Page 52 of 90 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1785
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The Kyrie Toe issue may be causing our team to lose some focus. It may have been doing so for weeks. This leads me to believe that Kyrie may indeed come back. It's just not like Coach K to leave an issue unresolved if he could resolve it one way or another.

That's all I've got. It just makes sense to me that there is a real possibility that Kyrie will be back this year. Coach K has always preached the importance of great team chemistry. Would he risk losing that if the chances of reward aren't possible - even probable?
    I agree, and this is what's beginning to frustrate me about the situation. The team does seem more and more unfocused recently, and this seems to be the only possible reason. Why can't they just put the issue to rest if it's over? I don't think future opponents are distracting themselves preparing for a possible Kyrie return, so that's not a reason to hold out.
    I'm gonna be really frustrated if this drags out for the rest of the season and if we make it to the Final Four, we're still in the dark about Kyrie's return. I have to agree with you that Coach K wouldn't allow this to be a possible distraction if he didn't think Kyrie was coming back at some point... he would've already squashed it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Why can't they just put the issue to rest if it's over?
    One reason might be the impact it could have on Duke's NCAA tournament seed. I suspect that if the staff expects him to be ready to play during the NCAA tournament, they will send that message out before Selection Sunday (so that Duke is seeded with the assumption that he'll be back). It may be the difference between a 1 and 2 seed. If he won't be ready during the NCAA tournament, they may announce something after the NCAA brackets are out but before our first tournament game to eliminate the distraction. Or, they may just say nothing at all. Ever.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

The team does seem more and more unfocused recently, and this seems to be the only possible reason.
    No offense, but nonsense.

No evidence exists that this is a distraction for the team.

Further, we have no right to know any more than we know.

K has been consistent and sufficient in his characterization of the situation.

IMO, we would all be better off if we simply took Coach K at his word.

At first I liked this thread...

Hi,

Now, I am starting to not like it one bit. It has turned mean-spirited against Kyrie (not everyone, but a few). This thread was supposed to be about the health of the toe (and maybe a little humor along the way).

GO DUKE!

The team does seem more and more unfocused recently, and this seems to be the only possible reason.
    Yeah. Definitely. No way that a group of 18-22 year olds could lose focus over the course of a season. Especially when last year they reached the ultimate goal. Yeah... no other possible reason that they might be unfocused.

And they couldn't have anything else on their minds outside of basketball either.

The unpossibility of the situation is mind boggling.
    WWJDD?

You know

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    One reason might be the impact it could have on Duke's NCAA tournament seed. I suspect that if the staff expects him to be ready to play during the NCAA tournament, they will send that message out before Selection Sunday (so that Duke is seeded with the assumption that he'll be back). It may be the difference between a 1 and 2 seed. If he won't be ready during the NCAA tournament, they may announce something after the NCAA brackets are out but before our first tournament game to eliminate the distraction. Or, they may just say nothing at all. Ever.
    I really don't expect Duke to tailor the message for the benefit of NCAA seeding. Just don't see Coach K doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I really don't expect Duke to tailor the message for the benefit of NCAA seeding. Just don't see Coach K doing that.
    I don't think he would tailor the substance of the message for the benefit of seeding, but he might adjust the timing of an announcement in a way that does not disadvantage the team.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    This is actually the reason I know Ozzie's contention to be incorrect. Kyrie has let it be know that this is his decision, not his Dad's. And while he will of course listen to all parties involved, after receiving all of the information from the Duke doctors, trainers, etc that he will come to the decision on his own.

His dad is being a dad, and of course wants Kyrie to err on the side of caution, but this contention that he is "shutting Kyrie down" is the end result of a game of telephone, where stories get contorted the more they're told.
    So you're telling me there's a chance...YEAH!

(Sorry, I know this line has been hijacked from another thread, I just can't remember which)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

I hope Kyrie's toe gets better!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    That's not fair. KI helped Duke jumpstart the season in incredible fashion. Since he went down, he's been one of the biggest cheerleaders on the bench. And I think many would agree that he's had a positive impact on Nolan's game. He's at practices and games being helpful. It would be much more fair and appropriate to consider him a valuable role player who has helped the team to a 19-3 record over the last 22 games. Everyone on the team can contribute to winning in one way or another. Yes, KI's role is vastly different now than it was at the start of the season. Under similar circumstances, others might have receded into the background. But not KI. Whatever his role this season, he most definitely is and has been "here."
    My point is that he will have played no meaningful games at Duke, so it will be hard to see him as a Duke guy. It would be more than Lebron showing up at Kentucky and talking them up, but it is hard to say that he is a great player from Duke at the next level when he only played 8 games.

Furthermore, his impact is positive in all ways he can help, but I am speaking of the, "knowing what you've got" mentality. We started the season with knowledge of what we were going to be. We were going to be a team with the most dynamic point guard in the country, and that was going to help us run people out of the gym. The year before, we knew we didn't have a "true" PG at the beginning of the season. I think that helped us. We always knew what we would be at our best, but with this situation, we haven't developed any style as a team. From game to game, it is confusing to tell what this team does. It is a question of identity, not talent, and I think that could be a problem we are facing now.

