Page 14 of 90 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    I don't think that Kyrie or anyone knows what he is going to do next year. I say that because, I think a lot of his decision will be determined by how the rest of our season plays out.

He truly idolizes Nolan Smith. Nolan could have gone pro last year but came back. Why? Because he wanted a shot at a SECOND title and being a leader in his senior year. So I think it is fair to say, that winning the first title was a lot of fun for him and Kyle!!

Now, will that have an impact on KI's decision to go or stay? I think it will be a factor. KI is obviously enjoying the ride so far. Say KI is out for the remainder of the year and IF we get to the FF or with some luck win the NC, will KI see that he can have a chance in doing that if he stays and that be enough to keep him? Don't know.

Watch the Duke Blue Planet video's and see how much camaraderie there is between KI and AD, NS, MP2, SC, et. al., and watch how much fun KI is having on the sidelines. To me, I could easily see him putting off becoming a millionaire for another year to do this again, and be the main attraction. He is enjoying himself like no other kid I can remember, so it would not be a shocker for him to come back IMO...

But I tend to not look at the money side of issues as much, to me money is always going to be secondary. I do not know how spritual KI is, I do see he wears a large cross, so I would encourage him to pray and listen. God will make it clear to KI what His plans are for him. I have had to re-learn that lesson several times in my life, so I know that it may be very difficult for an 18 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincetaylor View Post
    I thought this thread was supposed to be just about Kyrie playing this year. The mods can't even stay on topic.
    For clarification's sake, if a post is related to the matter of hand we tend to let it flow. Just as a conversation may have subject breaks, so do threads.

Who woulda thought someone's toe would have so much impact on the NBA and the college basketball landscape?

Coming off of a foot injury myself, it took me a little longer to bounce back at the age of 36 then I would have imagined. Even when I thought I was 100%, I would usually find out months later that I wasn't b/c I'm still just remembering to do some things on the court instinctively - some of it due to fear of re-injury.

Now at 19? I honestly can't ever remember getting hurt but I know that youth has a reckless abandon that only subsides with wisdom. I am of the opinion that a certain person will be back on the court this year so how long has that cast been off again?

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    I agree it maybe selfish but if he leaves Duke without playing again I will be pretty pissed and I will respect him still I wouldn't consider him a Duke guy in the NBA.
    I totally disagree with this statement. I have watched every game this year, and that kid is what Duke basketball is all about. Instead of being another Jay Cutler pouting on the sidelines, that kid is involved in every aspect of the team. If you've watched the Duke Hoop episodes, he loves his teammates and it appears that he enjoys the college life. He has fun and is making the most of his experience.

I have this gut feeling we will see him next year in a Duke uniform. His reactions and attitude make me believe this. If he were disengaged, I'd say he was going pro. Of course I'm just a lowly school teacher and have no insight other than what I see on the big screen!

GO DUKE! GET WELL KYRIE!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    I totally disagree with this statement. I have watched every game this year, and that kid is what Duke basketball is all about. Instead of being another Jay Cutler pouting on the sidelines, that kid is involved in every aspect of the team. If you've watched the Duke Hoop episodes, he loves his teammates and it appears that he enjoys the college life. He has fun and is making the most of his experience.

I have this gut feeling we will see him next year in a Duke uniform. His reactions and attitude make me believe this. If he were disengaged, I'd say he was going pro. Of course I'm just a lowly school teacher and have no insight other than what I see on the big screen!

GO DUKE! GET WELL KYRIE!
    I agree with you. If Kyrie had been healthy this year he would've made major and likely record-breaking contributions to Duke. He was injured, and he's handled the injury and been the best teammate he can be in the meanwhile. It's not his fault he was injured. If he leaves after this year I definitely consider him a Duke guy, but I have a feeling he stays around another year.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    No, he seemed pretty happy and we were sitting about ten feet from him. It's also not Cameron, so our guys keep it cool on the sidelines. He was up, cheering and laughing during several good plays, I assure you.
    He winked at me!!!!
    You've been "Kyrie-winkled"! Not to get all flowery about it.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Kyrie did not appear to be his chipper self when the cameras showed him.
    What game were you watching last night? If you were watching the Nolan cam Kyrie went over & hugged Nolan and was giving him advice.

Now about Kyrie...were my aging eyes deciving me or was Kyrie wearing only 1 sneaker last night & did he have a dogtag around his neck with the #2 on it?

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    It really seems strange to me that Jason would say this, considering the decision he made to come back even though he was projected to be a top pick after his sophomore season. I'm not questioning whether he said it; I'm just surprised that he did.
    As already noted, Jason has the hindsight of a career killing accident.

However, I think there's another salient distinction. Jason came back when he was in top form. Kyrie is coming off an uncommon, and potentially reoccuring injury without knowing whether he'll ever be 100%. He has already proven he can play, and there is only downside for him now. If he doesn't play, a potential decline will be valued less than an observed decline if he does.

That said, I hope he does play again, because I'm a Duke fan, not a "Duke players in the NBA" fan.

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    What game were you watching last night? If you were watching the Nolan cam Kyrie went over & hugged Nolan and was giving him advice.

