Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wallace Wade/Cameron Indoor upgrades

Article in today's Triangle Business Journal about WW and Cameron expansion and upgrades, namely bringing WW's capacity to 45,000. Dream Big!

GO DUKE!

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...e-cameron.html

Dammit. Team stores in Cameron?

You come to Cameron to watch a basketball game in the greatest venue on earth, not buy a t-shirt. Want to buy stuff? Go to the student center.

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

You come to Cameron to watch a basketball game in the greatest venue on earth, not buy a t-shirt. Want to buy stuff? Go to the student center.

*sigh*
    On one hand, I'm with you. On the other, the game remains the same, as does the playing environment. Fine with me. (adding seats to Wally Wade changes the playing environment)
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

I never believe that any construction project at Duke, athletic or academic, is happening (especially the details), until the work actually begins. Too many times, plans all over campus have been talked about, but a large number never happen. That's saying something, considering how many actually do happen. I will reserve judgment until I see a set budget and construction fences at the site.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I never believe that any construction project at Duke, athletic or academic, is happening (especially the details), until the work actually begins. Too many times, plans all over campus have been talked about, but a large number never happen. That's saying something, considering how many actually do happen. I will reserve judgment until I see a set budget and construction fences at the site.
    Duke has long range construction plans for both Wallace Wade and Cameron that are waiting for the economy to pick up. The WW plan is four to 5 times as large as the Cameron project and involves lowering the field and relocating the track (FDA's dream for a decade), building a tower, suites, raising the seating capacity to 40,000+, and yes, will include some sort of parking deck facility. The Cameron project is nothing near as drastic and I have no details and has nothing to do with the floor or lower bowl seating. At this point, the dreams are waiting for the donors' pocketbooks, corporate and private, to catch up with the dreams, so it might be a while. The athletic department is being very realistic. But there are 10 smaller construction projects currently ongoing, such as the baseball stadium upgrade, that are funded to the tune of ~$20 million.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

*sigh*
    Heck, I'm still lamenting the loss of the Dope Shop and the feeling of wet bell bottom pant hems dragging through the waterfall at the bottom of the union stairs on a rainy day.
    And the root beer milkshakes.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    But there are 10 smaller construction projects currently ongoing, such as the baseball stadium upgrade, that are funded to the tune of ~$20 million.
    I wish they would use the Durham Bulls Athletic Park more, I really enjoyed catching Duke games there last season

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Heck, I'm still lamenting the loss of the Dope Shop and the feeling of wet bell bottom pant hems dragging through the waterfall at the bottom of the union stairs on a rainy day.
    The Dope Shop is no longer there?? Damn, I guess I need to get back to the campus more often. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    The Dope Shop is gone ?!?

Man, you've just destroyed an otherwise great night. Dope Dogs were the Breakfast of Champions back in the day -- two of those, sitting on the bench, watching the morning unfold . . . .

But I was an East Campus guy, so take it with a grain of salt.

Didn't mean to sound like a growling old timer... I guess change is not easy to accept. I suppose as long as K is there, what is Cameron will remain unchanged.

Y'all are kidding, right?

The Dope Shop closed when the Bryan Center opened in the 1981-82 school year.

Also gone since at least 1985:
    Bat's
    The Ivy Room
    Parker's

Y'all are funny.

*sigh*
    Well, you don't go to Cameron to watch teevee either, but that didn't stop Duke from putting in a new Jumbotron (four, actually) a couple years back.

*sigh*
    Yikes! Every time I hear the words "Cameron" and "upgrade" in the same sentence I get very nervous. What's wrong with the store in Wilson? Or the BC?

Quote Originally Posted by dukebsbll14 View Post
    Yikes! Every time I hear the words "Cameron" and "upgrade" in the same sentence I get very nervous. What's wrong with the store in Wilson? Or the BC?
    Yeah, no kidding. Here are some "upgrades" they've made to Wrigley Field so they can play a football game there. Not photoshopped.

*sigh*
    ...But you can already buy merchandise in Cameron...this will most likely just make it a lot easier for people. Pretty sure they're not putting it at midcourt, I imagine its something you won't really notice unless you're trying to go into it.

Dope Shop food

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The Dope Shop is gone ?!?

Man, you've just destroyed an otherwise great night. Dope Dogs were the Breakfast of Champions back in the day -- two of those, sitting on the bench, watching the morning unfold . . . .

But I was an East Campus guy, so take it with a grain of salt.
    I still have fond memories of their REAL milkshakes.....

(One of the benefits of living in all-freshman quad nearby.)

k

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post

Bat's
    The Ivy Room
    Parker's

Y'all are funny.
    In the late 1980s, there was something called "The Dope Shop" on East next to (or in the same bldg, as I recall) as the post office, but I gather it was not the place that folks here are fondly recalling. No real milkshakes or anything that I recall. I do think it was the first place I ever saw a bagel: some Northern co-ed with wet hair, eating one and washing it down with a Diet Coke at 8 am, probably a rainy morning, and she looked a little stressed ... not a pretty sight.

Was Parker's the smallish place on the eastern edge of downtown? That was still around in the late 1980s as well (or at least a bit after 1985).

As long as the floor and seating bowl remain relatively the same, I have no problems with expansion and improvement for Cameron. I trust that the administration can look around the triangle at UNC and NCSU for lessons on how to not screw up a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    In the late 1980s, there was something called "The Dope Shop" on East next to (or in the same bldg, as I recall) as the post office, but I gather it was not the place that folks here are fondly recalling. No real milkshakes or anything that I recall. I do think it was the first place I ever saw a bagel: some Northern co-ed with wet hair, eating one and washing it down with a Diet Coke at 8 am, probably a rainy morning, and she looked a little stressed ... not a pretty sight.

Was Parker's the smallish place on the eastern edge of downtown? That was still around in the late 1980s as well (or at least a bit after 1985).
    There was a Dope Shop in East in the location you mentioned for many years. When I lived on East for four years, the menu was very much the same as was offered at the Dope on West. Changes emerged in the menus over the years before the two eateries and social gathering places disappeared into our collective memories.

Both locations could make a great chili cheese burger... it wasn't a menu item when I began to request it in the East Dope in the late 60's, but it eventually found its way to a place on one of the white cards with blue stripes which promoted menu items.

Waaaaaah!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post

Bat's
    The Ivy Room
    Parker's

Y'all are funny.
    Now you've gone and made me cry.

I miss Mr. Parker & his 'cue.
    And eating the bad pizzas at Bat's.
    And the chocolate milk shakes at the Dope Shop (west campus).
    And the Long Island Ice Teas at the hidden bar at the Ivy Room.

Why do people even go to Duke any more?