Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    i have no idea about his rehab, but i would venture to say they probably have him in the pool a good deal...low impact, great cardio....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Kyrie tweeted that he Nolan are getting in an early morning workout. Now I know that's not huge news but I wanted to bump this thread back to the first page.
    Now I for one would love to know what this workout entails. Is he walking on his foot without any aid? If so, how much weight is he putting on it? I wouldn't expect him to be jogging (or running) on it for several (or many) days yet.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Ozzie, do you want me to go over to the practice facility and give a first hand report back? and take pictures again?

WE need Kyrie for the Tar Heel game.... i know he isnt ready. But its just wishful thinking.

from Seth davis' column today

And now for your weekly Kyrie Irving update. Last Friday, when doctors removed the cast that was protecting Irving's injured toe, some people interpreted it as a breakthrough. It was a milestone, but it was not a breakthrough. This step has long been part of the plan, so the only notable news is that doctors did not push back the date. From what I hear they are encouraged by the way Irving is healing, but he still has to undergo a full month of rehabilitation before anyone has a realistic idea of whether he'll be able to play this season.

Irving has been doing a lot of strength work the last few weeks, so now he has to work on his legs and that foot. The situation remains very fluid and hard to predict because Irving is basically suffering from turf toe, which is primarily a football injury, so there's very little precedent. It's even more difficult to predict what will happen because Mike Krzyzewski keeps insisting Irving will not return this season -- not because he really believes it, but because Coach K doesn't want his team to hinder its development based on that hope. He did the same thing when Elton Brand broke his foot as a freshman. All season long, Krzyzewski insisted Brand would not come back, yet he was in uniform on the last weekend of the regular season. So the bottom line is, I still do not anticipate Irving coming back, but there remains a slim chance that he and the team will have a very interesting decision to make around the start of the ACC tournament.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1DIpgoBfy

Kyrie in his Own Words

From GoDuke.com:
    http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b88Mv

(even has a clip of the cast being removed!)

The video at www.goduke.com was great. It demonstrates what a great young man he truly is. All we can do is continue to hope the rehab goes well and he'll be back in uniform at the end of the year.

Hey, he said he was going to be here until he wins a title. I'm willing to wait another season for that. I really think the smart thing for his future both at Duke and beyond is to shut him down for the season and concentrate on the rehab. I'd rather have him 100% next season with zero chance of hurting it worse than push him back too early and risk his career for the dubious possible chance of another trophy. Everybody got a ring last year. Besides, the team is really starting to gel without him. There aren't really any dominant teams out there. We've got a shot, even without him.

Of course, if the doctors decide later that he IS 100% healed with no chance of hurting it worse, then I say, "Welcome back!"

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Hey, he said he was going to be here until he wins a title. I'm willing to wait another season for that. I really think the smart thing for his future both at Duke and beyond is to shut him down for the season and concentrate on the rehab.
    What if we win the championship this year?

I think what you stated is what Duke staff are doing at this time. Shut him down and rehab ...

Is it a HIPAA or other rules violation for anyone who has seen KI workout these last two days to divulge any info?

I wonder when he will actually set foot on the court, even if it's just to practice foul shots?

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    Is it a HIPAA or other rules violation for anyone who has seen KI workout these last two days to divulge any info?
    Not HIPAA. HIPAA, while dense and complex, essentially applies to "covered entities" which are defined primarily to include health plans, health care clearinghouses, such as billing services and community health information systems, and health care providers that transmit health care data in a way that is regulated by HIPAA. I don't believe it covers guys hanging around a gym.

So. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Not HIPAA. HIPAA, while dense and complex, essentially applies to "covered entities" which are defined primarily to include health plans, health care clearinghouses, such as billing services and community health information systems, and health care providers that transmit health care data in a way that is regulated by HIPAA. I don't believe it covers guys hanging around a gym.

So. Anyone?
    Your right, I am a Systems Administrator in a health care facility. HIPAA only applies to health care workers. I had to sign off on HIPAA even though I just work with the network.

I know its not going to happen...

but would would ole roy do if Kyrie was dressed out tomorrow? Would he faint right then and there....Gosh darn heck...would all Carolina fans just start jumping off bridges? Again I know its not going to happen but a man can dream big!

Quote Originally Posted by millerecu View Post
    but would would ole roy do if Kyrie was dressed out tomorrow? Would he faint right then and there....Gosh darn heck...would all Carolina fans just start jumping off bridges? Again I know its not going to happen but a man can dream big!
    Actually, I think K would be the more likely one to faint.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedBlue View Post
    What if we win the championship this year?
    If this happens, he's prob the #1 pick and he should go (if he wants to). . . I mean, if 15 games is all we get out of him, but he leads us to a 5th championship, who's to say it didn't work out perfectly?

did he really say that

that video doesn't work for me...does he really say he's coming back until he wins a championship??

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Hey, he said he was going to be here until he wins a title. I'm willing to wait another season for that. I really think the smart thing for his future both at Duke and beyond is to shut him down for the season and concentrate on the rehab. I'd rather have him 100% next season with zero chance of hurting it worse than push him back too early and risk his career for the dubious possible chance of another trophy. Everybody got a ring last year. Besides, the team is really starting to gel without him. There aren't really any dominant teams out there. We've got a shot, even without him.