Now about Kyrie...were my aging eyes deciving me or was Kyrie wearing only 1 sneaker last night & did he have a dogtag around his neck with the #2 on it?
    He definitely had the chain on with Nolan's jersey on it. I'm pretty sure this is Nolan's chain but Kyrie was wearing it tonight, for support more than likely. I saw two shoes. No limp. There is a picture floating around of Kyrie doing some body workouts (abs, oblique's) on the court prior to warm-ups...

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Who knew he would be a lottery pick when he first signed?
    I think most people believed he would be a lottery pick, although not necessarily top three as is believed now.

In the end, I'm willing to let it all play out without excessive angst. I'll be surprised but not shocked if he comes back for another season.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Yeah, but Jason has also gone on record as saying he was thankful that he came back, because the degree and the connections he made during his junior year were what enabled him to launch into a career in broadcasting. Had he left after his sophomore year and then had the accident, he would have nothing to fall back on.

i did notice that there was a close up shot of Mike Scott's walking boot, which for a second I thought was Kyrie. Perhaps thats what you saw?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    i did notice that there was a close up shot of Mike Scott's walking boot, which for a second I thought was Kyrie. Perhaps thats what you saw?
    It could have been. I was trying to watch the game on TV & the laptop but I could have sworn that Kyrie's 2 feet looked different but then again there was a sea of white sneakers so I could have gotten it mixed-up.
    The 2 tag really stood out because normally Kyrie wears a large cross around his neck.

It could have been. I was trying to watch the game on TV & the laptop but I could have sworn that Kyrie's 2 feet looked different but then again there was a sea of white sneakers so I could have gotten it mixed-up.
    The 2 tag really stood out because normally Kyrie wears a large cross around his neck.
    That was some serious bling that Kyrie was wearing

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Yeah, but Jason has also gone on record as saying he was thankful that he came back, because the degree and the connections he made during his junior year were what enabled him to launch into a career in broadcasting. Had he left after his sophomore year and then had the accident, he would have nothing to fall back on.
    I agree with you. I'm just trying to explain how I see his comment as not being hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    He truly idolizes Nolan Smith. Nolan could have gone pro last year but came back. Why? Because he wanted a shot at a SECOND title and being a leader in his senior year. So I think it is fair to say, that winning the first title was a lot of fun for him and Kyle!!

Now, will that have an impact on KI's decision to go or stay? I think it will be a factor. KI is obviously enjoying the ride so far. Say KI is out for the remainder of the year and IF we get to the FF or with some luck win the NC, will KI see that he can have a chance in doing that if he stays and that be enough to keep him? Don't know.
    In fairness to both Kyrie and Nolan, we don't know what Nolan would have done if he had been projected in the top 3 of last year's draft. So it's hard to predict what, if any, conclusions Kyrie will draw from Nolan's experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    In fairness to both Kyrie and Nolan, we don't know what Nolan would have done if he had been projected in the top 3 of last year's draft. So it's hard to predict what, if any, conclusions Kyrie will draw from Nolan's experience.
    Great insight! Nolan was a low 1st round pick at best (more likely a 2nd round pick). That doesn't make sense to leave early for the NBA.

Kyrie's case is very different from Nolan's - he is a nearly guaranteed top 3 pick (is there such thing as a guaranteed pick?). In the last 5-6 years, the only players who nearly guaranteed top-5 picks and stayed for another year of college were McRoberts and Blake Griffin. It rarely happens. That said, I have a gut feeling that Kyrie stays for another year.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    He also was "fortunate" enough to see his career flash before his eyes - then basically end. I'm not surprised at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I should clarify. Two things:

First, I am surprised that he made comments like these publicly.

Second, there's no question that Jay's injury cost him a career's worth of NBA earnings. But, the injury had nothing to do with his decision to come back to Duke for another year. It's not the same as if he came back and suffered a career-ending injury during a college game or even in a motorcycle accident on the Duke campus.

One might argue that if he had gone to the NBA a year earlier, he would have earned two years worth of NBA salary rather than one year and therefore his decision to come back to Duke was a mistake from a financial perspective. A fair argument, but remember that the Bulls bought him out for $3 million (even though they were not legally obligated to do so), so he did earn approximately what he would have earned in two full seasons. Would the Bulls have bought him out if the accident had happened after two full seasons rather than one? No one knows, but if not, he would have ended up in approximately the same financial position that he did by playing one season and getting the buyout.

All told, when thinking through all of this stuff, as I'm sure Jay has a million times, his decision to come back for his junior year was totally unrelated to the occurrence of the injury itself, and I don't think he can come to the definitive conclusion that coming back to Duke for that year hurt his financial position materially.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Kyrie can revel in the JOY that Nolan is experiencing in playing for Duke and being a NATIONAL POY candidate. Maybe the balance sheet isn't the same, but Kyrie sure has a close-up look on what life for him would probably be like if he stays another year!

i remember jwill speaking during his duke days about having watched nba games in person and being influenced by the lack of fun that the players seemed to be having, and how much influence that had on his decision to stay. maybe the staff ought to just take kyrie to a couple of tuesday night bobcats games.

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    i remember jwill speaking during his duke days about having watched nba games in person and being influenced by the lack of fun that the players seemed to be having, and how much influence that had on his decision to stay. maybe the staff ought to just take kyrie to a couple of tuesday night bobcats games.
    Better yet...a road trip to Cleveland.