Page 30 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    I love that OPTOEMISM!
    I'm just throwing this out there, just to see what people think, so please don't accept this as my thinking...
    Do you think the coaching staff would decide to bring him back for Wednesday's game because we lost last night? That is, IF he is heathy, of course. Maybe they were aiming for ACC tourney, but given the loss, do you think that may play a factor?
    No. The loss is irrelevant with respect to the decision as to when he comes back. When he is ready to play, he'll be back. Whether we win or lose while he's out won't play into that decision.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I am with you, the wait is killing me!
    "The waiting is the hardest part
    Every day you see one more card
    You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
    The waiting is the hardest part."

-- Tom Petty

I love that OPTOEMISM!
    I'm just throwing this out there, just to see what people think, so please don't accept this as my thinking...
    Do you think the coaching staff would decide to bring him back for Wednesday's game because we lost last night? That is, IF he is healthy, of course. Maybe they were aiming for ACC tourney, but given the loss, do you think that may play a factor?
    Everyone involved has said that they will do what's best for Irving long-term and won't jeopardize his long-term future just for short-term wins. He'll play when he's healthy enough to play and not be at an increased risk of re-injury. The loss yesterday is irrelevant.

If he's healthy enough to play Wednesday, he'll play Wednesday. If not, he won't. Saturday's loss has no impact on either of the previous two statements.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Everyone involved has said that they will do what's best for Irving long-term and won't jeopardize his long-term future just for short-term wins. He'll play when he's healthy enough to play and not be at an increased risk of re-injury. The loss yesterday is irrelevant.

If he's healthy enough to play Wednesday, he'll play Wednesday. If not, he won't. Saturday's loss has no impact on either of the previous two statements.
    I agree with you 100%. But, there is a little thought in the back of my head that wonders if they have been resting him just to be safe. Last night's game exposed some weaknesses in being able to run an effective offense at the end of the game. Kyrie would have definitely helped. I know our coaching staff is phenomenal and would do only what is in Kyrie's best interest. I was just thinking out loud even though I don't really agree with my thoughts (my OCD is getting the best me...as you can tell, it's almost March and my basketball obsession is at its all-time high)! Anything and everything that can be discussed about Duke is going through my brain!

Last night's game exposed some weaknesses in being able to run an effective offense at the end of the game. Kyrie would have definitely helped.
    We clearly did not play our best in the closing minutes against Va Tech, but I do not think any weaknesses were "exposed." Frankly, I don't understand why people use the word "exposed" every time a team performs below expectations in a particular game. I do agree, however, Kyrie may have helped, if for no other reason than he can get to the hoop any time he wants to, and in a tight game easy baskets are at a premium.

But just because we might have won the game if Kyrie had played doesn't seem to me to be a justification for playing him when we otherwise wouldn't have played him. That particular skill of Kyrie's will be at our disposal when he's ready and not before. If it comes before the Sweet 16, personally I'll be thrilled.

Nope

I love that OPTOEMISM!
    Do you think the coaching staff would decide to bring him back for Wednesday's game because we lost last night? That is, IF he is healthy, of course. Maybe they were aiming for ACC tourney, but given the loss, do you think that may play a factor?
    I'm firmly convinced that he'll be back when he's ready medically, and that's the only factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    We clearly did not play our best in the closing minutes against Va Tech, but I do not think any weaknesses were "exposed." Frankly, I don't understand why people use the word "exposed" every time a team performs below expectations in a particular game. I do agree, however, Kyrie may have helped, if for no other reason than he can get to the hoop any time he wants to, and in a tight game easy baskets are at a premium.

But just because we might have won the game if Kyrie had played doesn't seem to me to be a justification for playing him when we otherwise wouldn't have played him. That particular skill of Kyrie's will be at our disposal when he's ready and not before. If it comes before the Sweet 16, personally I'll be thrilled.
    We broke down mentally as much as anything last night. Ryan K was cold and Singler didn't play on the offensive end like Singler typically can and does. Curry couldn't have had a worse nite if he would have tried. The injury was a real issue, no doubt, but I also have to believe Kyrie learned a lot on the bench watching the flow of the game. We know he could play the physical part of the game, but I truly believe he gained mentally from it.

Just thinking out loud, Kedsy, just thinking out loud! This is the madness that occurs in my brain after a loss, hence the reason I no longer coach. I am not trying to be a "wanker".
    If the term exposed doesn't work for you, what do you suggest? I didn't graduate from Duke so my vocab isn't up to par (and please know I'm kidding with you).

I think in all 3 of our losses, we had some aspects of our game that we haven't executed like we should. So, I guess when I say exposed, what I really mean is we didn't execute...but in a sense that does show other teams what they can do to beat us which leads me back to that word exposed.

I think in all 3 of our losses, we had some aspects of our game that we haven't executed like we should. So, I guess when I say exposed, what I really mean is we didn't execute...but in a sense that does show other teams what they can do to beat us which leads me back to that word exposed.
    I wasn't intending to be harsh. A lot of people use "exposed" as code for "the team can easily be beaten," and I think the term is way overused and is inappropriate in describing any of Duke's games this season.

Personally I didn't notice anything in last night's game that would show other teams how to beat us, other than possibly getting a lead against us with two minutes to play, and that's sort of self-evident. If you did see something, then maybe I'm wrong. What did Va Tech do that other teams could learn from?