Of course, if the doctors decide later that he IS 100% healed with no chance of hurting it worse, then I say, "Welcome back!"

Chris Collins was interviewed on Charlotte's 610 AM this morning (the Mack Attack program) and, while the majority of the interview was about the upcoming Carolina game and the development of the team in general, he was asked about Kyrie.

Not much new info. He basically said that it was already February, it's a long rehab process to get back to being ready to play, that the clock was against it happening this year. When asked if the coaching staff was repeating that he probably wouldn't be back partially to reinforce to the team that they had to learn to win with what they have available now, he admitted that that might be a small part of it, but basically the coaching staff was also working on the expectation that it was unlikely he would make it back.

So, no new news. Collins was, as always, an excellent and classy interview.

Let the speculation begin! Here is what KI twitted on Feb 7th.

Early workout with my bro @NdotSmitty...
    8:07 AM Feb 7th via Echofon

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post

I wonder when he will actually set foot on the court, even if it's just to practice foul shots?
    I would find it hard to believe he hasn't been out on the court all along shooting some close range shots. If the cast had his toe immobilized, why not?

After tearing my ACL and having surgery, I was out shooting lay-ups, close range shots about a month afterwards, but that's because the surgery was so drastic. After having it scoped, I was out shooting 2 days later.

Now, I know nothing about toe injuries, but I would think he'd be shooting based on what I have seen with other injuries. Anyone know anything different?

Have I missed something regarding Irving EVER indicating he was of the one-and-done mind set? I mean, aside from a few semi-paranoid speculations on this board and idle gossip on ESPN?

Maybe I'm too pollyannaish but from what I have seen of this young man - his commitment to his team, his health, his faith, his intellect - all these things point to a young man destined to be a Senior Class candidate in 2014.

Call me naive, but I don't think NBA money means as much to Kyrie as the Duke experience. And I think this injury, well, the recovery process, shows that Duke is the best place to deal with worst cases.

Which brings up a point being ignored by the media and basketball world: Krzyzewski's program is inherently geared toward the good of the student athlete. And the program isn't just competitive, it is the standard by which other elite programs measure themselves.

Take it from me, a Kentucky fan watching Calipayme drive us toward vacated sweet sixteen appearances, count your blessings, blue devils. You've much to be proud of over there in Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    Have I missed something regarding Irving EVER indicating he was of the one-and-done mind set? I mean, aside from a few semi-paranoid speculations on this board and idle gossip on ESPN?

Maybe I'm too pollyannaish but from what I have seen of this young man - his commitment to his team, his health, his faith, his intellect - all these things point to a young man destined to be a Senior Class candidate in 2014.

Call me naive, but I don't think NBA money means as much to Kyrie as the Duke experience. And I think this injury, well, the recovery process, shows that Duke is the best place to deal with worst cases.

Which brings up a point being ignored by the media and basketball world: Krzyzewski's program is inherently geared toward the good of the student athlete. And the program isn't just competitive, it is the standard by which other elite programs measure themselves.

Take it from me, a Kentucky fan watching Calipayme drive us toward vacated sweet sixteen appearances, count your blessings, blue devils. You've much to be proud of over there in Durham.
    Good to see you around these parts again, Ken. Your views are always welcome.

As for Kyrie and the NBA Draft, I don't think he has addressed it in any way since arriving at Duke but many of us feel there is a good chance he will leave based upon his draft stock. Even with the injury causing him to miss almost the entire season, Kyrie is rightly projected as one of the top 3 picks in the upcoming draft. It is exceedingly rare to see a kid turn down that kind of draft position to come back.

It happens, but not often. Many felt Ed Davis was a mid-lottery pick after his freshman campaign and he came back to Carolina for another year. Some felt Mason Plumlee could have gone in the lottery a year ago, but he was so raw and knew he needed so much development that he came back to Duke. Blake Griffin would have been a lote lottery pick after his freshman campaign but came back to Oklahoma and turned into the #1 pick in the draft the next season.

But none of those guys had stock quite as high as Kyrie. They were all going to be drafted based on raw size and athleticism in a big man, not on NBA readiness. They al would have spent a year or more on an NBA bench developing and figuring out the game. They decided it would be more fun and allow them to develop better by coming back to school.

Kyrie is somewhat different in that he is largely seen as NBA ready RIGHT NOW. He is not a raw, athletic post player. He is a guard with sublime skills and quickness. There is a difference.

Look, he could decide to come back. No one outside of his family really knows what he is thinking. Some say the injury has left him with unfinished business at Duke and he will come back to play alongside his buddy Austin Rivers. Some say the injury has put fear in him that he might never get to cash in on his tremendous talents and he will go to the NBA instead of risking further injury that could end his career before it ever gets started (though there are insurance policies that can take care of much of that risk).

We simply will not know the answer to this until mid-April, I suspect. It is encouraging that, by all signs, Kyrie remains engaged as a Duke student and is still attending classes. Plenty of kids make up their mind about the NBA and then stop going to class, essentially giving them no option except entering the draft. That is not Kyrie.

When the season is over, I am sure he will sit down with his family and with Coach K and figure out what he wants to do and what is best to do. Whatever he decides, whoever he is playing for, I will root for him like mad next season.

-Jason "I just hope we get to see more than 7 games of him playing for Duke" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?