As for the potential for him to leave after a year, I expected that, but I wanted that year to be a year of him playing, not a month and a week of playing and five months on the bench. It is certainly not his fault, and I love Kyrie. Kyrie is one of my favorite players/people, but the experience would ring a little hollow if it ends with 8 games (no matter how great a teammate he is; I acknowledge and definitely appreciate that element of Kyrie). I think it would be hard to correlate his success at the next level as having much, if anything, to do with Duke at all or with him being a key figure for Duke other than choosing us and being a great backer of the program that happens to be one of the best players in the league. That is all I mean by my post.

This has now become a Seinfeld episode. "The Toe."
    Only Jerry and George could possibly make more out of nothing.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    My point is that he will have played no meaningful games at Duke, so it will be hard to see him as a Duke guy. It would be more than Lebron showing up at Kentucky and talking them up, but it is hard to say that he is a great player from Duke at the next level when he only played 8 games.

Furthermore, his impact is positive in all ways he can help, but I am speaking of the, "knowing what you've got" mentality. We started the season with knowledge of what we were going to be. We were going to be a team with the most dynamic point guard in the country, and that was going to help us run people out of the gym. The year before, we knew we didn't have a "true" PG at the beginning of the season. I think that helped us. We always knew what we would be at our best, but with this situation, we haven't developed any style as a team. From game to game, it is confusing to tell what this team does. It is a question of identity, not talent, and I think that could be a problem we are facing now.

As for the potential for him to leave after a year, I expected that, but I wanted that year to be a year of him playing, not a month and a week of playing and five months on the bench. It is certainly not his fault, and I love Kyrie. Kyrie is one of my favorite players/people, but the experience would ring a little hollow if it ends with 8 games (no matter how great a teammate he is; I acknowledge and definitely appreciate that element of Kyrie). I think it would be hard to correlate his success at the next level as having much, if anything, to do with Duke at all or with him being a key figure for Duke other than choosing us and being a great backer of the program that happens to be one of the best players in the league. That is all I mean by my post.
    I respectfully disagree. I think he did play 8 very meaningful games at Duke. I do not see how his potential success at the next level has anything to do with this. And I coudln't disagree more with the assertion that it will be hard to see him as a Duke guy. To me, he is the epitomy of what a "Duke guy" should be. Faced with adversity, he has held his head high and done all that he can to support his teammates. He should be proud. And we should be proud that he is now part of the Duke basketball tree... forever.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Spot On "Doc"

I respectfully disagree. I think he did play 8 very meaningful games at Duke. I do not see how his potential success at the next level has anything to do with this. And I coudln't disagree more with the assertion that it will be hard to see him as a Duke guy. To me, he is the epitomy of what a "Duke guy" should be. Faced with adversity, he has held his head high and done all that he can to support his teammates. He should be proud. And we should be proud that he is now part of the Duke basketball tree... forever.
    Could not agree more..Double Amen. Kyrie has a very special place in my heart from now on. I wish him only the very best.

I understand and I can agree in part with what you are saying. I love Kyrie and am proud that he chose here. He is a great guy and has the heart of a Duke guy, but I was simply speaking of the feeling you get when you see Scheyer or Kyle or Nolan or even Boozer or Dunleavy or Jay Williams (I could go on, but anyway). You still see them as wearing a Duke uniform no matter where you see them. I see your side too.

I agree, and this is what's beginning to frustrate me about the situation. The team does seem more and more unfocused recently, and this seems to be the only possible reason. Why can't they just put the issue to rest if it's over? I don't think future opponents are distracting themselves preparing for a possible Kyrie return, so that's not a reason to hold out.
    I'm gonna be really frustrated if this drags out for the rest of the season and if we make it to the Final Four, we're still in the dark about Kyrie's return. I have to agree with you that Coach K wouldn't allow this to be a possible distraction if he didn't think Kyrie was coming back at some point... he would've already squashed it.
    I don't see lack of focus at all. I see a team that is focusing more on their defense near the end of the season to the detriment of the offensive side of the ball. Our interior defense has been pretty porous throughout the season, but we've definitely been clamping down more as of late. We're getting better on defense, but we're missing shots. We'll be fine by the end of the year. This team is definitely growing. And if we were to add Kyrie to the mix, the sky's the limit.

I am showing my ignorance here, but is KI still getting MRI's done? Would there be any reason for him to still be getting MRI's done?

Quote Originally Posted by gcashwell View Post
    I am showing my ignorance here, but is KI still getting MRI's done? Would there be any reason for him to still be getting MRI's done?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the ligaments in the toe are healed completely. (so no reason to have an MRI) It is more of a building strength thing then a healing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Okay, woosh. Am I so over-the-hill that I haven't heard this new term "amazeballs"? I hesitated to even ask. Pardon me while I snicker like a teen.
    It's a relatively new term and I have no idea how old you are. lol. I'm approaching over the hill age. Class of '02.

Quote Originally Posted by thewoosh31 View Post
    It's a relatively new term and I have no idea how old you are. lol. I'm approaching over the hill age. Class of '02.
    I'm '04, and I've never heard that word either. I believe I'm supposed to say #slangfail, or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm '04, and I've never heard that word either. I believe I'm supposed to say #slangfail, or something like that?
    well i can tell you that it's legit. i've seen my friends use it on facebook many times. and if you haven't, you can start using it and spread the gospel of amazeballs.

For example, the way that Kryie splits defenders and slashes to the basket is 'amazeballs'.