I wasn't intending to be harsh. A lot of people use "exposed" as code for "the team can easily be beaten," and I think the term is way overused and is inappropriate in describing any of Duke's games this season.

Personally I didn't notice anything in last night's game that would show other teams how to beat us, other than possibly getting a lead against us with two minutes to play, and that's sort of self-evident. If you did see something, then maybe I'm wrong. What did Va Tech do that other teams could learn from?
    I know you weren't, Kedsy! I really like discussing this kind of stuff, but often times the computer takes away from the tongue and cheek reactions that I have!

Good question about what VA tech did that other teams could learn from. That's something I'll have to think about. But, at face value, I think their 2-3 zone at the end was key and not just because we weren't hitting our shots. (Did you see Kyle huffing and puffing at the end of the game when VT was at the line? That boy was SPENT! No wonder he couldn't find the rim.) They extended the 2-3 zone so it was aggressive. Their bigs stepped up to the perimeter and crowded the foul line extended area because they knew we weren't going to look down low. Nolan had difficulty attacking it because of the pressure up top. Some teams have a tendency to play relaxed in the zone...VT was aggressive.

I can't remember because I was shaking like a leaf, but did we have anyone at the high post, or flash high? Ryan wasn't hitting his shots, but he could have made some good passes out of the high post to get the defense out of position.

Ryan

I know you weren't, Kedsy! I really like discussing this kind of stuff, but often times the computer takes away from the tongue and cheek reactions that I have!

Good question about what VA tech did that other teams could learn from. That's something I'll have to think about. But, at face value, I think their 2-3 zone at the end was key and not just because we weren't hitting our shots. (Did you see Kyle huffing and puffing at the end of the game when VT was at the line? That boy was SPENT! No wonder he couldn't find the rim.) They extended the 2-3 zone so it was aggressive. Their bigs stepped up to the perimeter and crowded the foul line extended area because they knew we weren't going to look down low. Nolan had difficulty attacking it because of the pressure up top. Some teams have a tendency to play relaxed in the zone...VT was aggressive.

I can't remember because I was shaking like a leaf, but did we have anyone at the high post, or flash high? Ryan wasn't hitting his shots, but he could have made some good passes out of the high post to get the defense out of position.
    Did Ryan even try a jumper from the free throw line? I can't remember a single one.

There are just certain games that Duke goes into each season that I think are very dangerous. Florida State was one I knew would be rough, and this was another. Anytime you go on the road with a desperate team needing a quality win awaits you, and you have that number 1 beside your name...it's going to be a dog fight. I personally don't feel V Tech put together a game plan that other teams can learn from. It was an electric, hostile environment where Duke just didn't execute down the stretch.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Time out folks. Get back on topic please.

Let's stay on the condition of the "Toe"! I have not checked DBP yet but the video is supposed to be out tonight. Here's to hoping we see the "Toe" blowing past a helpless defender on the court soon!!

The DBP Twitter acctount says the video is nothing earth shattering but very informative about the rehab process, and will "most likely" be out late tonight because several people have to see it before it comes out. These people are very busy according to Duke Blue Planet. We can only hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Time out folks. Get back on topic please.

Let's stay on the condition of the "Toe"! I have not checked DBP yet but the video is supposed to be out tonight. Here's to hoping we see the "Toe" blowing past a helpless defender on the court soon!!

: - ) That little sidebar was a result of a Kyrie question. It was a nice little distraction while we sit and wait...and wait...and wait to hear any TOE news. I hope we see a Wed. return!

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    The DBP Twitter acctount says the video is nothing earth shattering but very informative about the rehab process, and will "most likely" be out late tonight because several people have to see it before it comes out. These people are very busy according to Duke Blue Planet. We can only hope...
    Patience is not a virtue I am blessed with an abundance of...

I wish they would hurry the heck up and post it!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Realistically neither the Clemson game nor the UNC game are in play for his return.

You'd have to think we'd hear about him practicing full-speed for at least a week before he plays in a game, and unless I've missed something, we haven't heard that yet.

So, same as always. Status quo is still cautious optimism, but don't expect too much, and it's very possible KI is done for this season.

I think Duke has adjusted well without him and will be a very tough out regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Realistically neither the Clemson game nor the UNC game are in play for his return.

You'd have to think we'd hear about him practicing full-speed for at least a week before he plays in a game, and unless I've missed something, we haven't heard that yet.

So, same as always. Status quo is still cautious optimism, but don't expect too much, and it's very possible KI is done for this season.
    Practices are closed to the public so there's no way anybody could know one way or the other unless they're on the team or staff. I'm sure they've been told not to release such information.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Practices are closed to the public so there's no way anybody could know one way or the other unless they're on the team or staff. I'm sure they've been told not to release such information.
    That's possible, but I think odds are, as soon as Kyrie completes his first practice, we'd hear about it right away. From him. On twitter. Or from some other source/leak. In this day and age...

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    That's possible, but I think odds are, as soon as Kyrie completes his first practice, we'd hear about it right away. From him. On twitter. Or from some other source/leak. In this day and age...
    Not really. Coach K runs a tight ship, I doubt anyone will risk anything just to be the first to break the news that KI practiced regardless of the medium, be it twitter, facebook or off the record to the news.