL, and Moore never played again.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Leadership by Example . . .

When such actions are accepted as "part of the game," are we sending an acceptable and/or desirable message to young athletes?

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    When such actions are accepted as "part of the game," are we sending an acceptable and/or desirable message to young athletes?
    I don't think so. I don't think fighting in the stands among the parents is an acceptable message, either. Friends just moved to another state where their children attend private school. Apparently, fights at the basketball games are not unusual - they have 6 cops on hand at the games.

Years ago I went to watch an elementary age indoor soccer game to support a kid from church. I realized that there was nothing wrong with the league that keeping the parents out of the stands wouldn't fix. One parent was leaning over the railing yelling to his child - make him eat his lunch. I thought good sportsmanship and fun were the purpose of sports for young kids. Shows how much I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "nasty incident" Evans
    I immediately thought of Dino Ciccarelli. If I recall correctly, he blazed that ignominious trail a full decade before McSorley. Right around the time he was arrested for indecent exposure for walking out to get his newspaper in the buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I immediately thought of Dino Ciccarelli. If I recall correctly, he blazed that ignominious trail a full decade before McSorley. Right around the time he was arrested for indecent exposure for walking out to get his newspaper in the buff.
    He actually even did jail time, a whole 1 day of it.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Of course it's the wrong message to send, but it is what it is.

I have a friend who will not play basketball with us (us being a vernacular for other mutual friends) - because he has played hockey since he was 5. And when "your man scores a goal" in hockey - especially pick-up hockey - the next time he comes in for a shot, you take him out.

In basketball, that will get you an elbow to the head the next time YOU go through the lane.

So, thus, the attitude of whether it is even appropriate changes per sport. For example, if you're a small, quick skater playing hockey, you appreciate (EXPECT) your big defenseman fighting with the other team's defenders if they start roughing you up.

OR you expect your teammate to pay back the other team's small, fast skaters as good as you've been getting.

I was in a basketball game once where we were winning by a large margin (IBM Watson league - that means 15+). The other team had a big center that was starting to get frustrated, to the point of shoving in the back and tossing elbows around on rebounds. Both our captain - and me (of course) quietly talked to one of the refs during a timeout that "32" was starting to get out of control - and that if we needed some double fouls to get him calmed down, we were happy to take the fouls.

Literally the next play, our captain stole the ball on the wing and went the length of the floor for an open lay-up. Mr. Goon took off full speed behind our guy.

Luckily, our captain tripped and stumbled right as the other dude took a giant swing where our guy's head would have been had he been going up for the lay-up.

Now, here's the kicker. I'm not a fighter. I don't even like arguing over calls during a game. But if that guy had connected with my teammate's head, I would have been in there swinging - because that's what's expected of me - to protect my teammate - and I expect others to do the same for me.

Ultimately, the blame would lie with the referees, although that probably wouldn't have helped senor goon not get fired for an intentional take-down. You have to protect yourself and your team - and if the refs aren't controlling things, sometimes it is the only way.