Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Miami II Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

It's been a great week, with wins over two nearby rivals and two wonderful recruiting commitments, but I think it's time to focus on our next opponent, Miami.

Miami gave us a tough game in Durham, and their big man, Reggie Johnson, was effective when in the game, but had foul trouble.

The dork polls make Duke about a 10 point favorite, but I'm expecting a tough game, with it being on the road, and the possibility of a post-UNC letdown. Also, Miami's given us tough games the last few matchups. Finally, Miami's on a three game win streak, albeit against some of the weaker teams in the ACC.

Discuss.

Agree with all you say

Besides the big man, they have two quality guards. No doubt they are better than last time and are at home. Would like to see Ryan, Andre and Smith all have good games at the same time.

Could be a trap game.
    ~rthomas

About a month ago, I was really worried about this game when looking over the schedule. Miami had played us tough in Cameron and they have some weapons that can hurt us. Two quick scoring guards and of course the big guy with soft hands Reggie Johnson.

But, after that stirring second half comeback against Carolina, I think Duke is riding high and coming together as a team right now. I think our boys are a better team post-Carolina and will play at a higher level for the rest of the season, and I think they go down to Miami and handle business. I really think that Carolina game will be looked back upon as a turning point for the '10-'11 season. I'm feeling the "Seth Curry is this season's Zoubek" vibe. (Hopefully I haven't jinxed it by talking about it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    About a month ago, I was really worried about this game when looking over the schedule. Miami had played us tough in Cameron and they have some weapons that can hurt us. Two quick scoring guards and of course the big guy with soft hands Reggie Johnson.

But, after that stirring second half comeback against Carolina, I think Duke is riding high and coming together as a team right now. I think our boys are a better team post-Carolina and will play at a higher level for the rest of the season, and I think they go down to Miami and handle business. I really think that Carolina game will be looked back upon as a turning point for the '10-'11 season. I'm feeling the "Seth Curry is this season's Zoubek" vibe. (Hopefully I haven't jinxed it by talking about it.)
    I agree completely with every word of this post (except the word "jinxed" ) This was the game I circled at the beginning of the season. But I do feel a little differently about it now. It won't be easy, because despite their record Miami is a good team, but if the team learns the lesson of the UNC tale of two halves, we should be tough to beat the rest of the way.

Johnson is the key.

In a game that was never a blowout, AT HOME, Duke lost the 2nd half. Why? Because Johnson played basically the entire period.

When he's on the floor, Johnson is the best big man in the ACC. Better than Williams, Zeller, or Henson (He can make free throws). Duke can handle good guards, and Scott and co. are really nothing Duke hasn't seen before. But Johnson is a BEAST and will get them second chance opportunities.

Miami hasn't been great at home at all...they've scored as many points as their opponents. But they pose a difficult challenge, one which Duke has had quite a bit of trouble with this year.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Anyone else think its a bit odd that out of the 5 home-and-home series Duke has this year, only one (NC State) had the second game in Cameron. UNC, MD, UVA, and Miami all have the second game on the road. I've never really paid attention before. Has this happened often, or just a strange little quirk for this year.

Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    In a game that was never a blowout, AT HOME, Duke lost the 2nd half. Why? Because Johnson played basically the entire period.

When he's on the floor, Johnson is the best big man in the ACC. Better than Williams, Zeller, or Henson (He can make free throws). Duke can handle good guards, and Scott and co. are really nothing Duke hasn't seen before. But Johnson is a BEAST and will get them second chance opportunities.
    This would be a particularly good game for MP1 and MP2 to go strong to the basket and draw fouls, even if they miss the free throws. Also important to stay home on Johnson on defense, I would think, but maybe the coaches think otherwise.

On the Dan Patrick show, Coach K said Duke "pulled in" its defense against UNC in the second half, which is something some of us have been thinking might be needed, especially after St. Johns. This might be another game to do that, given the skills of Miami's guards.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Could be a trap game.
    they ALL are now...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Miami hasn't been great at home at all...they've scored as many points as their opponents. But they pose a difficult challenge, one which Duke has had quite a bit of trouble with this year.
    Duke needs to get him in foul trouble- so I expect a lot of trying to get the ball inside - at least early. Miami has played 8 games in a row that were decided by 4 or less points. So they are used to fights. Duke needs to shoot well- but that is easier said than done. Dawkins had a good game last time out- so either he or Curry need to be an important part of the O. Should be a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Duke needs to get him in foul trouble- so I expect a lot of trying to get the ball inside - at least early. Miami has played 8 games in a row that were decided by 4 or less points. So they are used to fights. Duke needs to shoot well- but that is easier said than done. Dawkins had a good game last time out- so either he or Curry need to be an important part of the O. Should be a good game.
    We need Miles Plumlee (our best post defender) to play some great D on Johnson and Ryan Kelly to shoot the ball well so we can spread things out and leave the paint open and go after Johnson to get him in foul trouble. I'd like to see Johnson try to guard Mason one on one.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Could be a trap game.
    Agree. This game scares me as it is just set up so... nicely for an emotional let down and "The U" is more than capable of pulling off an upset and another court storming. Hopefully, the team regains its focus and puts forth the necessary effort to bring home another W.

