Consistent Law Enforcement

In the same city, on the same evening three fights occur: the first is your textbook barroom brawl where two intoxicated (or more) hooligans resort to fisticuffs; in the second, two (or more) ruffian-fans attending an athletic contest “get into it” with punches, shoves, and stadium wrestling; finally, two (or more) athletes attempt to resolve their differences with a fight on the ice, the court or the diamond. In the first two situations, there’s a good chance the miscreants will be arrested, charged and prosecuted, whereas the athletes in the third scenario are unlikely to face legal action (team and league sanctions perhaps, but it is improbable that they will become short-term residents in the local lockup).

Why do we permit this clear inconsistency to exist? Is it reasonable and useful to do so? Does it, in fact, send an unfortunate message to youthful athletes, who tend to emulate the “professionals?” Why do local officials not enforce the laws they are sworn to uphold?

I think you might find this article enlightening, even if it is a roundabout way of getting to the point. The very basic notion is that as long as the fights are consented too and occur during a licensed sporting event, there is no criminal or civil liability.

Mac - Thank you; I enjoyed the article, however, it raised a question: Does the "implied athlete consent" doctrine apply in all venues, especially in the United States (the article tended to be, as you are aware, Canadian-centric)?

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Mac - Thank you; I enjoyed the article, however, it raised a question: Does the "implied athlete consent" doctrine apply in all venues, especially in the United States (the article tended to be, as you are aware, Canadian-centric)?
    Then can we call it Ice Hockey Justice?

Recently I was watching a hockey game on TV. As usual a fight broke out, and it was all over the ice. The two goalies had skated to center ice and were standing together observing the procedures. As the refs were trying to regain control the two goalies said something to one another, shook hands, threw down their gloves and squared off. As the began making contact it almost seemed as if the other players stopped their battles and formed a circle around the goalies. Then the goalies stood up, shook hands, and returned to normal duties. And the game went on when everybody retrieved their gloves.

The whole thing lasted less than two minutes.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Then can we call it Ice Hockey Justice?

Recently I was watching a hockey game on TV. As usual a fight broke out, and it was all over the ice. The two goalies had skated to center ice and were standing together observing the procedures. As the refs were trying to regain control the two goalies said something to one another, shook hands, threw down their gloves and squared off. As the began making contact it almost seemed as if the other players stopped their battles and formed a circle around the goalies. Then the goalies stood up, shook hands, and returned to normal duties. And the game went on when everybody retrieved their gloves.

The whole thing lasted less than two minutes.
    That is hilarious.

Sounds like a public policy issue.