Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Scout lists him at 6'8" 180#, but they are usually way behind on the numbers. Has he gotten stronger this year? I assume he has put on some muscle, but is probably a long way from being a Singler type. I look forward to seeing this kid develop in a Duke uniform. With the group we will have next year, I would be surprised if he wanted to come to us early.
    ESPN has him at 6'8", 215

I can't imagine that Murphy comes early, that would give us 13 guys next year. We all know K does not play 13 guys, he doesn't even play 10 guys. If you remember Taymon Domzalski did not even get off the bench at Duke, and Pete Gillen remarked that if was at UVA they would build a statue of him. Unless K foresses some early departures that we do not know about, I can't see this happening knowing the history of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Murphy is a terrific talent. This is a very big get for Duke, and the start to what will be a very good week.
    Are you promising that, Mike?

I am not a scout (nor do I pretend to be), but Murphy does seem to have a somewhat similar skillset to Singler. From the tapes that I have seen, high school-aged Singler was stronger and a better rebounder than Murphy, but Murphy is slightly more athletic in the sense of quickness and jumping ability. I would never expect Murphy to have Singler's output - since, after all, I consider Singler to be one of the best players in the K-era - but I do think he will have a similar role in the offense to Singler (in Singler's last two years, not his underclassman years of playing the 4 and 5).

This is great news! Welcome Alex!

I'd say we are all set at the SF/PF position for a bit with Gbinije and Murphy. Let's keep the momentum going! Woohoo!

Well I've looked at Murphy and while it seems that everyone wants to go the Dunleavy/Singler route, there was another player that he seemed to remind me of as well. It might sound crazy but I see a whole lot of Grant Hill in that kid...

Quote Originally Posted by taiw93 View Post
    I am not a scout (nor do I pretend to be), but Murphy does seem to have a somewhat similar skillset to Singler. From the tapes that I have seen, high school-aged Singler was stronger and a better rebounder than Murphy, but Murphy is slightly more athletic in the sense of quickness and jumping ability. I would never expect Murphy to have Singler's output - since, after all, I consider Singler to be one of the best players in the K-era - but I do think he will have a similar role in the offense to Singler (in Singler's last two years, not his underclassman years of playing the 4 and 5).
    I think he's much more similar to Dunleavy, minus a little length and plus a little more aggression at the rim. Singler has always been a little bigger and more of a hybrid forward, while Murphy seems like more of a true wing. Great start to the class.

Let's see:

Al-ex-Mur-phy! ::clap-clap-clapclapclap::

Yep. Just the right amount of syllables.

Quote Originally Posted by drdoctormd View Post
    Let's see:

Al-ex-Mur-phy! ::clap-clap-clapclapclap::

Yep. Just the right amount of syllables.
    and just the right amount of unoriginality!

Quote Originally Posted by burns15 View Post
    I can't imagine that Murphy comes early, that would give us 13 guys next year. We all know K does not play 13 guys, he doesn't even play 10 guys. If you remember Taymon Domzalski did not even get off the bench at Duke, and Pete Gillen remarked that if was at UVA they would build a statue of him. Unless K foresses some early departures that we do not know about, I can't see this happening knowing the history of the program.
    One of the best all-time quotes... thank you for reminding us all of that one!

A big welcome to Alex. It's nice to get some good news today, as I'm sick and tired of seeing all the Carolina blue that is suddenly being worn at work. They win a few games and suddenly they're coming out of the woodwork like a bunch of roaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    One of the best all-time quotes... thank you for reminding us all of that one!
    Another great Gillen quote [please read with Gillen's terrific Northeast accent]..."Duke is Duke. They're on TV more than Leave It to Beaver returns."

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    ... and suddenly they're coming out of the woodwork like a bunch of roaches.
    Well of course; that's what they are. ROACHES

Great news to hear!! I really love this kids game and think he will add some real toughness along with another good character kid with a great personality.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Well I've looked at Murphy and while it seems that everyone wants to go the Dunleavy/Singler route, there was another player that he seemed to remind me of as well. It might sound crazy but I see a whole lot of Grant Hill in that kid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I think he's much more similar to Dunleavy, minus a little length and plus a little more aggression at the rim. Singler has always been a little bigger and more of a hybrid forward, while Murphy seems like more of a true wing. Great start to the class.
    Another name being tossed around is Jon Barry. Alex is a bit more athletic than Singler (hops, quickness, etc.), but doesn't have the toughness of Kyle in the lane (made of platinum?).

He's a very versatile player with a nice handle, solid outside shot, and a great basketball IQ. Alex would be well served to put on some bulk (he'll do that in no time at Duke) and to toughen up his mentality. Other than those two things, he's able to play four positions on offense and 3/4 on defense.

Very good pickup and should be just the beginning of a very nice week for Duke fans...

Great pickup! Definitely reminds me of a more athletic version of Kyle. This kid has insane leaping ability
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBPrkWcMk4U

Alex's new nutrition and lifting program will start after his high school season ends this spring, I'd imagine. He'll put on weight before he matriculates, and put on plenty of muscle while at Duke.

He's no string bean like Dunleavy was, however, so it's not as if it's alarming.

Murphy is the quintessential, multi-talented player that has thrived in K's system for decades. Just a huge get. Couldn't be more pleased with this.

K is absolutely on fire right now. Remember a few seasons ago when people were suggesting that he'd gone the way of his mentor? That he'd lost the touch and should retire when the retirin' was good?

The man is the best of the best of the best for a reason. And all these recruits know it, all over again: Duke has become the "it" program once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Dunleavy leaves, in comes Singler. Singler graduates in comes Murphy. Let's keep the momentum going!
    It wasn't quite like that. Dunleavy left in spring 2002 in his junior year. Singler matriculated close to five and half years later.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    It wasn't quite like that. Dunleavy left in spring 2002 in his junior year. Singler matriculated close to five and half years later.
    Gives you a sense of how much Duke was hurt by Deng only staying one year.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Come on Throaty! Don't let facts get in the way of a good story!

Actually, the JJ/Sheldon/Shav class came in on the heels of Dunleavy/Williams/Boozer class departing. 2 years later we had the Paulus/McBob class, followed by the Scheyer/Henderson/Thomas/Zoubs class, and then Singler/Nolan arrived. So it was a large gap between Dunleavy/Singler.