The very best thing about Miami joining the ACC is that I can now make the short drive across the Everglades to see us play. Not very tough to get tickets, and usually about a 20% Duke crowd. It does not feel like an ACC venue; you can actually talk to the person next to you! Anyone else going? I will be in Section 112, Row T.

Peak time

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

I look for Duke to begin peaking just like last year. We've had room to grow this season and I like what I see from Seth, Miles, Mason, Ryan and Tyler. Now is the time for Andre to pick it up. He doesn't have to score 20ppg, but just hit the open jumpers, play defense and not turn it over. And I too feel that Seth may be this year's Zoubs. Add in the possibility of Kyrie coming back by ACCT time and we have the ability to peak just like last year. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Frosh View Post
    The very best thing about Miami joining the ACC is that I can now make the short drive across the Everglades to see us play. Not very tough to get tickets, and usually about a 20% Duke crowd. It does not feel like an ACC venue; you can actually talk to the person next to you! Anyone else going? I will be in Section 112, Row T.
    I'll be in the student section, wearing a black no-writing tee shirt. That way, I won't get beat up.

miami at home

Miami hasn't been great at home at all...they've scored as many points as their opponents.
    There is a reason why Miami has demonstrated little homecourt advantage, but also why that won't apply for the Duke game.

Check out their attendance figures -- for the most part, nobody goes to their games. It's hard to get much of a boost when you play in front of a half-empty crowd.

But that's the burden of being Duke -- the opposing fans will be out in force when the Devils come to town. They drew under 4800 (announced!) for the last two home games ... they'll draw 7,000-plus (full capacity) for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    There is a reason why Miami has demonstrated little homecourt advantage, but also why that won't apply for the Duke game.

Check out their attendance figures -- for the most part, nobody goes to their games. It's hard to get much of a boost when you play in front of a half-empty crowd.

But that's the burden of being Duke -- the opposing fans will be out in force when the Devils come to town. They drew under 4800 (announced!) for the last two home games ... they'll draw 7,000-plus (full capacity) for this one.
    Not just opposing fans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

I didn't say they don't show a home court advantage. I said they played not well at home. There's a difference there...Miami does play better at home than on the road, and opponents play worse @ Miami than at home (See http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...265#post472265).

However, while they're a bad team on the road, they're not a good team at home. That's what I was saying.

EDIT: Contrast FSU who is a beast at home...but terrible on the road.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Time to move on..

Glad to see this topic posted. Too much loathing over the UNC win. It was a win, just that....

This is the game of the season for Miami. Simply they are always close to the bubble, always looking for a signature win, at home against Duke. Should be a good game

I think this game is a great test of our focus. Such a big win on Wednesday, can the young pups on this team put it behind them, stop listening to all the praise and be ready for the Canes

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    This is the game of the season for Miami. Simply they are always close to the bubble, always looking for a signature win, at home against Duke.
    Miami has had a very interesting ACC season. Their record is lousy, but their only "bad" looking [i.e., double-digit] loss was at Cameron, and I doubt most posters would say Duke handled them with no problem.

Of their last 8 ACC games, they've lost 4 - by a total of 11 points - and won 4 - by a total of 6 points. They don't get blown out, but can't shake their opponent, either.

Most important, they didn't give up when they lost 4 straight [again, by the agonizing total of 11 points]. When I looked at their schedule back then, I saw they had a good chance to be on a 3-win uptick by the time Duke came to town. Sure enough, they've gone from 1-6 to 4-6. I'd bet that has led Frank Haith to tell his team they can still make the NCAAT, if they get to 9-7, including a win over Duke, and win some games in the ACCT.

Now maybe the truth is they have to get to 10-6 and/or win the ACCT, but under any circumstances they know they must beat Duke, and believe they can. They believe they're as good as Duke. They have 4 legit 3-bombers, plus Reggie down low. Good FT-shooting %. They are likely to be very dangerous.

One more thing: one could argue that one play at the end of their game with UNC 2 weeks ago was a turning point for both teams. Some of you will remember it. Game tied, UNC working the clock for the last shot, Marshall got up in the air and threw a semi-desperation pass to Barnes. A Miami defender saw Marshall in trouble, was about to step in to intercept the pass to streak downcourt to an open last second layup... but slipped. The pass lofted just over his desperate fingertips, into Barnes' hands, for a smooth, winning 3.