Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 76, NCSU 52 Post-Game Thread

Not a whole lot of dissection needed here. NCSU seems to have regressed as a team. I hate to see that because I really want to be able to cheer for El Sid.

Mason Plumlee was aggressive today, and there was good hustle all around. On to the Unc game.

postgame interviews

Where can I find post game interviews from tonight's Duke versus NC State game?

you can see the final stats here:

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHdGame.asp?hSchedule=7049

Duke dominated pretty much every part of the game.

First half, beautiful. Second half, dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    First half, beautiful. Second half, dreadful.
    We got outscored 28-23 in the 2nd half. Uhm. Ouch. I should be more upset but that game was just plain ugly after we got up, what, 29-10.

I was having trouble staying focused in the second half - so were our players. I did perk up with the Jack Marin story, though!

Hard to evaluate more than about 15 minutes of the first half

Early in the game, we were playing some of out best basketball and NC State wasn't. When we went with Josh, we basically slowed down and the rest of the game was kind of a hodge podge or lineups.

The good:

Nolan played very well in the first half and looked to be the quickest and most determined player on the court. I loved his defense and distribution as well as his scoring.

Mason had his second very strong game again. His rebounding and blocked shots were excellent and he tried to hit on some hooks in the post and was successful. What an improvement from earlier in the year. Now if he could hit more of his free throws. He line drives those. You have got to think he is getting coaching on those but you could see he father grimace when he bricked one after another.

Seth is also improving and gaining confidence. His defense is improving game by game and he has been more of a threat scoring lately.

I liked Tyler's contribution of handling the ball and playing solid defense. He managed to draw NC State into a couple of offensive fouls. I can see him getting to the basket ala Nolan more as the season wears on

Things that could improve:

I can't believe Andre can't get more shot attempts than he is getting. He is a good shooter but somehow disappears for long times. Something needs to get him to be more aggressive out there. His defense was pretty good

Miles is a big and athletic guy and that makes him valuable at times. He does seem to have trouble with catching and being strong with the ball. He also has this habit of overplaying. He either lunges and puts himself out of position or he fouls. My opinion is that the coaches need to convince him to play behind his guy and avoid the mistakes he seems to make on a regular basis.

Josh got some valuable playing time. He did well for a freshman, but the team is not as cohesive with him in at the forward position. I do like his hustle and expect him to continue to improve.

Ryan didn't seem to make much of an impact in the game. That makes two in a row so it seemed strange after him playing such a big part just two games ago.

Singler

I forgot to mention Singler. I thought he had an off game. He seemed to be forcing shots and he got himself into foul trouble. It appeared like he wanted to take it on himself to score instead of taking what came to him and dishing when it wasn't there.

I thought this game was going to be much closer than it was. State played more lackadaisically at 0-0 than Duke did with a 30 point lead; if Lowe can't get his get his guys to play with more intensity against the best team in their conference, he really must go.

On the Duke side, I loved what I saw from Mason - he seemed to expand on the progress he made in the Maryland game and then some. However, he NEEDS to do better than 2-7 on free throws - fouling him at this point is practically as good as a turnover. Nolan was positively deadly off the dribble today, and Seth is money on transition threes. I am a little disappointed, though, that Ryan seems to be in a bit of a rut. Did he even attempt a shot today?

Overall, though, Duke looked really, really good today. Now, it's on to the next one. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I can't believe Andre can't get more shot attempts than he is getting. He is a good shooter but somehow disappears for long times. Something needs to get him to be more aggressive out there. His defense was pretty good
    While I do think Andre needs to move more without the ball, there were times he was wide open, calling for the ball, and getting nowhere. In 2 back-to-back possessions (I'm pretty sure), he called for the ball and Nolan didn't dish to him. After the 2nd time, I continued to watch Andre when Nolan went the other way, and Andre's body language was pretty poor. He dropped his hands and hung his head, shaking it, like he was frustrated, and slowly trotted across the baseline. Later, when he was getting more touches, he seemed to be really wanting to get shots off whether or not they were actually good shots to be taking.

State is who I thought they were...not good. Sorry Sid, a team's gotta have heart, and your guys don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tina View Post
    While I do think Andre needs to move more without the ball, there were times he was wide open, calling for the ball, and getting nowhere. In 2 back-to-back possessions (I'm pretty sure), he called for the ball and Nolan didn't dish to him. After the 2nd time, I continued to watch Andre when Nolan went the other way, and Andre's body language was pretty poor. He dropped his hands and hung his head, shaking it, like he was frustrated, and slowly trotted across the baseline. Later, when he was getting more touches, he seemed to be really wanting to get shots off whether or not they were actually good shots to be taking.
    Nolan has become a bit of a ball hog at times...there were times when he would ignore wide open mason as well, only to miss a wacky shot or get blocked...I'm not sure if it's nolan wanting to make a star play or simply being so committed to scoring that sometimes he closes out everything but his defender (more likely) but he must be open to passing sometimes once he has started his drive
    April 1

Back to the top! Hate it that a thread about unc/drew leaving is leading this board.

As for the game, not much to say about this one - happy we got the win, looked great at times, and pretty bad at others. Glad that they were able to have a relatively easy game before Wednesday.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    One play in the second half I think said it all about these two teams. A loose ball heading towards our basket. The State player jogs after it, Josh dives after it.

I got a bit worried after Duke had a 29 pt half time lead. I thought Duke was about to play its most dominant game of the year. I want them to play that the next game. So they missed a bunch of shots in the second half and gave up some easy shots so now there are plenty of reasons to get refocused. In the second half- Duke attacked but stuff did not fall. Maybe focus- maybe something else. That said, hard to lose when you get a 29 pt lead. Time to get ready for the toughest game of the year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tina View Post
    I noticed exactly the same thing. And I agree with your take. I don't think Nolan et al are ignoring Dre but Dre needs to keep his head up during these stretches. His moments will be there and he needs to be ready.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Things that could improve:

Miles is a big and athletic guy and that makes him valuable at times. He does seem to have trouble with catching and being strong with the ball. He also has this habit of overplaying. He either lunges and puts himself out of position or he fouls. My opinion is that the coaches need to convince him to play behind his guy and avoid the mistakes he seems to make on a regular basis.
    Regarding Andre, it is not his fault. Guys are missing him time and time again when he is open. It happened several times tonight. Also, in the 2nd half, when we much to my dismay went back to Nolan and the high screen a lot, it hurt Andre's chances to get looks. In that set the wings stay where they are during the pick and a defender is simply not going to leave Andre. I wish we would just stick with motion and continue to involve all 5 guys in the offense including getting the ball in the post.

Regarding Miles, it is a case of being told to stay aggressive on defense. Sometimes that will lead to a foul but I can live with fouling on a hustle play. Would like to see him be able to sustain that aggression while fouling less, but I cannot fault the hustle and aggression.

Anyone see how much Miles looks like his Mom?

Also, I feel horribly for Sid. I think this game was the nail in the coffin. It's too bad, because I really like him.

it's hard to continue to deliver a skilled, laser-like prize fight performance when your opponent is lying on the floor balled up...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    I noticed exactly the same thing. And I agree with your take. I don't think Nolan et al are ignoring Dre but Dre needs to keep his head up during these stretches. His moments will be there and he needs to be ready.
    Agree with both of you and it wasn't just Nolan. Seth missed him twice as well late in the 2nd half. I think the reason he bricked that one three was rushing a bad shot due to not getting the ball earlier when he would have had a chance at good looks. Hopefully K will point that out to the other guards during the film session and guys will be more aware.