Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I guess I am in the minority here...I thought the Heels letter was better by quite a margin. I have no idea what the traditional guidelines are, but I am guessing that you are supposed to essentially rip the opposition a new one, no holds barred. The Heel letter had me at the opening, and hit a lot more of the traditional Duke insecurities then our letter. I also happen to dig well used profanity..well played, kids.

On a side note, I thought our letter delving into Dean Smith's dementia was quite low. Had they invoked Debbie K's recent malady, people on this borard would be calling for their paper to be shut down. I am glad we won the game, but I think the Heels won the letter.

The people writing these things are 20±1 years old, just I was when I was producing the same kind of content for The Chronicle. And I don't pretend to have done any better. One's sense of humor and understanding of the rivalry at that age is inchoate at best. I mean, back in 1989 unc was referring to "Queer Snyder" and "Danny Fairy". Was this any less clever?

Not that I excuse either side, but at least Duke doesn't have a J-school that's supposed to teach its writers these things.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Maybe its just my browser but when I opened up the link the page was all messed up - did anyone else going over for their gloating look have a problem?
    Loaded ok the second time in Firefox. Not worth going to gloat, since they managed to work in a few other nasties. It's on the last page if you want to waste the time. They really are pretty puerile.

Did the daily tar heel pay off?

If you haven't see the two letters sent by each school's (Duke & UNC) newspaper editors to one another then you may not know what I'm talking about. Go to deadspin.com and read the letters.

The Chronicle editors made a poor joke concerning Dean Smith and his health issue but the Tar Heel editor's letter was as vile and racist as anyone could imagine.

But each school made a "bet" that the losing newspaper would feature the others banner on their next edition.

Did the Daily Tar Heel pay off?

I happened to pick up a copy of the Thursday, Feb 10 edition of the DTH and on the back page there is a Duke logo with the words: "We're really sorry about this, but newspapers have rivals, too. We lost a bet to The Chronicle, the rag of a paper at the school down the road. Shield your eyes."

Tar Heel letter is real classy

Best lines of the deadspin reporter:
    "Bonus points for UNC's chancellor taking a jab at K-ville on Twitter. Though judging from the letter, I'm not so convinced his students spend all their time asking smart questions and talking about the future."